Springsteen halftime show

MartinC

• Members
I don't think that they're the same thing. Aerosmith lip-synced when they played the SB, but they also had Britney Spears (or was it Christina Aguilera?) That certainly was not better. The Stones lip-synced and they sucked. And I say that being a life-long rabid Stones fan. I was quite pleased that they didn't do any of that cross-market crap with Bruce. That was the best part, regardless of lip-syncing, or not.

Actually, I don't think Aerosmith was lip-synced. If you noticed, when Brit was supposed to hand the mic to Steven when they went into an Aerosmith song she held onto it a little too long and his first couple of words weren't there. Now ZZ TOP, that was pathetic!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, I don't think Aerosmith was lip-synced. If you noticed, when Brit was supposed to hand the mic to Steven when they went into an Aerosmith song she held onto it a little too long and his first couple of words weren't there. Now ZZ TOP, that was pathetic!

You may be right about Aerosmith. It was a while back, and my memory get a little fuzzy sometimes. But the very idea of putting those two together was atrocious. Whoever came up with that should be shot and pissed on. I usually am unable to see the super bowl, as I end up working on that day. I missed ZZ Top. Sounds like that was fortunate.

• Members

I don't think he deserves the name "The Boss". He's a bit over rated.

I was bored

Sinatra was the "Chairman of the Board" til he died. Maybe Bruce has slipped a bit, and is no longer "The Boss". Maybe we should just call him "The Assistant Manager".

• Members

No, i didn't know that. That sucks. Ya can't trust anyone anymore.

Apparently the NFL forces performers to use a backing track during the anthem:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/WinterConcert/story?id=6788924&page=1

What they may not know is the reason why it was flawless: Hudson lip-synced the anthem to a previously recorded track, and apparently so did Faith Hill who performed before her.

They did so at the request of Rickey Minor, the pregame show producer. Minor told The Associated Press that he insisted Hudson and Hill, who sang "America the Beautiful" before the anthem, use the tracks the National Football League requires them to submit a week before the game.

• Members

I'm guessing they force the backing tracks for timing purposes.

They know the Anthem is going to last EXACTLY 2:04 and so when the fly over is done its all perfect.

I didnt enjoy her performance at this years bowl at all. When they turned it into a broadway show instead of an accapella version, I thought "dude, this is like the most syruppy, Hysteria'd version I've ever heard".

Blech.

• Members

I'm guessing they force the backing tracks for timing purposes.

They know the Anthem is going to last EXACTLY 2:04 and so when the fly over is done its all perfect.

Good point. It's a bigger show than just a singer. Lots and lots of elements to coordinate.

• Members
you think somebody pulled him aside and said "look, Bruce, baby, that new stuff really sucks balls! stick with the classics!!!" I mean, love him or hate him, the guy has written 5 or 6 of the all time great classic rock songs, thank god he had the good sense to play two of them!

I heard the guy from the Sopranos on the radio a couple days before the super bowl asked why Bruce took the super-bowl gig this time when he has turned it down several times in the past. He said that several band members went to Bruce and asked him, "Hey, we've got a brand new album coming out. Why would we want to perform so 180 million people could hear us just a few days before that?" :rolleyes: He said that Bruce got the message and took the gig.
Anyway, considering that, do you really think Bruce wasn't going to insist on at least one New one on S.B. Sunday ?

EDIT: And it seems to have worked too:
"The Hitsdailydouble.com Web site pegs "Dream" sales between 225,000 and 250,000 units "

• Members

I was only a minimal Bruce fan at best, but appreciate the body of work he has done. I enjoyed the show, given the 12 minutes to do it.

Above and beyond Bruce? I continue to be amazed (and everyone here should understand this) at the seeming miracle job of getting that stage set up/tore down that quickly. Teams and teams of pro roadies are obviously what that takes, but perhaps even more impressive is the job of getting the crowd off and on in a timely manner. Is the crowd provided by the stage company?

Archived