The continuing Barncaster saga

Freeman Keller

• Members

Nice spotting! That's an error from Warmoth and I never noticed. It's supposed to have cream dot face markers and side dots but they only did the side dots.

I do agree it looks cool, but I don't know how it will affect my playing. Wonder if I should contact them and see what they'll do to make it right.

• Members

Yes Grant, I would contact them ASAP! I like the look without, but it's what you paid for, so hopefully, then can make it right before it gets built. AS for noticing it while playing.... play one that you have, and pay attention if you really look at the fretboard, or the side of the neck. I tend to look at the side of the neck while playing, but I am used to guitar with either a LOT of inlay, like my Manoman Paul clone with the tree of life inlay, or my Ibanez Sabre, with black inlays that I can't see anyway.

• Members

A few more progress pics. Shielded the cavities, wired the controls, hung some strings on it. It needs trees and other bits of hardware, plus a good nut (this was a commercial plastic one, I'll make a nice bone nut). The geometry is nearly perfect, action needs to settle in before I can work on it but it actually wasn't bad on the bench. Pups are very quiet - I need to boost the gain on my amps a lot more than I'm used to but it does play.

Grant, I think you have a winner

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_4026-2.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t176.2 KB ID:\t32148494","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32148494","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4028-2.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

• Members

I had to double check a couple of times to see if I had wired them wrong, but since they have the same output on any switch setting pretty much rules out my wiring. I just need a bigger amp, eh?

It does sound sweet thru both my little 12 watt tube amp and my 20 watt Champ practice amp. Action is high and obviously we need a tree

Neck is sweet, good choice

• Members

I have a lefty friend who visits every year or so, bringing his little Martin with no dots. I've gotten decent at flipping hand positions in my mind, but lack of dots does tax my little brain when he is up the neck without a paddle. The dots aren't for you, they are for the folks you play with.

• Members

I vote no pickguard. You could always include it uninstalled. Easy enough to add (maybe even use double stick tape for a comparison of looks). Once you drill the holes... can't undrill them... some of the most interesting grain gonna get covered up. Anybody agree with me?

• Members

No worries - between the Shiva and the Kemper it's going to move some air. ;)

Thanks about the neck - that was a torturous personal struggle. For a few days it was going to be birdseye maple, then maple w/ rosewood fb, then baked maple, then I saw the rosewood one and it just seemed right. Can't wait to feel it!

Archived