Your Eyes While Performing

joshmac

• Members
Simple math.

If you're among the very best or most popular ever in one skill or another you can afford to cut corners in other aspects of your performance.

For those of us that are not? We don't really have that luxury.

ahhh, so that is now considered to be cutting corners under the Guido Bible of Gigging? Brilliant.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am not a big fan of watching folk perform with their eyes closed.

I use the lazy M, lazy W method in that you start by looking at the near side left of stage and follow the path of a giant letter M then when you have got to the near side right of stage shift to far rIght and trace a giant letter W. done slowly it appears that you are taking in every person in the audience naturally and after a while you don't even have to think about doing it.

Steve

• Members

Guitarists are always staring at their guitars while playing. That doesnt look good!

Even experienced guitarists must look at the instrument (or their fingers) while changing chords. Why?? -It looks like they are beginners

they do? What guitarists are you watching?

• Members

I am an eyes closed girl when I'm focused or trying to recall lyrics if I don't have that particular song in my book. I try and flick between checking lyrics out of the corner of my eye and making eye contact with the people who chose to sit within 15-20 feet of me first, then sweep across the room just above peoples heads so it LOOKS like I'm making contact but I'm not, I'm trying to focus on timing, lyrics, tone, dynamic and reaction.

I find that lately I also look down at the floor while I'm giving the guit-box the gears during big songs/everybody sing along kind of tunes.

• Members

ahhh, so that is now considered to be cutting corners under the Guido Bible of Gigging? Brilliant.

Not necessarily. I just think that we should always be striving to do more as opposed to looking for excuses to get away with less. Singing with your eyes closed is OK in bits and pieces but after awhile gets annoying to watch and even starts to look pretentious eventually.

If it's a habit for anyone, I'd suggest working on doing it a bit less and engaging the audience more. As opposed to falling back on "well, Joe Rock Star does it and it doesn't seem to matter..."

• Members

The eyes closed thing is a constant struggle for me...it's very hard to concentrate when you are taking in your surroundings. When I don't have to play an instrument it's no problem at all. I've filled in on vocals only with a couple of bands and it worked out great and I was able to be very engaging. It's just trying hard not to suck on bass (or guitar) while I'm singing that gets me into "eyes wide shut" mode.

I find myself concentrating on keeping my eyes open and then I'll forget the words or hit the wrong string. I might have a bit of a complex about it at this point... :)

Brian V.

• Members

I used to work with a singer who did the eyes-closed thing a lot. Part of it was that he was simply concentrating hard on a note or phrase. Most singers close their eyes when reaching for that 'big' note or whatever. But there was definiately also part of it that was him doing it because he thought it looked cool and made him look like he was a more serious or better singer.

It didn't. It just made him look cold and distant from the audience.

• Members

I dunno..I certainly don't have anything scripted or rehearsed. I'm just hanging out I guess. It's not a huge deal, but occasionally I'm uncomfortable in crowds. Once in a while I get a little claustrophobic in certain situations. Not playing though- I'm as comfortable playing as I am in my living room. So worrying about what I'm looking at or how I'm interacting with people is at the bottom of my thought process. I don't know- I smile, look at people, make eye contact, watch whatever sport is on, check out chicks, and most importantly, people watch because that's about as much fun as playing.

I'm also with Guido on the eye closing thing...

• Moderators
Normally, I'm looking around, making eye contact, smiling, etc.

The other day I looked at a video of me doing an Yngwie song, and I couldn't stop laughing. On this particular song during the verses, there are 2 sustained B4 notes on the vocal, with a little D5 grace note leading into it. At the same time as those notes, there is a complex picked run on guitar. I noticed that pretty much every time this little event occurred, my eyes rolled COMPLETELY back in my head in concentration.
:lol:

Something to work on.
:o

No, don't change that...if you make it all look effortless, no one will appreciate it...like anything else, the guy who sweats get the raise... ;)

• Members

I am not a big fan of watching folk perform with their eyes closed.

I use the lazy M, lazy W method in that I start by looking at the near side left of stage and follow the path of a giant letter M then when o have got to the near side right of stage shift to far rIght and trace a giant letter W. done slowly it appears that you are taking in every person in the audience naturally and after a while you don't even have to think about doing it.

Steve

Really good idea. Going to give that a shot this weekend. I am a shoegazer when playing, an eyes closed/sunglasses guy when singing.

• Members

Normally, I'm looking around, making eye contact, smiling, etc.

The other day I looked at a video of me doing an Yngwie song, and I couldn't stop laughing. On this particular song during the verses, there are 2 sustained B4 notes on the vocal, with a little D5 grace note leading into it. At the same time as those notes, there is a complex picked run on guitar. I noticed that pretty much every time this little event occurred, my eyes rolled COMPLETELY back in my head in concentration.
:lol:

Something to work on.
:o

What are B4 and D5 notes? Been playing guitar for more than 30 years and never heard of these.

• Members

That is really cool and makes great sense for explaining the notes on a guitar especially easy

Yeah, you'll notice singers in particular use it a lot when talking about their range or the range required for a particular song, or even hitting certain notes in a song.

Archived