Another 335

Freeman Keller

• Members

Koiwoi, they autopsied a bunch of 50 year old men (who died of various causes) - half of them had prostate cancer. They autopsied a bunch of 80 year old men, every one of them had it. Get screened periodically and yes, get a mandolin.

BP, they told me no heavy lifting for six weeks. The banjo is definitely a no-no.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, prostate cancer is a classic exclusion on life insurance policies until it reaches a stage defined as life threatening.

As FK said, most older men die with prostate cancer, but not because of it, it is very often symptomless and stays that way.

Oh, and that ES335 I'm pretty sure has properties that will be known to cure prostate cancer. That build is too good not to cure prostate cancer.

• Members

OK, time to stop complaining about plumbing and get back to building. It seems like if you were giving me a bunch of money to build something for you I ought to personalize it a little. When I built my daughter's parlor I put her spirit animal on the headstock

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

For Jesse it was the skulls (remember the skulls?)

IMG_1913_zps4cd15757.jpg

T_e_l_e plays in a band called Raining Sunshine

IMG_2772_zpsfrxxap5h.jpg

Since this guitar is going to a guy named Jac, and in the local music circle he has a bit of a nick name

IMG_3382_zpssulkt5d6.jpg

Ebony pickguard inlayed and bound. It need a dozen coats of lacquer - that's pretty easy.

IMG_3383_zpsydkmbivx.jpg

That was good therapy

• Members

Its been two weeks and I'm feeling good enough to go stand in the shop and sand guitars. I was pretty happy with the last couple of coats so I'm starting sanding at 1000 grit, and went up thru 1200 and 1500.

IMG_3390_zpszxwk9jkc.jpg

The wet and dry paper (wet) removes any scratches from sanding between coats and the tiny bit of orange peel (from my bad spraying technique). The goal is that it be uniformly dull with no orange peel or scratches

IMG_3391_zpsiqlic1ud.jpg

Then polishing with Meguiars number 2 and 3 compounds and a foam pad in the drill. I've got a pedestal buffer but I think I get better results with the drill and its not nearly as dangerous.

IMG_3392_zpso13bwpxu.jpg

IMG_3393_zpsap1kvxlw.jpg

Whew.

• Members

I've been dreading/worrying about/looking forward to this next step for a long time now. As you probably know, the ES335 and its brothers don't have access to the insides for things like wiring and electronics. The traditional way to do this is to build some sort of jig to holds the pots and stuff in their relative position (a piece of cardboard with holes in it works pretty well), then you try to fish the whole thing in thru the f-holes, get all the pots to line up with their holes, somehow hold them while you screw the nuts on. I hear stories of chop sticks and strings and all kinds of gyrations.

The last time I did this I put the electronics in while the back was off, then tried to finish around the shafts. It worked, but it was pretty ugly and I thought there must be a better way. This time I also mounted and wired everything with the back off

IMG_3327_zpsgvdbk06k.jpg

leaving a little slop in the wires. Then I tied a piece of string (actually dental floss) to the shaft of each component and put masking tape inside the f-holes and holes for the shafts. I threaded the dental floss thru the masking tape and tied a knot in the outside.

IMG_3332_zpsesyvd2qo.jpg

Closed up the box, did the finishing, every time I would turn it over I heard the pots banging around inside. Finally after all the painting and buffing was done I removed the masking tape (a dental probe worked pretty well) while I held on to the floss. Carefully pulled each component into place, put the nut on it and Bingo!

IMG_3394_zpsg6zjzsru.jpg

Last thing was to hook up the pups (remember that I put terminal blocks in the bridge pickup cavity 'cause I can't easily get into the wiring chamber) and tested everything

IMG_3395_zpsc2rtfkwm.jpg

Tone and volume works, the switch goes the right direction, life is good.

Whew.

• Members

I've often wondered why more ES3XX guitars aren't made like the Tom DeLonge sig model:

fetch?filedataid=120070

Seems like it would make repairs, upgrades, etc. much simpler. Heritage makes--or, anyway, used to make--one or two semi-hollows with access panels on the back.

• Members
I've often wondered why more ES3XX guitars aren't made like the Tom DeLonge sig model:

Could it be because its butt ugly?

If I had a really good laser I might consider cutting the beautiful flamed maple to make a cover but I would want the grain to match perfectly and I'm not good enough to do that by hand. I make wood cavity covers for mahogany guitars but the back on this is fairly spectacular.

And, fwiw, I paid more for the maple alone than the whole DeLonge guitar costs.

• Members

Lots of odds and ends. Mount the Bigsby and other shinny stuff

IMG_3396_zpss5vdedoi.jpg

Final fret level and crown

IMG_3408_zpsf82adwrt.jpg

Put some strings on and make a nut

IMG_3409_zps0rsnjfwm.jpg

IMG_3410_zpswabgmsjt.jpg

IMG_3416_zpsrpcfckk5.jpg

mmmm, I don't like that plastic truss rod cover. It looks, well, plastic. Put that on the to do list.

Knobs and pick guard and strap buttons and whatever....

IMG_3417_zpsdwniyvue.jpg

Took it inside and plugged it in

IMG_3413_zpssa12mvku.jpg

Wow, I kind of like this thing. Impressive sustain and almost a natural reverb. Tomorrow it goes to its new home so I better play the hell out if tonight.

• Members
Fantastic work and looks amazing! I hope your customer is thrilled!

I like the gold hardware a lot in this context. If you have the balls to put your stage name on the pickguard you deserve gold baby! :)

Ah ah!!!

Yeah, my previous comment could be interpreted the wrong way. It's very much own taste and clearly is irrelevant to this guitar.

And what a lovely guitar! I keep looking at that top and back and drool....

Archived