Your Eyes While Performing

joshmac

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Not necessarily. I just think that we should always be striving to do more as opposed to looking for excuses to get away with less. Singing with your eyes closed is OK in bits and pieces but after awhile gets annoying to watch and even starts to look pretentious eventually.

If it's a habit for anyone, I'd suggest working on doing it a bit less and engaging the audience more. As opposed to falling back on "well, Joe Rock Star does it and it doesn't seem to matter..."

Obviously I didn't mean standing on stage for 4 hours with one's eyes closed. Golly. If you read my first post you'd know that. I just certainly can't see calling Joe Pass, or Dave Matthews, or srv (and on and on) lazy and uncaring because they close their eyes for a short time when they are really into the music. Same with any of us smalltimers here. I think this level could use a little more true music passion.

• Members
I used to work with a singer who did the eyes-closed thing a lot. Part of it was that he was simply concentrating hard on a note or phrase. Most singers close their eyes when reaching for that 'big' note or whatever. But there was definiately also part of it that was him doing it because he thought it looked cool and made him look like he was a more serious or better singer.

It didn't. It just made him look cold and distant from the audience.

I would say if a person has that fakey attitude to begin with, many things he/she does will come off looking silly and unnatural, not just closing one's eyes periodically.

• Members

I dunno..I certainly don't have anything scripted or rehearsed. I'm just hanging out I guess. It's not a huge deal, but occasionally I'm uncomfortable in crowds. Once in a while I get a little claustrophobic in certain situations. Not playing though- I'm as comfortable playing as I am in my living room. So worrying about what I'm looking at or how I'm interacting with people is at the bottom of my thought process. I don't know- I smile, look at people, make eye contact, watch whatever sport is on, check out chicks, and most importantly, people watch because that's about as much fun as playing.

I'm also with Guido on the eye closing thing...

weren't they closed on much of that DREAMS vid you recently posted? :p

• Members

I would say if a person has that fakey attitude to begin with, many things he/she does will come off looking silly and unnatural, not just closing one's eyes periodically.

Well, yeah. Everyone closes their eyes periodically when singing or soloing. I don't think that's what is being talked about here though. I think what's being referred to in this thread are the people who do it constantly and who never really make eye contact with the crowd because they are just so into their own performance.

• Members

I thought you always argued FOR a formula that is proven to be successful.

Closing one's eyes is part of a formula for success? No. That's simply something that for some people who are so good at other things, it didn't end up being the distraction for them that it often is for others.

I think it's probably a pretty good rule of thumb that anything that gets posted in a forum such as this as generally perceived to be a negative mostly likely is. No one has ever bought an album or a concert ticket BECAUSE a guy closed his eyes a lot or used a music stand or whatever else gets talked about a lot. That some people are good enough to rise above those distractions? Good for them.

Most of us aren't that good or else we'd BE one of those exceptions instead of part of the rule.

• Members
Closing one's eyes is part of a formula for success? No. That's simply something that for some people who are so good at other things, it didn't end up being the distraction for them that it often is for others.

I think it's probably a pretty good rule of thumb that anything that gets posted in a forum such as this as generally perceived to be a negative mostly likely is.
No one has ever bought an album or a concert ticket BECAUSE a guy closed his eyes a lot
or used a music stand or whatever else gets talked about a lot. That some people are good enough to rise above those distractions? Good for them.

Most of us aren't that good or else we'd BE one of those exceptions instead of part of the rule.

On the other hand, I seriously doubt that anyone has NOT bought a ticket because of it either.

• Members

On the other hand, I seriously doubt that anyone has NOT bought a ticket because of it either.

I disagree. I think poor performance skills result in musicians and bands not being able to sell tickets ALL THE TIME. It's probably the main reason some acts do better than others. Closing one's eyes a lot, in and of itself, may not be that great of an offense, but such things rarely exist in a vacuum. Add that on top of what are likely a lot of other things that aren't that enjoyable to watch and pretty soon you've got an act that nobody much cares to see perform live.

• Members
I disagree. I think poor performance skills result in musicians and bands not being able to sell tickets ALL THE TIME. It's probably the main reason some acts do better than others. Closing one's eyes a lot, in and of itself, may not be that great of an offense, but such things rarely exist in a vacuum. Add that on top of what are likely a lot of other things that aren't that enjoyable to watch and pretty soon you've got an act that nobody much cares to see perform live.

except your contention that it is poor performance skills. I disagree totally. I agree that poor performance skills translate into poor performance, duh. I don't see where truly being into a song is poor performance.

• Members

except your contention that it is poor performance skills. I disagree totally. I agree that poor performance skills translate into poor performance, duh. I don't see where truly being into a song is poor performance.

closing your eyes too much=not connecting with the audience.

Not connecting with the audience=poor performance skills.

I find it interesting that you seem to think that everything you personally like is exactly what every performer needs to do. The songs YOU like to play are perfect. They are the ones young girls dig the most in your area. The clothes YOU like to wear, the stage moves YOU like to do---all seem to be the perfect way to connect to the audience. I've been reading your posts a long time, Tom, and I don't know if I can recall you EVER talking about how you've changed anything based on audience response, or tried something new you read about a band doing in this forum, or relating a story about you ever learning anything regarding gigging and how you've changed what you do, or maybe do something that isn't 100% comfortable for you but you do it because the audience likes it better. It's always just comments about how what you do is perfect the way it is. The crowd loves it. No need to improve anything.

Maybe you've done those things and just don't like to post about them? Or maybe you have posted about them and I've just missed them? But my impression is you really don't think you've got anything to work on or try to improve in your performances, setlists or working with the crowd.

Is that really how it is for you? It's all just about perfect? Your band is knocking them dead every night and packing them in so no need to ever try anything different or look at what you do critically?

• Members

Jose Feliciano does pretty good. I worked with a blind singer once that had lots of charisma, and was pretty good at talking to the audience. It's all in one's attitude.

I remember seeing the Grease Band live and the guitarist/singer did some goofy looks with his eyes. I thought he looked cheesy, and would've liked him more with his eyes shut, or with his back to the audience even, lol.

• Members

weren't they closed on much of that DREAMS vid you recently posted?
:p

Thanks for making me watch my own video. My eyes weren't closed once. Apparently the angle of the camera and me looking down at my looper, neck or harmonizer make it appear that way. But no- you won't see me close my eyes, roll around on the floor, put my foot on a wedge or any other of the cliche' things that players do.

• Members
Thanks for making me watch my own video. My eyes weren't closed once. Apparently the angle of the camera and me looking down at my looper, neck or harmonizer make it appear that way. But no- you won't see me close my eyes, roll around on the floor, put my foot on a wedge or any other of the cliche' things that players do.

you don't use a wedge, do you? Or have picks to flick?? :) All that nauseating 80s stuff? I don't think closing one's eyes is cliche` if you don't do it for effect.

• Members
closing your eyes too much=not connecting with the audience.

Not connecting with the audience=poor performance skills.

I find it interesting that you seem to think that everything you personally like is exactly what every performer needs to do. The songs YOU like to play are perfect. They are the ones young girls dig the most in your area. The clothes YOU like to wear, the stage moves YOU like to do---all seem to be the perfect way to connect to the audience. I've been reading your posts a long time, Tom, and I don't know if I can recall you EVER talking about how you've changed anything based on audience response, or tried something new you read about a band doing in this forum, or relating a story about you ever learning anything regarding gigging and how you've changed what you do, or maybe do something that isn't 100% comfortable for you but you do it because the audience likes it better. It's always just comments about how what you do is perfect the way it is. The crowd loves it. No need to improve anything.

Maybe you've done those things and just don't like to post about them? Or maybe you have posted about them and I've just missed them? But my impression is you really don't think you've got anything to work on or try to improve in your performances, setlists or working with the crowd.

Is that really how it is for you? It's all just about perfect? Your band is knocking them dead every night and packing them in so no need to ever try anything different or look at what you do critically?

you don't read my posts very well evidently.

• Members

you don't use a wedge, do you? Or have picks to flick??
:)
All that nauseating 80s stuff? I don't think closing one's eyes is cliche` if you don't do it for effect.

All of it just seems like one is trying to hard when they go down that road. But who am I to say?? ;)

• Members
Oh ok.

I define and defend what works for me/us, and in context of what we are trying to accomplish. I always leave plenty of room for others to do what works best for them in their situation and in accordance of what they want to accomplish. How many times have I said, what works for one situation doesn't necessarily work for another. A few people here want to have a single outline to stringently follow for all bands, regardless of their desires and situations. That just doesn't work. And I've learned plenty on these forums, especially LS and EG, as well as from watching other bands. If it makes sense for my situation I try to incorporate it somehow, or it may just jolt another idea that might work too.

Archived