The sun is setting

Idunno

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
1 hour ago, Glenn F said:

Is this the 5 minute argument, or the whole ½ hour?

1) I spend a lot less time online than I used to. Serious health issues can put things in perspective, like that.

2) The incompetent format changing was a turn off for many people, including me. As was the 'find user reviews' game.

3) Thanks to the gurus here like Freeman, I have a good basic knowledge of acoustic guitars, and how to look for fundamental issues. This knowledge has served me well, over the years.

4) welcoming newbies is simply being welcoming. Doesn't need any explanation.

5) The PP is for people with too much time on their hands, and too much bile in their souls. I rarely posted there. I found it toxic and depressing.

6) BTW, I bought a Guild F-40 jumbo in August. I give it 10/10. I don't do NGDs anymore, though.

This^^^! (I didn't get a Guild, but have 'accidently' picked up three used (but sweet) guitars in the last year.

Honestly, I kind of agree with everyone in this thread.

Yes... there's a kind of apathy...maybe that's what is supposed to happen as you get older and the thrill of connecting with people online has become more commonplace (and we actually don't need advice so much).

And yes, regret the old place (and my old threads).

I now spend a LOT more time playing/practicing and much less talking about it...so that's probably a good thing. The excitement has shifted there.

You all seem like a fine bunch and I don't have much by way of complaint...(except my rather inoffensive swearwords being censored... Sheesh...doubt THAT offends anyone at all...

Regardless, I thank you all for the fine welcome I've always enjoyed and the knowledge that you've all shared with over the years. 

• Members

I expect the PP has gone down, under Dendy, et al. I looked in a couple of times, and it wasn't the complete {censored}storm it once was.

My favourite part of HCAG for the last number of years has been watching Freeman's builds. There is where I keep learning stuff, and it's always a pleasure to watch the instrument develop from pieces of wood to beautiful i.nstruments. It's science, but it's magic. 

Anyway, though all these years, I have learned valuable information, shared and enjoyed a bit of music. 

Another great aspect is VOM1T, though I've rarely participated. I hope to do this in the future, but due to health issues, will have to wait.

This place always struck me, with one or two fussbucket exceptions, as very friendly. This forum was my main hang until the 'upgrades' hit the fan.

The Guild is a superb guitar. Great lows, more pronounced mids than a Martin, nice highs, great neck, pretty much flawless out if the box. Didn't even need a setup. That's rare, for me. Drop 'D' rattles the bones, and this guitar goes to 11. I would highly reccomend anyone looking for a spruce/ hog large body guitar, to check them out. The spruce's grain is very tight, the workmanship as good as I've seen, better than some Martins that habe passed through my hands. And I think, for the US prices I've seen, a steal

• Members

Oh yeah, I'm finally making progress with Travispicking,my bane. I can play Dear Prudence and Julia correctly now. When I get it right, I feel the same euphoria I felt when I began learning 46.5 years ago. In improvising around with that technique, I see the vast potential to open up my playing exponentially. The first tips I received for doing this type of picking came from you guys. 

• Moderators
On 10/25/2020 at 6:24 PM, Idunno said:

Then, the goody two shoes police arrived and the place simply vanished through negligent software experimentation and debilitating badge polishing at the moderation level.

Sure, I can go on and on about the acoustic guitar, what makes it tick (thank you Freeman and others) and what makes it work for me (45 years of playing) but there's no real demand for that here anymore because the place is lost in space. At it's worst it was head and shoulders more informative than any of the period forum sites. It was a heavy-weight kingpin of a place and all the ridicule that it might have garnered still didn't warrant sanitizing it for junior.

Anyway, the heart of this place - the normal human behavioral condition - was barred from exercising further freedom and that was this place's cause for demise. ...

I will gladly agree that the multiple platform changes, and botched data rollovers killed HC in general, and specific OT forums particularly...when Gibson took us over, the 'sanitizing' was, I'll say it, heavy-handed and extreme, but deemed necessary by the admins to meet the new owner's goals.

I'm not sure I would blame the moderators [I'm not even certain who was/were the mod[s] for the AGF, if there was one assigned] because we are simply volunteers who try to keep the peace, and frankly, there are only a few of us left. Many walked off after the 1st platform change. Some of us believed we would get that one working [some of us had flat out told admin the platform was not designed for our volume]. When they all came to realize we were right, and moved again, the move was so poorly done that we lost ~80% of our regulars...

So..HC is not what it once was, and frankly will never get back to that point. Social media has usurped the time on line for many, and frustration turned off many more. Yes, they shot themselves in the groin, and we are still bleeding out...

but...all the former owners and admins are gone, and there is an opportunity to make this a better place....:wave:

• Members

Ordinarily I wouldn't be saying anything here but an interesting coincidence has just happened.   

A couple of you might remember me, I was somewhat active 10 or 12 years ago.   Built a couple of guitars, fixed a few more, contributed some bad music, talked a lot.   Helped old Krash with the Annex.    The forum changed, maybe I changed - it didn't suit my needs and I moved on.   I kept a book mark and once in a while I would pop in, look at the titles and dates and one post wonders and shake my head and go back to where I've been hiding.

The other day I got a PM.   Normally I wouldn't have noticed, at least for a few months, but they send an e-mail notification when you get a PM.   It was from an old friend from the old days, he (or more correctly, his daughter) had been the recipient of one of our capers.   Does anyone remember capers?   We had a few and they were one of the things about this forum that made me proud.   I simply cannot imagine another internet discussion group coming together the way we did back then.

Anyway, he wondered if I still had a link to the original story - I don't and it probably wouldn't work if I did.   I still have a text file that I used to compose my part of the saga - I sent him that and a few pictures.    I did a quick search to see if I could find it - I frankly don't remember the title - anyway it comes up empty.

I'll log out and shut down, but I thought the timing was interesting and it did remind me of happy days here and some wonderful people that I have met and known.

• Members
34 minutes ago, Freeman Keller said:

Ordinarily I wouldn't be saying anything here but an interesting coincidence has just happened.   

A couple of you might remember me, I was somewhat active 10 or 12 years ago.   Built a couple of guitars, fixed a few more, contributed some bad music, talked a lot.   Helped old Krash with the Annex.    The forum changed, maybe I changed - it didn't suit my needs and I moved on.   I kept a book mark and once in a while I would pop in, look at the titles and dates and one post wonders and shake my head and go back to where I've been hiding.

The other day I got a PM.   Normally I wouldn't have noticed, at least for a few months, but they send an e-mail notification when you get a PM.   It was from an old friend from the old days, he (or more correctly, his daughter) had been the recipient of one of our capers.   Does anyone remember capers?   We had a few and they were one of the things about this forum that made me proud.   I simply cannot imagine another internet discussion group coming together the way we did back then.

Anyway, he wondered if I still had a link to the original story - I don't and it probably wouldn't work if I did.   I still have a text file that I used to compose my part of the saga - I sent him that and a few pictures.    I did a quick search to see if I could find it - I frankly don't remember the title - anyway it comes up empty.

I'll log out and shut down, but I thought the timing was interesting and it did remind me of happy days here and some wonderful people that I have met and known.

So you’re done?  No longer going to be involved in any way?

35 minutes ago, Freeman Keller said:

'll log out and shut down

Well, if so, it was nice meeting you.  
yep.  forum done gone died.  I’ll slink back to PP and AGF, the other one, for ag related stuff.  Best of everything to you guys.:wave:

• Members
51 minutes ago, Gibson29 said:

So you’re done?  No longer going to be involved in any way?

Well, if so, it was nice meeting you.  
yep.  forum done gone died.  I’ll slink back to PP and AGF, the other one, for ag related stuff.  Best of everything to you guys.:wave:

No, I will stop by from time to time and if I can contribute something, I will.   

• Members

Saturday, 10/31/2020, a total of 10 forum posts, discounting site-irrelevant posts in PP, were all the attention afforded this site by its membership. All you need to do is take a look in Activity and see what happening. To avoid PP's postings under Activity, don't log in to get relevant posts.

Farewell and adieu to you young Spanish ladies...

• Members

Actually, Auld Lang Syne comes to mind but that's the Free Bird of traditional laments. I packed up the guitars a while ago when doing some work in the house. I'll have yet to dig them out of storage, re-string them and see if they have anything they care to sing about. Thanks for the reminder. .

• 2 weeks later...

Archived