Has Fender lost their minds?

sammyreynolds01

• Members

Most FMIC product is garbage. This includes their "Custom Shop" stuff that used to be really nice and only available at select 'Diamond Dealers' (there were 50 or something nationwide). They only had a handful of dealers back then as well.

Now, they churn out CS guitars like assembly line guitars and they're made by faceless people.

In a perfect world Henry J would buy FMIC and build all the 'marque' brands in the USA. 3/4 of what they make would be named and called Squire.

• Members

I don't get to work on too many Fender acoustics - lets face it, they are kind of obscure, but the two that I did work on had the same problem - lifting bridges. When I popped the bridge off in both cases the factory had not removed the top finish to bare wood before the bridge was glued on - unfortunately glue just does not adhere to finish. This is one of the most basic operations in building an acoustic guitar and not doing it properly sets the stage for certain failure.

IMG_1089_zps55ijvkqw.jpg

I don't know if other Fenders are built in the same way in the same plant but two our of two is pretty bad odds.

• Members

Throw Eastman into this conversation and for a grand used, get a real Martin 15 series. No brainier as far as I'm concerned.

I owned a Blueridge 361 for a bit, should never have sold it, was a very impressive guitar. If you buy an acoustic online, check out Maury's music and spend some time at http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24

• Members

I have a Taylor GS mini that is kind of like a modern parlor guitar.

Mine is the mahogany one without the pup, cause I bought it years ago.

Made in Mexico, so you might need to cherry pick through some of the firewood they used to make these things. They sound pretty nice all in all.

• Members

Made in Mexico, so you might need to cherry pick through some of the firewood they used to make these things. They sound pretty nice all in all.

Martin do one too...All solid, the dread junior, still has that Martin tone.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DreadJR

• Members

I have a few Taylor guitars and they're nice for what they are. I have a classical (which is actually pretty nice) that is made in Mexico as well as a Mexican 12 string. I have one of the limited edition USA baritone guitar as well.

IMHO Gibson and Martin make better guitars. I guess better is subjective, but that's my opinion. As for having to pick through them I couldn't disagree more. I have played new Martin/Gibson guitars that sound still and thin and a few years later they sound amazing. If you're talking about used I would agree with trying them first.

If I was short on cash and wanted a nice acoustic I would buy a used Rhode Island Guild. Great American made guitar and they sound great.

I like my GS Mini quite a bit too. Like yours, it's the mahogany backed model with the spruce top. It's surprisingly "big" sounding for a small guitar. If it was a 24" scale instead of 23.5", it would be even better.

Archived