Fret ding repair

Chordite

• Members

My 335 clone has a fret ding. It is up on the 17th. That is strat territory that I don't spend much time in on a semi acoustic so rather than re fret it I am asking if people have had any joy using solder (sodder), cyanoacrylate or epoxy filling these minor dings? I have dressed off the high points but the string still snags occasionally in the "dip".

• Members

Solder, in my experiences, doesn't hold, and when it does, it wears thru super easy. It IS lead after all, one of the softest metals around. Silver solder might be better, but using it requires a hotter iron, and you don't want to heat a fret, imbedded in wood mind you, to add it. I think if you have a good steady hand, you might be able to use that metal epoxy, Liquid metal, I think it is called. (2 parts, mix like epoxy, has metal shavings blah blah blah.) But the issue is, you will see the filled in fret quite easily.

It might be better to flatten the fret, recrown, then do the same to the last 5 frets.

• Members

If you don't have neck binding, I'd see about just having that one fret replaced. I used to visit the well known luthier Randy Parsons in Seattle, and I remember he had a deal for replacing the top 4 frets, but it's more costly if neck binding has to be taken off and replaced.

Maybe you could just smooth out the ding so it doesn't catch as much. My first good electric guitar that I basically learned my chording on is an 83 LP CSE Studio and its got dents in the first frets on the high end string side from using death grip strength (before my hands learned any finesse) and also zero vibrato. But those dings don't seem to affect its playability now, even when I am now using string vibrato. So I'm thinking maybe a bit of dremel tool polishing?

• Members

I have no experience with solder, epoxy or anything else. I just replace the fret. Bound neck is a little more trouble but not much. Early Gibsons with the mibs or Fenders with maple f/b's are much more trouble - in fact I personally refuse to do them. The going rate for replacing a fret is $15 per.

If you are thinking of trying solder (or "silver solder" which is a brazing compound) remember that heat is applied to frets to help get them to release from the board while refretting. Mmmmm...

And for GAS, normally with a bound neck you don't take the binding off - you cut the fret tang to fit down between it.

• Members

Unfortunately it has nice binding and it is (I checked) at the 19th where everything meets up (like at the golf club LoL)

So "metal epoxy" and the dremel until next year when I get a serious income boost and can pay people to do things.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31995441[/ATTACH]

This is the ding, (the fretboard is not as 'open grain' as it looks in the macro)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31995442[/ATTACH]

• Members

I base my cost estimates on a guy named Bryan Kimsey - he is primarily an acoustic tech but a fret is a fret. Obviously other repair people might have different rates. Shouldn't matter which fret it is - you have to be a little more careful filing the ends when your working at the body

http://www.bryankimsey.com/2015%20Price%20List.pdf

This is the only thing different about a bound board - you need to cut or file the tang so it just drops inside the binding. I put a tiny bit of super glue on the ends to hold them to the binding (knowing that a future repair person will put a soldering iron on the fret to break that glue loose). Once the fret is in place the end is filed back and radiused to match the others.

IMG_2934_zpshwdiwpmd.jpg

Looking at your pictures (and after taking a few careful measurements) I would be very tempted to try dressing that fret and its neighbors - its not uncommon to have a little fall-away on the upper few frets where the truss rod has no effect. Looks like they could all use a little polish anyway.

Too bad you don't live nearby - we'd just go out in the shop and get it done.

• Members

My Fernandes Strat had a similar fret ding when I bought it. It was a cheap guitar so I polished the fret with steel wool until the ding was relatively smooth. It wasn't perfect, mind you, but since I don't do bends, it turned out just fine.

• Members

Some 1000 and 1500 grit sandpaper and about 5 minutes, that edges of that ding will smooth over to the point you won't feel it when you bend that string. A buddy of mine JUST had an identical dent on his Les Paul Classic. Seriously, it's an easy fix. Forget the solder and epoxy. You'll just ruin that fretboard.

Archived