What happened to the forum?

Neal

• Members

Yeah, so..bookmarks lead elsewhere, it’s kinda like you came home from school and found your parents moved and took your dog too.  Well, not like that at all, but you get the....oh! (Head slap), hah, you MEANT to clear out the forum...good on you!

No, we're hoping to improve it, and make sure it gets regular updates for security, browser compatibility, etc. etc. Yes, some links and bookmarks won't work now, but for the most part, everything is pretty much as it was before - except now you have even more emoticons than before, you have a working "ignore" function, you have multi-quote back, you have a much faster and more responsive user interface, true drag and drop for inserting images and videos, more options when "liking" posts, and as soon as the site is finished indexing and caching (which may take a few more days), you'll have a working search function again. 

All in all, this is going to be a considerable improvement over the site we were all using last week. 

However, we don't expect a transition to new site software to be completely glitch-free, so if you do run across any issues, we'd appreciate it if you'd let us know so we can try to fix it. Also, we're here if you have any questions about how to use the new software... :wave:

You need to be logged in to see the off topic forums. Also, to find the main forum list, click on Browse in the menu bar at the top of the page, then click on Forums. That will take you to the master list of all the HC forums. 

We are owned by Gibson, but we are editorially neutral. We welcome honest POV’s about all gear / companies here. 

As far as daddymack, he is having issues logging in (per an email he sent me this afternoon) but we’ll get him fixed up tomorrow, if Chris hasn’t done it already. 

3 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

😎🎶🎵🤓👍🎧🦝🦍🐶🐮🐷🐵🐺

Wow! Phone emoticons seem to work now. 🍇🍈🍉🍊🍑🍌🍍🥭🍎🍏🍐🍑🥔🍓🥝🍅🥥🥑🍆🥔🥕🥜🍄🥦🥬🥒🌶🌽

I’ve heard about a few challenges on the Android side from one member, but they seem to have been taken care of. On the iOS side, the mobile experience is significantly improved overall IMO.

2 hours ago, garthman said:

Emoticons!! All this for "more emoticons" Jeez.

Emoticons were but a small part of it. Regular updates for new browser version compatibility and security, a better mobile experience, the return of multi-quote, functional “ignore” and search tools, lower site hosting and maintenance costs vs. our previous, highly customized (IOW, not off the shelf) system, and other similar benefits were much higher priorities. 

• Members
On 8/22/2019 at 5:25 PM, Phil O'Keefe said:

Emoticons were but a small part of it. Regular updates for new browser version compatibility and security, a better mobile experience, the return of multi-quote, functional “ignore” and search tools, lower site hosting and maintenance costs vs. our previous, highly customized (IOW, not off the shelf) system, and other similar benefits were much higher priorities. 

Yeah. I know, Phil. Just couldn't resist the dig {smile thingie} {wink thingie}

25 minutes ago, FretFiend. said:

I wonder just how many members will not be back because their bookmark link no longer works.  Yes, there are people like that out there.

Most bookmarks / redirects should work, although as Chris said in another thread, there were some redirects that we apparently missed. 

The site's front page is completely unchanged in terms of URL, and sign up / password reset is much easier now than it was previously. We certainly don't want to make it hard for anyone - in fact, we've tried to make the transition to the new site as easy as possible, and we provided an email link in the latest edition of our HC e-zine (which went out on Monday to over 135,000 subscribers) for people to contact us directly in case they are having any trouble getting back into the site. 

However, I was just checking that email account, and no one has used it to contact us with login issues recently. 

And still no quick link from the topic list to the last page of a thread. <Facepalm>

If it's a multi-page thread, you'll see a list of page numbers right there on the link - each page number is a direct link to that individual page. Just click on the last number, and you'll be taken directly to the last page of that thread. 

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 1.29.29 PM.png

I'm not sure if there's a link that will take you to the last read post or not - I just left Chris Loeffler a voice mail asking about that... I'll let you know when I hear back from him. 

8 minutes ago, Grant Harding said:

Notice that some people have a "Community Reputation" score of 8 figures. Mine is 586. 😄

Mine was over two billion yesterday, and is significantly smaller now. I suspect that as the indexing and caching continue and conclude, that will work itself out. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

Most bookmarks / redirects should work, although as Chris said in another thread, there were some redirects that we apparently missed. 

The site's front page is completely unchanged in terms of URL, and sign up / password reset is much easier now than it was previously. We certainly don't want to make it hard for anyone - in fact, we've tried to make the transition to the new site as easy as possible, and we provided an email link in the latest edition of our HC e-zine (which went out on Monday to over 135,000 subscribers) for people to contact us directly in case they are having any trouble getting back into the site. 

However, I was just checking that email account, and no one has used it to contact us with login issues recently. 

If it's a multi-page thread, you'll see a list of page numbers right there on the link - each page number is a direct link to that individual page. Just click on the last number, and you'll be taken directly to the last page of that thread. 

I'm not sure if there's a link that will take you to the last read post or not - I just left Chris Loeffler a voice mail asking about that... I'll let you know when I hear back from him. 

There is - the blue ball (or star) to the left of the thread title takes you to the first unread post.

• Members
5 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

...If it's a multi-page thread, you'll see a list of page numbers right there on the link - each page number is a direct link to that individual page. Just click on the last number, and you'll be taken directly to the last page of that thread. 

It appears that I overlooked this. It has been one of my pet peeves. Kudos to you and the team for fixing these things!

• Members
5 hours ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

However, I was just checking that email account, and no one has used it to contact us with login issues recently. ...

The changes broke every link and bookmark in all of my computers. They all led to the dreaded, "file not found," type page.  Fortunately, it was a simple matter to update them.

Archived