Tentative gig coming up

Bob Dey

• Members

Hey y'all,

I live in southern Michigan and MI is finally beginning to open up restaurants today. Indiana did this a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, the restaurant gig my duo was doing in Indiana (2018-2019) is planning to have us perform June 20. It's quite a drive getting there but it's the first gig to come up and I'm looking forward to playing again. I'm also glad that they've survived the shut down because many venues haven't.

• Members

yes, florida opened up three weeks ago and surprise of all surprises...  we are having the most amazing spike of covid-19 infections ever!!!   just because you can be a beta tester doesnt necessarily mean you should...  good luck, but remember the stakes on this wager...  

• Members

We are in what is being called Phase 2 here in Mass.

For me I won't be going to far.

My drivers license expired in March. Big grace period for that, I heard.

Still wearing a mask in stores. I'm getting used to that. I almost feel naked without one.

I'll wait for phase 3, plus a few weeks or maybe a few months.

I go out every day and run my doggie. He 1/2 yellow lab and 1/2 great dane, so I have been told. We hit a soccer field every day for some crazy time. There's usually nobody there. Sometimes we go other places.

Here he is, an 18 month old rescue we got from the Berkshire Humane Society in Feb of 2019. He's originally from Jackson MS.

He's becoming a very loving dog, and people and pet friendly. Except for the mailman. He hates the mailman, and for no reason.

He's a people guy and will follow you around all day, which can be very annoying.

Our cats are way easier to deal with. I have always owned cats and love cats. 

759234179_20200326_1638461.thumb.jpg.535f5d9c8c8fb517a760d4baa2206256.jpg

No concerts or festivals, which really sucks.

• Members
2 hours ago, Voltan said:

yes, florida opened up three weeks ago and surprise of all surprises...  we are having the most amazing spike of covid-19 infections ever!!!   just because you can be a beta tester doesnt necessarily mean you should...  good luck, but remember the stakes on this wager...  

I'm with you on that Voltan

We haven't had any offers, but for South Florida, it is the slow season anyway. We had work this summer and it was all cancelled, and I don't see them calling us back (thankfully).

Even at 50% capacity, they can't afford us and in reality, they are lucky to get 10% (judging from what I read in the papers).

I'm still sheltering at home. Leilani and I are making new user style e-disks and fake e-disks for Band-in-a-Box. Of course they take many months and countless hours to create, but at least it is productive for future funds.

Notes

• Members
3 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Good for you!!!

It was fun and I tried out a lot of the backing tracks I'd been creating. The system worked great, it's the same basic system I've already used for years but in a different kind of setup. I was real happy with the performance but, of course, see where I need to tweak some things.

Back before all this started I was at a point where I was trying to figure out the best way to boost our PA output (especially needed for outdoor gigs). Now that's back on the front burner and I may have a plan to do it with the equipment I already have.

• Members

I've only had one gig offer since the lock-down. It was for a backyard BBQ, and I turned it down. Our chief medical officer Dr. Bonnie Henry, has done a great job of locking things down and keeping the rates of Covid very low here, but I still feel a bit Corona shy.

I was feeling pretty sick for awhile and actually went to get the test. Felt like a hot poker up the nose (the test have improved since). The test was negative, but it was a sobering experience. I'm happy to ride things out, and work on my massive TO DO list. I try to practice guitar for a couple hours a day, just in case a gig comes up that I'll feel comfortable doing, but like I said, I'm in no rush.

Have fun on your gig, and like Dr. Henry always says; be kind, be calm and be safe.

• Members
2 hours ago, Bob Dey said:

This part of Indiana that we play at has a very low population. It's way out in the sticks (on a small lake) so I'm not too worried about covid. Thanks for the replies everyone.

If covid is a concern for you I wouldn't rely on the small population aspect, we live in a very international world and no doubt the people there come from larger population centers. For example the immediate area where I live is probably around 200k, not tiny but not huge and there is a national/regional airport here where 100's if not 1000's of people fly (or were flying) in and out everyday. My wife and I flew out to Charleston, SC (via Atlanta) for a few days at New Years where we both caught seemingly unusual cold/flu that we now believe may have been covid. I've talked to a number of other people who also feel they may have had it as far back as January also. It seems reasonable given that it's apparently highly contagious and was free to traverse the world in short order.

Neither of us has had anything resembling a cold/flu since that time and we'd also traveled to Cancun Mexico in late February. She works for the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics as a psychiatrist specializing in geriatric patients and volunteered for testing yesterday so as to help add to the data pool. It will take a couple more days for the results but this test will only determine if she currently has it. 

• Members

I too am happy to ride it out for a while.

Florida started re-opening 3 weeks ago, and this week we are having day after day of record confirmed cases. Seems to me they were a bit premature in their efforts.

I have read a lot about this, much from scientific sources and others from more reliable, middle of the road news services (anything from and including MSNBC to the far left or from FOX to the far right I don't believe as I know they don't even have a 50% truth rating). I read Scientific American, a newsletter from the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine, Life Extension, and a few others. Although science is still learning about this, and assumptions change as we learn more, one thing discovered is that many survivors, even those with little or no symptoms end up with permanent damage of the brain, lungs, heart, kidneys and other organs. I'm not ready to jump into the masses and try my luck.

I make my living largely with my lungs (sax, flute, wind synthesizer and vocals) so I don't want to risk it.

Our next gig scheduled is tentatively at the end of October. After 7 months of not gigging, it'll feel very good to play in front of an audience again. We're rehearsing one hour per day to keep our chops up. The neighbors say they like it.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

So the good news is that my wife's covid test came back negative and, given that, it's safe to assume I don't have it either. Perhaps those that were afraid I was running around killing people on a mass scale can rest a little easier now since if there was ever anyone who bent over backwards to do it all absolutely wrong, it was me!

• Members

Well folks, the gig got canceled. The county and nearby counties (Lagrange and Elkhart) are getting big increases in covid cases. And state rules dictate that we would have to wear masks while performing. Since singing and looking pretty are the main part of our act 🤓, we got canceled. Back in 1973 I started saying "don't count your chickens before they hatch in the music business"!

• Members

i've seen many duos and singles that went back to playing are now posting their dates are cancelled again. this will be happening for "at least" the next 5-6 months.

Florida had the highest number of cases in one day. 3822 cases. it is definitely not going away. the Gov said the cases are because of testing. OF COURSE. if they didnt test, there would still be 3800+ cases, but we wouldnt know it.

sorry to hear Bob

• Members
On 6/19/2020 at 7:26 PM, leftyjay said:

i've seen many duos and singles that went back to playing are now posting their dates are cancelled again. this will be happening for "at least" the next 5-6 months.

Florida had the highest number of cases in one day. 3822 cases. it is definitely not going away. the Gov said the cases are because of testing. OF COURSE. if they didnt test, there would still be 3800+ cases, but we wouldnt know it.

sorry to hear Bob

But the testing has only increased by about 2% while the cases are skyrocketing.

After confronted with that evidence the governor changed his tune, this time blaming it on Mexican watermelon pickers (sounding more and more like Trump every day).

I'm beginning to be concerned about my tentative October weekly gig. At least it's at an outdoor restaurant.

2020, the year the universe changed.

Notes

• Members
On 6/19/2020 at 4:47 PM, Bob Dey said:

Well folks, the gig got canceled.

Sorry to learn about that, I imagine you were looking forward to it.

We spent the weekend with friends at their house on the Lake of the Ozarks for some fun and relaxation. On the way home yesterday my wife picked up a new gig for this Friday at a place in town where we frequent and have played before. They have a nice outdoor setup going now and that's where we'll be but, of course, it depends on the weather. I was hoping to get more work done on our backing tracks before our next gig which had been scheduled for late July but this will give me a chance to try out a couple small changes I made to our setup. 

• Members

Losing that gig isn't that big a deal. It's just one gig right? Now we have a private party gig lined up for August 8. And who knows if this will happen or not? At least I'm starting to get a little unemployment $.

Archived