I’m looking for a good small scale acoustic for RV camping

Yakburger

• Moderators

The Baby Taylor is less expensive, but the GS Mini kills it as far as tone and volume.  The Martin Mini [LX series] are priced the same as the Baby T.

Other options: Yamaha JR1, Ibanez EWP13DBO 'piccolo', Epiphone 'Li'l Tex'. Luna 'Safari, Guild 'Jumbo Junior',  Traveler 'Redlands', Gretsch 'Jim Dandy', Breedlove 'Passport Traveler'...

If you are in an RV, why scale down?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi All!

About a year or so ago I stumbled across a Yamaha APX 900 (under a pile of wood in a second-hand shop. I got it for 150 euros because it was scratched up.

It's 

Body Style Thinline with Cutaway
String Scale 25 9/16″
Body Depth 3 1/8″ – 3 9/16″

It sounds fine acoustic, (without the boom of a bigger-bodied guitar) and really nice plugged in.

AND...

This afternoon I'm going to see a Tanglewood TW73 which is a parlor-sized guitar. I've heard great things about them and I have found one that is very reasonably priced, so fingers crossed!

I think I (kind of accidentally) played a cheap parlor guitar years ago when I was looking for a dread and nearly bought it, so I'm hoping this little Tanglewood can work some sort of magic on me... 

• Members

oh damn!

I'd heard a lot about these Tanglewood TW-73s, and I can confirm everything good you've heard! Yep I bought it!

Easy to play, great sounding, articulate, great bass response, sounds LOUD!  I've got a Seagull S6 that I picked up for my son (and then ended up getting back in a 'swap' from him when I realised that he was lusting after my (FAVORITE!) Yamaha and would end up playing guitar a lot more if I just gave it to him! :)

The Seagull seems huge against the TW73 but that little parlor guitar is louder, and sounds so different.

Is it the mystical 'short-scale length' thingy that makes it so easy to play? (Or just the old crappy strings that I hesitate to change for the moment....!?

I feel as though I've fallen into a parallel guitar world...today I'm going to see a Tangelwood TW15 NS which has great reviews...again REALLY cheap, so two new guitars in two days?! ...sheesh!  (I guess the great thing about giving away your favorite guitar is the leeway that gives you in terms of really going out looking for something to replace it! :)

• Like 1

• Members

Congratulations. Tanglewood guitars are very good instruments - I've never played a poor one.

It's a UK company that started out in the late 80's with instruments designed and Qced in the UK but made in Korea (I believe by Cort). Look out for some of the early models: Earth 100, 200, 500. Absolutely amazing guitars for the price.

Edited by garthman

• Members
9 hours ago, garthman said:

Congratulations. Tanglewood guitars are very good instruments - I've never played a poor one.

It's a UK company that started out in the late 80's with instruments designed and Qced in the UK but made in Korea (I believe by Cort). Look out for some of the early models: Earth 100, 200, 500. Absolutely amazing guitars for the price.

Hello Garthman!

Yes indeed... I'm especially lucky because very few people in France have even heard of them. I bought the TW15NS (quite a premium model) today, and the guy didn't even really know the brand ("Don't know...someone gave it to me 10 years ago"). 180 euros for something in the Sundance range seems a good deal!

So the deed is done...came home with that one too, explained everything away to my wife (phew!), and really played them both properly.

They both feel kind of 'open' and 'relaxed' if that makes sense (especially that little parlor guitar). They feel and sound great... that's about all I need! :)