Another 335

Freeman Keller

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Kind of a bump.

​I've been working on this off and thought maybe I should bring things up to date.

Glued the top onto the rim (but didn't take any pictures, you've all see go-bar decks before). Laminated a neck (again, didn't take any pictures, you've seen that before too). Made a bunch of layout lines on the neck - its really important to make as many cuts as possible with flat surfaces to index too - the minute you make that side of the neck cut everything is at weird angles.

Anyway, here is the head end of the neck

IMG_3225_zps0esw70wo.jpg

and the heel end

IMG_3224_zps41cbnncs.jpg

Cut all the excess off

IMG_3226_zpscxxoxvmm.jpg

Screwed my little neck tenon jig onto the top of the guitar at somewhere around 4 degrees

IMG_3228_zpsexq7orjm.jpg

and rough fit the neck

IMG_3230_zpsgxn3liyt.jpg

I'm going to add a comment here - I've recently switched to Windows 10 (which might drive me to buying a Mac and the "edge" will certainly drive me to Chrome) and I've been having all sorts of new problems posting here at good old HC. I don't know if they are related but putting together this little post with its few pictures has been an exercise in pure frustration. I'll ask the mods for some help but quite frankly if this continues I will probably be the end of any of these threads

• Members

I had problems posting here as well .I've been using the camera icon as a temp. fix. I've also begun using Firefox

Haven't taken any pics for a while but I'll try a test.

Test was successful. I hope you get things sorted out soon.

• Members

I wanted to post this picture in the last group but I was having so much trouble that I gave up. Its kind of cool, however, and shows the neck made out of one piece of 1x3 mahogany. The head end is cut off at 16 degrees and flipped over to become the scarf joined headstock, the heel is a stack of two 1 inch thick pieces. Stuff gets cut away at the heel to make the tenon and finally the sides of the neck get cut so that its 1-11/16 wide at the nut and 2-1/4 at the body joint.

IMG_3227_zpsysxldwfk.jpg

(its sure nice to just copy a paste a picture, I'm back to being a happy little luthier)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've watched several of your build threads...The entire process is fascinating and I'm grateful you do this for all of us. It's generous of you to, and I sincerely hope you continue.

You saying you are a "Home Builder" is kind of like Thomas Dolby or Paul McCartney saying they've done a bit of "Home Recording". You for all I can see...Are an Artist Sir.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Finally getting back to this - there has been one poor little damaged guitar after another that have needed attention so this has been on the back burner. Lets see, when we left it the body is together minus the back and the neck has been rough fitted

IMG_3236_zpscdokx7sc.jpg

Time to start shaping the neck

IMG_3266_zpsdx4hxoo4.jpg

(sings, "before I'll let that cnc mill get me down I'll die with a chisel in my hand, lord lord, die with a chisel in my hand....)

Three parts of the shape of the neck itself - the depth (I measure at the nut and 12th fret)

IMG_3268_zpsb7fezqye.jpg

the width (ditto)

IMG_3269_zpsqe1uuey6.jpg

and the contour - these are templates that I made from a LP neck - gives me a reference for the shape of the back

IMG_3267_zpsgsgco7yo.jpg

This is a really ugly picture but I'm sanding the fretboard to the exact width from the nut to the 12th fret to the 22nd.

IMG_3270_zps71fjfvod.jpg

That thing in front of the neck is my 24 inch fretboard leveling bar with sandpaper glued to it.

I also sent a long e-mail to my customer asking a lot of detail questions - does he want the f/b bound, what kind of markers does he want, yadda yadda. Tomorrow I'll get back to work on the body

• Members

Once I could clamp the fretboard on the neck I can refine the shape

IMG_3271_zpsqxanw4il.jpg

And with the f/b temporarily in place I can refine the neck pocket and angle

IMG_3276_zpshw014zhi.jpg

This will get tweaked after the frets are in and the board is glued to the neck but at least I'm in the ball park with the angle and bridge height

IMG_3275_zps2ctcdjwk.jpg

A shot for the owner to prove that I haven't been totally neglecting him

IMG_3277_zps5nv2k2cs.jpg

Archived