The sun is setting

Idunno

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
16 hours ago, Gibson29 said:

Hi guys! Ā Whatā€™s in this particular forum? Ā Regs donā€™t seem to be interested in carrying on guitar related convo, one-time posters abound with ..interesting questions, but never make it beyond one post, the regs thatĀ doĀ want to keep the AG section viable treat them with embarrassingly royal treatment (my opinion), the whole ā€œwelcome to the forumā€, or ā€œbefore I forget my mannersā€ stuff obviously isnā€™t well received, and itā€™s kind of creepy, no one does that. Ā 
Ā 

ā€œWelcome to Facebookā€, ā€œbefore I forget my manners, let me welcome you to....ā€ donā€™t know why you guys do it, but ok.

Just keep it real, answer the one posters and stop BEGGING them to come back. Ā If folks keep it civil, informative, and not cynical (yeah, Iā€™m a cynic..sorry) maybe people would populate. Ā Itā€™s a joke to even the regulars.

Post recently about a bulge, normal acoustic guitar bulge. Ā First poster. Ā I said ā€œall acoustics have bulgesā€. Ā 5 after said the same thing, yet had to ā€œwelcomeā€(see above). Ā First look from anyone is that desperation plays a hand, and no one really cares to interact with others. Ā Iā€™d be surprised if that person came back. Ā No mistake, good info, but all caught up in their own ego, no ā€œcommunityā€.

Nope. Ā The regs here have blown it. My opinion only.

I will slink back to PP now and continue my important work in the meme thread.Ā šŸ˜†

Well, it's because we old timers are largely polite and courteous. Our parents taught us that good manners and respect for other people were essential requirements for living in a civilized way. Alas many people of later generations live their life in their bedrooms with their face stuck to a phone extolling their self interests.

• Members
3 hours ago, garthman said:

Well, it's because we old timers are largely polite and courteous. Our parents taught us that good manners and respect for other people were essential requirements for living in a civilized way. Alas many people of later generations live their life in their bedrooms with their face stuck to a phone extolling their self interests.

Oh, itā€™s not that. Ā IMO itā€™s just weird fawning over a first time poster. Ā Thereā€™sĀ nothing rude regarding just answering his questions, maybe ask him something pertinent, and see if he comes back. Ā Again, just an opinion. Ā 
Ā 

As to your last bit, I donā€™t know anyone like you describe, I generally find the later generations quite engaging when treated as equals, and Iā€™m in my 60s. Ā I find people of my generation more and more unwilling to admit they may be the issue though.

Ā 

• Members
1 hour ago, Gibson29 said:

Oh, itā€™s not that. Ā IMO itā€™s just weird fawning over a first time poster. Ā Thereā€™sĀ nothing rude regarding just answering his questions, maybe ask him something pertinent, and see if he comes back. Ā Again, just an opinion. Ā 
Ā 

As to your last bit, I donā€™t know anyone like you describe, I generally find the later generations quite engaging when treated as equals, and Iā€™m in my 60s. Ā I find people of my generation more and more unwilling to admit they may be the issue though.

Ā 

Oh come on! "Fawning over a first time poster" ? We just say hello and welcome, FFS. That's polite and courteous. And for the rest, you obviously lead a very sheltered life.

• Members
9 minutes ago, garthman said:

Oh come on! "Fawning over a first time poster" ? We just say hello and welcome, FFS. That's polite and courteous. And for the rest, you obviously lead a very sheltered life.

Well,ok, just putting in my .02, no need to get testyĀ šŸ˜. Ā And before I forget my manners, let me apologize for contributing to your testiness!

• Members

See? Ā Youā€™re pissed (or youā€™re notĀ šŸ˜Š)Ā no one has any opinion on my opinion, the community has collapsed in on itā€™s own ego. Ā Oh, thatā€™s right, with my clever wit on the last post, I ā€œwonā€ the topic? Ā (that was a patently bullsh*t remark, btw..) There is no conversation amongst friends here, just remarks within cliques, and those cliques areĀ really getting smaller..

Seriously, what are you, us, at the AG forum wanting to have happen?

(I was wondering what sort of conversation would happen 24 hours after posting. Ā Guess I found out, best of luck.)

...slowly backing away making soothing noises until I can reach the door..crap! It hit me in the ass!šŸ˜„

• Members
1 hour ago, Gibson29 said:

See? Ā Youā€™re pissed (or youā€™re notĀ šŸ˜Š)Ā no one has any opinion on my opinion, the community has collapsed in on itā€™s own ego. Ā Oh, thatā€™s right, with my clever wit on the last post, I ā€œwonā€ the topic? Ā (that was a patently bullsh*t remark, btw..) There is no conversation amongst friends here, just remarks within cliques, and those cliques areĀ really getting smaller..

Seriously, what are you, us, at the AG forum wanting to have happen?

(I was wondering what sort of conversation would happen 24 hours after posting. Ā Guess I found out, best of luck.)

...slowly backing away making soothing noises until I can reach the door..crap! It hit me in the ass!šŸ˜„

Well, no. Just didn't think it was worthwhile continuing.

• Members
1 hour ago, Grant Harding said:

So you've proven that the forum isn't as active as it used to be. Insightful. šŸ˜‰

See? Ā Ok, you won, Iā€™m chastised. Ā Iā€™ll slink away and not invade your party of...what, 3? Ā 

55 minutes ago, garthman said:

Well, no. Just didn't think it was worthwhile continuing.

Well hey, good having this conversation, I enjoyed your insight!Ā šŸ™‚

• Members
On 10/20/2020 at 11:06 AM, FretFiend. said:

It's interesting to compare the reactions noobs receive here at HCAG as opposed to over at the Political Potty.

Ā 

Ā 

On 10/20/2020 at 3:41 PM, Gibson29 said:

Donā€™t keep us waiting!Ā šŸ˜„ compare!

I have to wonder, did you want to respond? Ā Do you have a real interest in conversation? Ā Or is this the regular hitā€™n run comment that killed the forum in the first place. Ā 

• Members
Just now, FretFiend. said:

Funny you should say that.Ā  Hit'n run comments seem to be the norm in the Political Potty. šŸ™‚ Real interest in conversation? Certainly... if it's interesting.

Huh. Ā Asked you to compare, yet you just remain mysterious about it. Ā Ok. Ā 
Over at PP, there are actual conversations with people that disagree, I hang out there, Ā mainly becauseĀ of that. Ā Donā€™t see folks posting stuff like you just did. Ā You seem, as doĀ most of the forumites here, unwilling to talk, just want to get in the best ā€œdigā€. Ā 
Ā 

Well, ya got me! Ā You win.

• Members

Ā 

Yep, a movin' & shakin' place this is. But, let's not think that I'm instigating in a vacuum.

Anyway, of all the responses to current threads in this forum this one is getting the most traffic. That's a telling clue about what engages people and what doesn't. On-topic isn't getting it and no one cares about what junior is reading.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Members
15 hours ago, Idunno said:

Ā 

Yep, a movin' & shakin' place this is. But, let's not think that I'm instigating in a vacuum.

Anyway, of all the responses to current threads in this forum this one is getting the most traffic. That's a telling clue about what engages people and what doesn't. On-topic isn't getting it and no one cares about what junior is reading.

Ā 

Ā 

Yes, I agee, Joe,Ā  a degree of controversy certainly does enliven the place. But what is really needed is more active members.

• Members
On 10/20/2020 at 2:09 PM, Gibson29 said:

See? Ā Ok, you won, Iā€™m chastised. Ā Iā€™ll slink away and not invade your party of...what, 3? Ā 

Well hey, good having this conversation, I enjoyed your insight!Ā šŸ™‚

I can't figure out what sort of incredible conversation were you hoping for with your amazing insight.Ā Add some interesting acoustic guitar content maybe?

Without that it's just someone wandering into an old bar insulting the old dudes that are still keeping the place in business. IĀ always try to be nice to people that show genuine interest in the topics at hand.

• Members
1 hour ago, Grant Harding said:

I can't figure out what sort of incredible conversation were you hoping for with your amazing insight.Ā Add some interesting acoustic guitar content maybe?

Without that it's just someone wandering into an old bar insulting the old dudes that are still keeping the place in business. IĀ always try to be nice to people that show genuine interest in the topics at hand.

Again, I bow to your superior ability to put this youngā€™un in his place. Ā Though it did take you 6 days to come up with that.

But seriously, the place just isnā€™t ā€œfriendlyā€. Ā  At the start, I was, and am, just honestly giving an opinion in a thread that is asking for one. Ā It apparently raised enough hackles, as it wasnā€™t well received..šŸ™‚Ā  It was and is simply my opinion.
Ā 

I hope nothing but peace for anyone reading, and please know that I meanĀ noĀ insult in my comments. Ā 

5 hours ago, garthman said:

Yes, I agee, Joe,Ā  a degree of controversy certainly does enliven the place. But what is really needed is more active members.

I agree as well, and wish all of you the best in attracting and keeping them. Ā I see a few new posters on the first page.

• Members

Okay. I'm back.

You see, the point of this thread was not to stick with the topic but rather retro it to the same kind of thread that was, at one time, the hallmark of this entire site and the cheddar for the mice that were drawn to it in droves; no differently than you guys are responding now. You have taken the bait and are now exercising the same (elicited) emotions that bolstered both the useless and the useful activity that characterized it. In other words, the sheer weight of the membership provided the on-topic questions and answersĀ  that legitimized the site, as well as confounded it for the more sensitive, but the emotions were high and contagious. It fostered all manner of on and off topic activity that acted like a self-perpetuating machine. It was high on itself.

Then, the goody two shoes police arrived and the place simply vanished through negligent software experimentation and debilitating badge polishing at the moderation level.

Sure, I can go on and on about the acoustic guitar, what makes it tick (thank you Freeman and others) and what makes it work for me (45 years of playing) but there's no real demand for that here anymore because the place is lost in space. At it's worst it was head and shoulders more informative than any of the period forum sites. It was a heavy-weight kingpin of a place and all the ridicule that it might have garnered still didn't warrant sanitizing it for junior.

Anyway, the heart of this place - the normal human behavioral condition - was barred from exercising further freedom and that was this place's cause for demise.

Finally, the acoustic guitar itself as a topic for detailed and continued discussion is now past its prime. The people who were attracted to it in the early Y2K period got their knowledge and slowly, over the decade following, moved on and/or were decidedly unimpressed with forum changes. I know this place's membership suffered badly through the irresponsible jacking around with software. It wasn't broke but they decided that "advances" in technology could fix it. There's dumb and then there's that. Implementing an experimental software? Yea, brilliant. But, it happened and it happened more than once. That's about when this place became a joke.

So, keep responding here and you'll only prove the foregoing truth about forums. They are the elicitor of the human emotions first and objective information exchanges second.

• Members
18 hours ago, Idunno said:

So, keep responding here and you'll only prove the foregoing truth about forums. They are the elicitor of the human emotions first and objective information exchanges second.

Iā€™ll play!Ā Ā  Do you really think it was ā€œmoderationā€ that killed this section? Ā Or the software iterations that drove folks away?

Nah. Ā Judging from reading the last few months, looks like apathy. Ā Mods really only stop the personal attacks, and thatā€™s a good thing, if someone left because they couldnā€™t figure out how to call someone an *sshole in a roundabout way, or really, reallyĀ wanted to use base vulgarities...no, thatā€™s not why people leave. Ā Cā€™mon! Ā Some have managed to direct that my wayĀ withoutĀ resorting to that ā€œlower levelā€ in this thread aloneĀ šŸ˜†! Ā  Some nicely subtle ways to drawĀ dicks on foreheads while keeping your halo..
Ā 

Has anyone been castigated by mods for OT threads? Ā Havenā€™t seen it, but donā€™t feel like going back and looking thru the years. Ā They donā€™t bitch about it at PP, just label it ā€œOTā€. Ā Or tryĀ Open Jam. Ā 
Ā 

Software? Ā Not aware of the issue, but why would someone have serious issues because the layout is different, I donā€™t think thereā€™s an address on the web that hasnā€™t changed. Ā Conversation is conversation. Ā 
Ā 

New guys, usually guys, stop by here because of searches, I think. Ā Usually Carlos guitars..;) , but tend not to stick around. Ā Maybe itā€™s not the forum, but the population? Ā You gotta wonder..

As to the part quoted above, yes, but you have it backwards. Ā Objective/subjectiveĀ info, then camaraderie. Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Members
16 hours ago, Gibson29 said:

Iā€™ll play!Ā Ā  Do you really think it was ā€œmoderationā€ that killed this section? Ā Or the software iterations that drove folks away?

Has anyone been castigated by mods for OT threads? Ā Havenā€™t seen it, but donā€™t feel like going back and looking thru the years. Ā They donā€™t bitch about it at PP, just label it ā€œOTā€. Ā Or tryĀ Open Jam.Ā 

Ā 

I think that "moderation" and, perhaps more so, software changes certainly played a part.

And yes, several of us were once castigated, ie. banned, by an over-zealous moderator. However we fought back and won.

• Members

Is this the 5 minute argument, or the whole Ā½ hour?

1) I spend a lot less time online than IĀ used to. Serious health issues can put things in perspective, like that.

2) The incompetent format changing was a turn off for many people, including me. As was the 'find user reviews' game.

3) Thanks to the gurus here like Freeman, I have a good basic knowledge of acoustic guitars, and how to look for fundamental issues. This knowledge has served me well, over the years.

4) welcoming newbies is simply being welcoming. Doesn't need any explanation.

5) The PP is for people with too much time on their hands, and too much bile in their souls. I rarely posted there. I found it toxic and depressing.

6) BTW, I bought a Guild F-40 jumbo in August. I give it 10/10. I don't do NGDs anymore, though.

Ā 

Ā 

• Members
1 hour ago, Glenn F said:

BTW, I bought a Guild F-40 jumbo in August. I give it 10/10. I don't do NGDs anymore, though

Happy late NGDšŸ˜

#5 is probably a bit outdated though. Ā Iā€™ve heard in some threads what it use to be like, and it didnā€™t sound like an inviting place. Ā Seems to have changed though, the bile producers seem to be gone, and it appears (thru this newbieā€™s eyes)Ā even those that disagree manage to do so civilly.

One of the mods let on that this forum (AG)hasnā€™t been moderated for 10 years, has it been dead THAT long?

(way too much time on my hands..thanks COVID.:angry19:)

Archived