Springsteen halftime show

MartinC

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There seems to be a lot of people talking about his energy and intensity. Have any of you been to a high energy punk, hardcore, or metal show? I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but a lot of those bands do take the energy several notches past where Bruce was while also playing very well at the same time. I just don't think his act really qualifies as high energy any more.

It's not a competition, you know.

• Members

SunRaFan - Its not fair to compare say an AMEN show or Meshuggah performance to Bruce Springsteen, not in the slightest bit.

Sure it's fair to compare them. It's all music. If he would have just got up there like Tom Petty and played it would have been fine. I've got no problems with just watching a musician play their music. The jumping around he did was pretty tired schtick. If people think that's actually a high energy performance, they need to get out more. That was a really watered down version of a rock show. The stage show wasn't good, and they had a good group of musicians playing a set of songs they could have done in their sleep.

• Moderators
There seems to be a lot of people talking about his energy and intensity. Have any of you been to a high energy punk, hardcore, or metal show? I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but a lot of those bands do take the energy several notches past where Bruce was while also playing very well at the same time. I just don't think his act really qualifies as high energy any more.

Anger and aggression is often mistaken for energy and intensity.

• Members

You also have to realize that they were playing to the crowd there, and not just the bajillion people watching on TV. What looks like over-acted theatrics on TV probably just looked like some performers trying to put on a good show to the people at the stadium. When you've got people watching you from half a mile away, you need to jump around and act like an imbecile to be seen.

• Members

Anger and aggression is often mistaken for energy and intensity.

There is insight here. Plus, there's a difference between playing mushmetal loud and fast, and playing melodically with intensity and energy. There's many metal bands that do the later, but far, far too many metal bands that play a string of almost unrelated riffs in sequence, very loudly, can call it "intense music". It's the difference between Mastodon (:bor:) and Iron Maiden (:rawk:)

In any event, as I said over in the EG forum earlier, his performance was as good as his contract would allow. Not like the Superbowl wants people to do much more than sell commercials and keep peoples' eyes pointed at the TV during the break.

• Members

I suspect the Springsteen's vs Petty's vs Prince's vs whoever's 13 minutes of Superbowl fame is pretty much a matter of personal taste. They ALL made concensions in terms of their music and show in order to fit the incredibly tight timelines that a Superbowl halftime show imposes - so I'd give them all a pass some of the technical aspects.

Personally - while I'm not a huge fan of Petty, Prince or Springsteen - I thought last night's show was decent. I certainly found it more entertaining that Petty's show (of course I wouldn't walk downstairs to see Petty ... I can't think one of the folks at his level that I'd rather see less) I also thought it was more real than the Prince show with the "penis guitar" behind the silk screen stuff. But, THAT is just personal opinion.

• Members

Yeah, but Bruce was actually good while being energetic. :poke:;)

What's odd to me is that he can do that for three hours straight. :eek:

I think you make a good point. Though I'd also say that Bruce was pretty high energy for a 59 year old guy.

What I want to know is why they had a 3-piece horn section at one point and stuck Clarence with a freaking cowbell?

It was actually a 5 piece section--'bone, two saxes, and two trumpets.

• Members

It sounded like Brucie needs to hit the stair stepper a little more! But I'm sure some of the out-of-breath just just tons of adrenoline from playing a gig that huge.

Well, that and he's playing for 12 minutes, so he can go all-out and not have to pace himself over 3 hours.

• Members

My opinion is this: The music mix was great but the vocal mix was terrible!! Who was running the board?? Don't they know how to turn up the main vocal mike?? I hate it when the band has more snot than the singer, unless there is a lead break! No wonder the guy ran out of gas!:thu:

• Members

Because he cut songs short and like I said a lot of people just said it was a mistake for him to play it. I know some big time fans that were saying that over on a message board fan site I am a member of. You can't take all that 3 hours of energy and try to tap it for 12 minutes. That is where the mistake was. It just was not a good fit I think and in retrospect I wonder what he will think about it a year from now. I am a huge fan of his keyboard players and that shore sound from NJ I just wish he did not do it.

• Members

I've never been able to use an acoustic guitar with an electric band without feedback. Were they turned down and just there for show?

Probably lol.

Hey you're in Media, cool.... I grew up there. Miss it sometimes. Is State St. still fun bar-hopping in the summertime?

• Members

I was struck by how wrinkle-free his face was for a 57 year old - also, you could see the teleprompters embedded in the floor (from another thread).

Well, I did find some stuff last week about who did the work....he's definitely had work done....but done so well his face doesn't look like a mask.

• Members

I've never been able to use an acoustic guitar with an electric band without feedback. Were they turned down and just there for show?

Feedback buster + IEM should solve that problem.

I thought it was an OK show, but not great. I've seen Springsteen in concert before and the shows are amazing but there is a really building process over the three hour span of the show and trying to condense it into 12 minutes is pretty much impossible. And I imagine the power slide was pretty damn painful... he might want to trim that move out of shows.

• Members

I don't do that much of it, but it's still an active scene.

I wasn't part of the music scene back when I lived there, I always wanted to do a gig at Joclyn's (or was that the other bar?... I'm talking about the one that is upstairs) It's all kind of fuzzy now lol. Also for some reason wanted to do a gig at that {censored}ty bar at 5 points (can't remember name either).

Did you grow up around there? Might I know you lol?

Archived