Your Eyes While Performing

joshmac

• Members

I define and defend what works for me/us, and in context of what we are trying to accomplish.

That's cool. I've just never heard you talk about much--not every really--about what you're trying to accomplish and what's working and not working on your path to getting there. Except maybe for sound and lights. But nothing really relating to the stage performance itself. Most all I see are sly backhands and resistance to stuff like in this thread: "there's exceptions", "I get really good response when I close MY eyes".... That's great if you're getting the results you want for your situation but A) not everyone is looking for your situation and B) you've never really laid out what your situation is or what you're looking to accomplish.

Most of the guys (like me) who you probably think of as the ones who "want to have a single outline to stringently follow for all bands" are all REALLY CLEAR about who our bands are, what we do, and what works and doesn't work to achieve those goals. So I think it SHOULD be pretty obvious when I'm talking about "this works for me" that it's probably fairly specific to what I do and since you know what that is, you can take it or leave it as need be.

OTHO, when you tell me that wearing shorts and ballcaps on stage is perfect for your situation and your goals and what you're trying to accomplish....hell, I don't even know what those ARE. What ARE you trying to accomplish? So how can anyone else even decide whether your advice is applicable to them or not? :confused:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
That's cool. I've just never heard you talk about much--not every really--about what you're trying to accomplish and what's working and not working on your path to getting there. Except maybe for sound and lights. But nothing really relating to the stage performance itself. Most all I see are sly backhands and resistance to stuff like in this thread: "there's exceptions", "I get really good response when I close MY eyes".... That's great if you're getting the results you want for your situation but A) not everyone is looking for your situation and B) you've never really laid out what your situation is or what you're looking to accomplish.

Most of the guys (like me) who you probably think of as the ones who "want to have a single outline to stringently follow for all bands" are all REALLY CLEAR about who our bands are, what we do, and what works and doesn't work to achieve those goals. So I think it SHOULD be pretty obvious when I'm talking about "this works for me" that it's probably fairly specific to what I do and since you know what that is, you can take it or leave it as need be.

OTHO, when you tell me that wearing shorts and ballcaps on stage is perfect for your situation and your goals and what you're trying to accomplish....hell, I don't even know what those ARE. What ARE you trying to accomplish? So how can anyone else even decide whether your advice is applicable to them or not?
:confused:

But that's the point. Defending what works in my/our particular situation is NOT the same thing as giving advice.

• Members

But that's the point. Defending what works in my/our particular situation is NOT the same thing as giving advice.

But if you know that your situation is so much different than someone elses, then why even feel the need to defend it? And if your POV is not really about giving advice to others who might be in a similar situation as you, then who exactly are you defending yourself TO?

• Members
But if you know that your situation is so much different than someone elses, then why even feel the need to defend it? And if your POV is not really about giving advice to others who might be in a similar situation as you, then who exactly are you defending yourself TO?

those who are in very different situations yet keep giving these firm blanket statements about "this cannot be done" or "this is how you need to do things".

• Members

those who are in very different situations yet keep giving these firm blanket statements about "this cannot be done" or "this is how you need to do things".

I understand where you're coming from but consider something: you've always been kinda vague about what your situation is. Almost purposely so it seems sometimes. So anyone who says "this cannot be done" PROBABLY doesn't consider themselves to be talking to you since they don't know what your situation is. And unless you're clear about where you're coming from, it's hard to understand what your defense means.

If someone says "Don't close your eyes onstage" and you say "well, it's never held me back to do so"---what does that mean? Where do you play? How often? What sort of rooms? What kind of gigs? How big are the stages? How close is the crowd? How big is the crowd? Are these regular fans, close friends, family, complete strangers who've never seen your band before? Held back from what? Where are you going? Or are you already there? ALL those things are relevant to discussions about most ANYTHING.

Of all the regular posters here, I probably know less about what your band does than just about anyone else. And I'm here a lot, so I'm probably not alone in thinking that.

Not telling you to change anything you do---just giving you something to think about next time somebody posts something that you think warrants a defensive response.

• Members
I understand where you're coming from but consider something: you've always been kinda vague about what your situation is. Almost purposely so it seems sometimes. So anyone who says "this cannot be done" PROBABLY doesn't consider themselves to be talking to you since they don't know what your situation is. And unless you're clear about where you're coming from, it's hard to understand what your defense means.

If someone says "Don't close your eyes onstage" and you say "well, it's never held me back to do so"---what does that mean? Where do you play? How often? What sort of rooms? What kind of gigs? How big are the stages? How close is the crowd? How big is the crowd? Are these regular fans, close friends, family, complete strangers who've never seen your band before? Held back from what? Where are you going? Or are you already there? ALL those things are relevant to discussions about most ANYTHING.

Of all the regular posters here, I probably know less about what your band does than just about anyone else. And I'm here a lot, so I'm probably not alone in thinking that.

Not telling you to change anything you do---just giving you something to think about next time somebody posts something that you think warrants a defensive response.

Well, I've described it plenty of times.

• Members

Well, I've described it plenty of times.

OK. Maybe I've missed it then. I know you play in a three piece that's sometimes a two piece and that you play mostly classic rock in bars. But I don't recall you ever giving a "gig report". "Wow! Great crowd last night! 300 people through the door! Had to set up in a small corner, so we couldn't use the back truss. First set was a little slow, but we really got them rockin' in the 2nd. 3rd set was a little slow at first---might be time to drop Song X...but they really like Song Y... might be time to find more like that! Trying to get booked into this new club across town--they seem to like a bit different type of bands, but they pay well and I think if we get in there, we'll kick ass too. Might have to learn a couple of different songs though. Don't know if it's worth it or not" Or whatever the usual stuff is people post that really give others a clear idea of what's going on with their bands.

Really, as I've told others recently--I know I post a lot and irritate the {censored} out of some people with my seemingly 'one sided' view of the music business. But the antidote to that is for others to post more about what they are doing and what works for them and provide clear alternative paths. Not just throw soft lobs from the sidelines.

• Members
OK. Maybe I've missed it then. I know you play in a three piece that's sometimes a two piece and that you play mostly classic rock in bars. But I don't recall you ever giving a "gig report". "Wow! Great crowd last night! 300 people through the door! Had to set up in a small corner, so we couldn't use the back truss. First set was a little slow, but we really got them rockin' in the 2nd. 3rd set was a little slow at first---might be time to drop Song X...but they really like Song Y... might be time to find more like that! Trying to get booked into this new club across town--they seem to like a bit different type of bands, but they pay well and I think if we get in there, we'll kick ass too. Might have to learn a couple of different songs though. Don't know if it's worth it or not" Or whatever the usual stuff is people post that really give others a clear idea of what's going on with their bands.

Really, as I've told others recently--I know I post a lot and irritate the {censored} out of some people with my seemingly 'one sided' view of the music business. But the antidote to that is for others to post more about what they are doing and what works for them and provide clear alternative paths. Not just throw soft lobs from the sidelines.

Haven't done the duo for a couple years. Mostly the 3-piece band and a couple solo gigs/month. The band is mostly bluesy, thrashy, folky, grungy, rootsy, funky rock with a little reggae thrown in. Maybe 6-8 originals/night. And a few basic classic/modern rock songs. I've posted set lists many times. We also host a blues jam for a club every other Thursday night.

• Members

that doesn't sound very natural. It doesn't work if you are "trying" to do it.

I'm very good at looking natural with my back turned to the audience. My audiences seem to love it. It's never held me back. Young girls come up all the time and tell me how cool the painting on the back of my jacket is and wonder where they can get one. I have mirrors on the side of my lapels so I can look back and see how much they are whooping it up on the dancefloor to the Dylan tunes.

• Members
I'm very good at looking natural with my back turned to the audience. My audiences seem to love it. It's never held me back. Young girls come up all the time and tell me how cool the painting on the back of my jacket is and wonder where they can get one. I have mirrors on the side of my lapels so I can look back and see how much they are whooping it up on the dancefloor to the Dylan tunes.

isn't this a clever post.

Archived