What's your next acoustic guitar purchase?

u6crash

• Members

Asking for inspiration.

I've been looking for work since March, and one of my first celebratory purchases will be a nicer acoustic guitar than I've usually purchased. I've got a mahogany Carvin Cobalt that I kind of like and a Art & Lutherie parlor guitar. I don't have any brand allegiances, but I do kind of enjoy being a contrarian (I like less popular things, so probably not a Martin or Taylor). 

Kind of been eyeing Guild. Open to other things. What's your dream steel string acoustic?

• Members
22 hours ago, BeeLectro said:

If you've got a parlor and a dread, get an OM. Having two OMs identical except for back and side woods was a gas for me. As soon as I switched from one to the other my ears thanked me. I'd go back forth all afternoon.

I've never had an OO or an OM. My parlor guitar is an Art & Lutherie (of the Godin family) and I bought it sight unseen because it was a discounted model. 

Edited by u6crash

• Members
6 hours ago, garthman said:

Go to a good music store - several if you can - and play as many guitars as you can within your budget. Pick the one that you like best irrespective of the name on the headstock.

I may do this when the time comes, but they are few and far between where I live. I'd have to make a day of it and go to the city.

• Members
2 hours ago, daddymack said:

hmm...I have recently picked up a Cordoba [nylon string]....I have plenty of giggable acoustic steel strings, and I missed a good gig because I had given away my only classical about a decade ago.....

I now have five classical guitars. Nylon rules.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, garthman said:

I now have five classical guitars. Nylon rules.

The tonal difference between steel and nylon is lost on many. I missed not having the classical [but it went to a good home].  It was a '77 Goya [the early Martin era].

The Cordoba is not a 'classical' in the classical sense. It is a/e, with a cutaway. They call it a 'Crossover', it is in their Fusion line. There is a definite difference playing a radiused neck vs a wide flat neck, and the Cordoba has a 1.88" [48mm] nut width, 25.6" scale, 16" radius, 'C'-shaped, 19 fret neck [joint at 12th fret].

Much closer to a steel string guitar as far as neck feel. The scale length is odd at first, and getting used to the 12th fret joint is a challenge when you are used to 14 frets clear.

And I keep telling myself, 'that is the last guitar you are getting unless you sell of some others...'

And I want to believe that that is true....:rolleyes2:

• Like 1

• Members
16 hours ago, daddymack said:

The tonal difference between steel and nylon is lost on many. I missed not having the classical [but it went to a good home].  It was a '77 Goya [the early Martin era].

The Cordoba is not a 'classical' in the classical sense. It is a/e, with a cutaway. They call it a 'Crossover', it is in their Fusion line. There is a definite difference playing a radiused neck vs a wide flat neck, and the Cordoba has a 1.88" [48mm] nut width, 25.6" scale, 16" radius, 'C'-shaped, 19 fret neck [joint at 12th fret].

Much closer to a steel string guitar as far as neck feel. The scale length is odd at first, and getting used to the 12th fret joint is a challenge when you are used to 14 frets clear.

And I keep telling myself, 'that is the last guitar you are getting unless you sell of some others...'

And I want to believe that that is true....:rolleyes2:

Nylon is next on my wish list.  Looking at the Cordoba C9 Crossover in particular.   I :sm-heart: mahogany!  

• Like 1

• Members
18 hours ago, daddymack said:

The tonal difference between steel and nylon is lost on many. .  .  .

The Cordoba is not a 'classical' in the classical sense. It is a/e, with a cutaway. They call it a 'Crossover',

And I keep telling myself, 'that is the last guitar you are getting unless you sell of some others...'And I want to believe that that is true....:rolleyes2:

I play probably 85% nylon strings these days. It wasn't alweays so: although my first guitar was a classical I bought a steel string a couple of years later and played that (and other steel string guitars I accumulated) most of the time. I began the switch back to nylon about 6 or 7 years ago and have never regretted it.

I did once own a Yamaha APX-6NA crossover but sold it on after a year or so - it just didn't have the tone of a true classical.

And (LOL) I took the same decision last year about not buying another git without selling another - keeping to it so far.

Edited by garthman
  • Like 1