biggrin.gif

This story takes place in the summer of _____________. My band,
___________________ , was playing at _________________ , a local
drinking establishment...
You forgot the opening line:

"Dear Penthouse,

I never thought this would happen to me, but..." biggrin.gif

• Members

Do you most of you guys play in cover bands? I don't know what the hell I do wrong but I have never ever had a girl come on to me, come up to me, even talk to me at a show. WTF am I doing wrong? I'd like to think that I'm a decent looking dude, 6'2" and in shape. I get more chicks when we aren't playing. It must be the music we play. Not girl/bar-whore friendly type of music. I think I scare them more than enchant them. You guys must be playing Bon Jovi and Blink-182 covers.

I'll never forget this one gig we played where the singer for the horrible cover band before us had the balding-with-long-hair thing, was overweight, and wearing a FANNY-PACK! Well there was this smoking red head that was eyeing him up so I figured if she was into this wanker in the this excrutiatingly terrible band that she would be easy prey when my band went on. Well, after the show I tried shooting some attention her way backstage and she glided right past me towards the fanny-pack guy. Yeah, he left with her shortly after. That's when I realized I am doomed and just gave up trying.

• Members
Originally posted by DonaldDemon
Do you most of you guys play in cover bands? I don't know what the hell I do wrong but I have never ever had a girl come on to me, come up to me, even talk to me at a show. WTF am I doing wrong? I'd like to think that I'm a decent looking dude, 6'2" and in shape. I get more chicks when we aren't playing. It must be the music we play. Not girl/bar-whore friendly type of music. I think I scare them more than enchant them. You guys must be playing Bon Jovi and Blink-182 covers.

I'll never forget this one gig we played where the singer for the horrible cover band before us had the balding-with-long-hair thing, was overweight, and wearing a FANNY-PACK! Well there was this smoking red head that was eyeing him up so I figured if she was into this wanker in the this excrutiatingly terrible band that she would be easy prey when my band went on. Well, after the show I tried shooting some attention her way backstage and she glided right past me towards the fanny-pack guy. Yeah, he left with her shortly after. That's when I realized I am doomed and just gave up trying.
I'm thinking she might have just had a thing for fanny packs.

• Members

That's pretty weird. I get approached by women every time we play. I'm not saying they're all hitting on me, but plenty of them want to come up and chat. I'm just an average looking middle aged guy. I do like to make eye contact and show appreciation when the girls are up there dancing though. You got to look like you're having fun. Perhaps you stare at your shoes with a frown on your face?

My drummer has the same problem. He's a niced guy, decent looking, friendly, and the single guy in the band. For some reason I can't understand he can't get any tail at our shows to save his life and there's always something there for the pickings. If you're in a band and you can't get laid every once in a while, you're doing something pretty seriously wrong.

• Members
Originally posted by GCDEF

That's pretty weird. I get approached by women every time we play. I'm not saying they're all hitting on me, but plenty of them want to come up and chat. I'm just an average looking middle aged guy. I do like to make eye contact and show appreciation when the girls are up there dancing though. You got to look like you're having fun. Perhaps you stare at your shoes with a frown on your face?

My drummer has the same problem. He's a niced guy, decent looking, friendly, and the single guy in the band. For some reason I can't understand he can't get any tail at our shows to save his life and there's always something there for the pickings. If you're in a band and you can't get laid every once in a while, you're doing something pretty seriously wrong.
Yeah I do look down when I play and don't attempt to make much eye contact. I figure if I concentrate on playing awesome it will pay off later but it never has. I guess I need to do some more wanking on stage. Most people at original places are lame and don't dance.

• Members
Do you most of you guys play in cover bands? I don't know what the hell I do wrong but I have never ever had a girl come on to me, come up to me, even talk to me at a show. WTF am I doing wrong? I'd like to think that I'm a decent looking dude, 6'2" and in shape. I get more chicks when we aren't playing. It must be the music we play. Not girl/bar-whore friendly type of music.
You probably seem too desperate, and girls hate that. You've got to seem friendly but unimmediate. What kind of music do you play anyway? I scare away perspectives too but that's because I play very experimental music in my bands which people will usually either love or hate. One of my bands might also convince onlookers that I am somehow mentally unstable, so the universal attitude that musician=sex magnet is a little misleading.

I've got to add anther layer to this story: I'm gay, and while I'm out to everyone who knows me I don't look very stereotypical. So my relationships with crowd women can be really funny, especially with the drunken post-modern choreographer types that tend to hang out at my shows. I've diffused more than one possible groupie story for this thread by mentioning my proclivities to them in some funny off-hand way while they are in the early stages of trying to seduce. I keep hoping one of these girls will be like "Oh you should meet my friend John (or whatever..) then... *enter tall shy geeky looking wallflower of my dreams* but it never does. *sigh*

Everytime I run into a fellow fag at one of my shows, he has a boyfriend frown.gif

Being a gay musician playing anything from left-field totally sucks, because I spend all my spare time working on my bands, and the rest of it at dayjob, so I have no time in which meet any queers with half a brain. I can't go to gay bars either, that music drives me up the {censored}ing wall.

mad.gif

• Members

Yeah I do look down when I play and don't attempt to make much eye contact. I figure if I concentrate on playing awesome it will pay off later but it never has. I guess I need to do some more wanking on stage. Most people at original places are lame and don't dance.
Girls don't care how well you play as long as you don't mess up horribly. Make and hold eye contact, smile a bit and have fun with it. Pick a girl, hold here attention and make her think you're playing just for her. Get yourself a mic even if you don't sing, so you can make comments and talk to people too.

I do play in a cover band but I look at it like it's our job to be the life of the party and to entertain people. That requires talking and interacting with people. Once you start that, you'll be tapping booty in no time.

• Members

Most people at original places are lame and don't dance.
You can't dance to a song you've never heard before.

If you want dancers you almost HAVE to have some covers to do. If you refuse to play covers exactly as they appear in recordings, then take the lyrics from some popular song and rewrite the melody to make it your own. It's worked for bands from The Rolling Stones to Marilyn Manson.

• Members
Originally posted by GCDEF

Girls don't care how well you play as long as you don't mess up horribly. Make and hold eye contact, smile a bit and have fun with it. Pick a girl, hold here attention and make her think you're playing just for her. Get yourself a mic even if you don't sing, so you can make comments and talk to people too.

I do play in a cover band but I look at it like it's our job to be the life of the party and to entertain people. That requires talking and interacting with people. Once you start that, you'll be tapping booty in no time.
Nooooo doubt! Dish a lil' schpiel and have fun with it.

Good god I can't wait for our next gig!

tongue.gif

• Members
Originally posted by fuzzball
I play both covers and originals. I am in decent shape and 5'11. I have never had any girl trouble. I think the key is confidence, they like confident men. Get on stage and show them that you owne it.
And for the record, looks don't even matter half as much as confidence and charm when it comes to getting most (worthwhile) women.

Trust me.

Not to say that I'm not unbelievably handsome because I sooooooooo am. Modest too!

redface.gif

• Members

Well coming from a self-confessed "groupie" here's how ya do it fella's:

1. Dress like you belong on stage. If you look like you just rolled out of bed onto the stage it won't happen for you. My favorite 'band guy' outfit...leather pants...yes that's it..just leather pants.

But know your limitations! If you ain't got the body for it, please, please don't do it. Just 'cuz ya own 'em, don't mean they should be on your body. See examples below:

Approriate leather use:
c6.jpg

Inapropriate leather use:
leather.jpg

2. Be confident! It's your stage, own it dammit!!

Appropriate use of the stage: That's effin' HOT!
tk421_317.jpg

3. Move around. Don't stand in one spot all night. Chicks dig a guy who will jump up on a speaker and start playing or one who will jump out into the crowd.

Appropriate use of speaker:...see the chicks digging it?
trizz.jpg

4. Work the room between sets. Go up and talk to people. Flirt with us!! We love the attention.

Ok that's "How to Get Groupies 101." Anybody got any questions?

• Members

to mirror what everyone has said:

girls aren;t interested in guys doing their owns tuff unless they'#re incredibly good looking, an absolutely fantastic band or they're on their way up in the business.

simple as that. there are exceptions to the rule but it boils down to that so you need to make them want you.

one of the best things that ever happened to me during a small gig we done at a party was my ex girlfriends dad coming up to me and saying enjoy yourself, when i said i was he said well {censored}ing smile a little smile.gif it became distrubingly noticeable that even though I'm the token one int he band that can't keep still on stage and am always selling it, I wasn't doing anything with my face at all, I wasn;t giving any impression of really enjoying myself and being into it so now I make a concentrated effort to grin, smile,s mirk etc... while still keepign the moving about, dancing etc... going.

it does make a huge difference witht he crowd.

again with the moving. as people have said: don't stand and look at your feet. I saw a band a couple of years ago who were decent but the main reason i can still remember them over every other small band ive seen is they had a guy singing who wasnt the greatest by a stretch and a girl singing who was amazing.

thing is, the girl looked petrified onstage even when she had this cracking voice coming out of her whereas the guy who couldn't sing {censored}ign owned the stage and made it his even when he wasn;t singing. if you don't look like you belong onstage than it's going to turn people off.

it's all down to confidence and it doesn't take much effort at all and even though you're conscious of thinking k time to smile, time to dance round that chick over there etc... no one else in the crowd is. {censored} if we're doign a big gig and i'm wanting to get psyched up i'll find a mirror ands start pep talking myself in it. looks absolutely ridiculous but it loosens you up so much and again, the only people who see you doign it are you and whoever else is around, everyone out the front just sees a guy whos come out ready to kick ass from go.

btw i decided to start doign that after an old college lecturer told me about a gig he done with a guy in london back in the 60s who was dancing and posing and {censored} in front of a mirror. they all thought it was idiotic till they saw the guy onstage kicking ass on every level. after it said guy came up to the drummer and said hi im mick and this is my mate keith, we really liked your band.
biggrin.gif