What happened to the HC User Reviews?

Cheerio101N

• Members

Wondering where the voluminous reference library of “user reviews“ has gone to? Went to look up something the other day, and found the entire directory had been disappeared! Anyone know where it might have gone to? If there’s another ‘data migration‘ in progress? This was my ‘consumer report‘ for vintage and used gear... Really nothing else quite like it on the web...

👀  
                   🕵️♂️

• Members

User reviews are why I first came to HC years ago. The "reboot" years back somehow eliminated many older reviews. Bad move. Stupid move.

Now gone altogether. What numbskull decided that was a good idea?

You can't fix stupid.

• Members

Gone, Gone!?
Do we have confirmation of this?

Ditto Emory - the “User reviews” are what got me here as well - and we might suspect - many others... 
Recall the previous ‘data migration’ mentioned, where the “reviews” were MIA for about four or five months... Then - voila! They mostly came back - albeit without the instrument ‘specs sections’, but still encyclopedic and very usable!

🤔

• Members

The last article written was in May. This place is dead. I am at  HC Open Jam, and the last post was 20 hours ago.

The Political Potty is still a bit busy, but the rest of it dead.

You think with many folks trying to social distance a lot this year, things would be different.

I wouldn't doubt it HC went belly up or sold it.

• Members

What ever happened to HC User reviews?
The milk man, the paper boy, and the 12 bar blues
When did I get to living here?
Somebody tell me please
This whole worlds confusing me.

Clouds as mean as you ever seen.
And a bird who knows your tune.
And that little voice inside you whispering.
Kid don't sell your dreams so soon.

The User reviews are in a time out, like Aunt Becky.

• Members
5 hours ago, Mikeo said:

What ever happened to HC User reviews?
The milk man, the paper boy, and the 12 bar blues
When did I get to living here?
Somebody tell me please
This whole worlds confusing me.

Clouds as mean as you ever seen.
And a bird who knows your tune.
And that little voice inside you whispering.
Kid don't sell your dreams so soon.

The User reviews are in a time out, like Aunt Becky.

Did you pen that? Forgot the three chords.

• Members

I used to read the reviews, but to be honest most of them were from people that were in love with the thing they bought and had very little experience. So the "Far better than a Martin D-28" type of comments for budget laminate guitars were born.

Agree that the owners probably don't want people running off to Reverb to buy an old guitar based on mystique rather than the better modern ones they sell. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Many reviews were from the honeymoon stages of ownership. Lots of glowing reviews on gear that was not so glowing.

Likewise there were also reviews running down gear that was unpopular.

It was always better to ask in the forums and get real reviews from folks who could verify that they even owned or had played the equipment being researched.

As others have stated, I am pretty sure that the review section is what got me to the site to begin with so for that I am thankful. 

• Members
On 9/24/2020 at 2:27 PM, Kevman said:

Many reviews were from the honeymoon stages of ownership. Lots of glowing reviews on gear that was not so glowing.

Likewise there were also reviews running down gear that was unpopular.

It was always better to ask in the forums and get real reviews from folks who could verify that they even owned or had played the equipment being researched.

As others have stated, I am pretty sure that the review section is what got me to the site to begin with so for that I am thankful. 

You had to read between the lines.  The real gold was any negativity in the reviews. Guitars that neck dive, bad stock PU’s, etc. if you read anything negative, it was usually true.

Archived