Mic boom counterweight

DeepEnd

Here's another you'll love. My overhead mics are mounted to a small piece of wood. Even though its fairly light, the quality of the mic stand is not very good. (You typically use your non critical, beat up mic stands for drums)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"thumbnail_IMG_0425.jpg","data-attachmentid":32417488}[/ATTACH]

Between the weight of two mics, the holders and the cables the weight caused the stand to bow down and keel over.

I finally found the best fix was even better then duct tape. You can add a Bungee cord to those must have studio tools. It worked better then a counter weight in fact.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"thumbnail_IMG_0429.jpg","data-attachmentid":32417489}[/ATTACH]

That IS an interesting idea!

Now about your cable management... ;)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neat cables are the sign of a sick mind.

Guilty as charged...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"fetch?id=31139349&d=1398720428.jpg","data-attachmentid":32419364}[/ATTACH]

Yer SPOSETA trip over 'em :rolleyes:

It's one thing if *I* trip over them, but if a client does, it's a potential injury and liability... but more importantly, they'd mess up my carefully positioned drum mikes! :mad2:;)

• Members

Guilty as charged...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"fetch?id=31139349&d=1398720428.jpg","data-attachmentid":32419364}[/ATTACH]

It's one thing if *I* trip over them, but if a client does, it's a potential injury and liability... but more importantly, they'd mess up my carefully positioned drum mikes! :mad2:;)

Drums are for marching bands :rolleyes:

Drums are for marching bands :rolleyes:

There's a similar line in the Buddy Holly Story where a Nashville producer (Owen Bradley) tells him that drums are for parades or something along those lines... of course that didn't go over very well with the band, and is one of the reasons Buddy headed to Clovis to work with Norman Petty.

• Members

There's a similar line in the Buddy Holly Story where a Nashville producer (Owen Bradley) tells him that drums are for parades or something along those lines... of course that didn't go over very well with the band, and is one of the reasons Buddy headed to Clovis to work with Norman Petty.

Ask any purist bluegrasser or folkie ;)

• Moderators
Guilty as charged...

I can't believe you let your cables cross each other. Don't you know that that will generate unmusical harmonics? ;)

• Members

That IS an interesting idea!

Now about your cable management... ;)

I don't run many cables along the floor. They look bad and get tripped over which is a major cause of them failing. Instead I used hooks suspended from the ceiling where I can bundle all the cables overhead. In the case of the drums I use an 8 channel snake and it terminates over the drum set and then I just use short 6' drops from the ceiling.

I usually have them clipped together in a bundle but I had them apart recently when I took some of the mics cables to a gig.

Having a mic cable hang from the ceiling is a real blessing when swapping out mics too.

If you don't have a semi permanent setup or you're worried about having cables hung I can see where leaving them on the floor is your only option.

I do that with my guitar setup of course. I run the wires then use clips to gang them together then stiff throw rugs in areas where thay might be tripped over.

NEVER use duct tape on cables. The sticky stuff gets on the cables, collects dirt and gets real nasty.

If its fairly permanent, go to the dollar store and buy wire ties. you can get the smaller ones in a bag of 100 for a dollar, and the large ones 20 for a dollar. You have to use nippers to remove them.

For temporary management, I use these all the time. I get them for free at work when I have office gear coming back from customers and you can clip a half dozen cables together with the big ones. The tongs can be hung on a screw in the wall of ceiling. I can even clip a cable to a desktop edge easily and remove it any time its necessary. Use a couple on a boom stand too. Keeps the cables neat and tight and I can run my Voice box tube along side when I use it.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"AClip.JPG","data-attachmentid":32421104}[/ATTACH]

NEVER use duct tape on cables. The sticky stuff gets on the cables, collects dirt and gets real nasty.

Yup - I learned that lesson the hard way decades ago.

If its fairly permanent, go to the dollar store and buy wire ties. you can get the smaller ones in a bag of 100 for a dollar, and the large ones 20 for a dollar. You have to use nippers to remove them.

There are actually some nylon ties that have a tab that allows you to remove them without having to cut them, although you're correct that the vast majority have to be cut off once applied.

For temporary management, I use these all the time. I get them for free at work when I have office gear coming back from customers and you can clip a half dozen cables together with the big ones. The tongs can be hung on a screw in the wall of ceiling. I can even clip a cable to a desktop edge easily and remove it any time its necessary. Use a couple on a boom stand too. Keeps the cables neat and tight and I can run my Voice box tube along side when I use it.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tAClip.JPG Views:\t1 Size:\t47.8 KB ID:\t32421104","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32421104","data-size":"full","title":"AClip.JPG"}[/ATTACH]

I use those occasionally too - they can definitely come in handy.

Ball-end elastic hair ties are also something I use fairly often - they're much faster and easier to use on coiled cables than velcro straps.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\til_570xN.1612686094_6wra.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t45.3 KB ID:\t32421128","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32421128","data-size":"full","title":"il_570xN.1612686094_6wra.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

• Moderators

Guilty as charged...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tfetch?id=31139349&d=1398720428.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t325.0 KB ID:\t32419364","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32419364","data-size":"full","title":"fetch?id=31139349&d=1398720428.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

Phil...you need to build a riser for that drum kit and put a bank of XLR jacks around the perimeter. I did this in my old home studio, and I also had mic cables routed across the ceiling through a series of eye bolts and hooks, and then I could just drop the connectors over the mic locations ...

we've also done overhead drops in the 'new' Alta Dena studio's drum room, but I have not built the perimeter strip yet...that's on next year's schedule. I will also be making 'custom' length XLR cables for the house drum kit mics...

Phil...you need to build a riser for that drum kit and put a bank of XLR jacks around the perimeter.

A studio I was CE at had installed a riser before I started there - I asked them to remove it, which they did once I showed them a frequency response plot of the drums recorded sitting on the riser vs. sitting on the concrete floor. Unless they're done just right, the dang things can be huge bass resonators. I'm not really a fan... YMMV.

• 8 months later...
  • Members
21 hours ago, Voltan said:

wait... you sing sitting down?   why?   

I record myself singing sitting down because I record with a computer, which means sitting at a computer keyboard, at least in my case. When I sing in front of an audience, I stand. Hope that clarifies things.

• Members

not really,  i was more addressing the concept of proper breathing and support being necessary to sound your best...   i just assumed if you are going to the trouble to record something, you might want to sound as good as possible?   sitting position jams up that diaphragm and intonation will suffer not to mention projection and tone...      sacrificing the very basics of proper technique for any reason is rarely a good beginning but if what you sound like doesnt matter to you, why should it matter to me?  i cant hear you from here...

• Members

by the way, i have a modern computer where it allows me to stand at a workstation...   and a program that will even allow me to trim my footsteps as i approach the mic if i choose to “reach all the way down to the desk from standing fully erect” in order to reach that “difficult to find whilst standing” button on my juuuuuuuust sliiiiightly out of reeeeach keyboard.... 👇

• Members
18 hours ago, DeepEnd said:

I record myself singing sitting down because I record with a computer, which means sitting at a computer keyboard, at least in my case. When I sing in front of an audience, I stand. Hope that clarifies things.

i should have expected a condescending tone from such a neophyte...    no sir, you sit to sing because you are either uneducated or lazy... possibly both?  if youre still sitting to record, we both know the answer to that now...  thanks for confirming...  lol. 

• Members
5 hours ago, Voltan said:

i should have expected a condescending tone from such a neophyte...    no sir, you sit to sing because you are either uneducated or lazy... possibly both?  if youre still sitting to record, we both know the answer to that now...  thanks for confirming...  lol. 

And here I thought--just for a second--that you might have bumped a thread that was eight months old because you had a legitimate question and I gave you the benefit of the doubt. I should have known better. Just more trolling. Shame on me.
I rarely record and when I do it's usually for the Virtual Open Mike over in Acoustic Guitars so I'm not that picky in terms of quality.
I'm not a great singer or a great musician or a great songwriter and I'm using an $80 microphone that I bought used. Proper breathing is the least of my worries and I'm not alone in recording while sitting.
And BTW, from where I sit you're the one who sounds "condescending."
Phil told me to put you on "ignore" for a reason. Thanks for reminding me.

Archived