Rondo guitars and those brands.

Randellscott

• Members

I love Rondo guitars and Kurt is as honest as they come. Some people are confused and spread myths about the guitars. Kurt had them made. No. Other people around the world sell the brand. You can get a nice custom guitar from them too. I here from Gibson players that the love the Agile LP copy. I like the fact they are great but cost effective. I have a Douglas Halo. Basswood explorer copy with ceramic humbuckers. I love basswood no problems there. Replace the nut and switch and you got a great guitar. How many own a Rondo guitar and love the brand you got from Kurt. You could have got it second hand. Off Ebay. How many want too own a Agile, Douglass, etccc..... They sell some nice twelve strings. And nice 7 strings. The Agile Reaper is nice. But some of the low ends stuff is OK Like SX strat copies. The higher end stuff is killer. What is your opinion on the brands? Some are basswood some are not. Most guitar players rag on basswood a lot. Scott Grove has custom guitars made of basswood. The SX Base look just like a Fender jazz bass guitar and Is swamp ash Some myths is I have to change every pot or wire. Or the body is not made right. Or the neck is bad etcc... How many of you own one of those brands?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My wife bought me an SX Telecaster copy back in 2005 (maybe 2006, can't remember).

I haven't done anything to it other than setting it up to my liking, and strings obviously.

Love that guitar. Sounds good. Plays good.

My only "complaint" is the neck is gloss finished. I very much prefer satin but hey- that's preference!

• Members

I have the Douglas Ash Gravity semi ho0llow tele. One of the best thin lines I have ever played AFTER changing the bridge. And Scott grove is an idiot who professes to have more knowledge about guitars than God, and says absolutely NOTHING during a 45 minute rant. When told, put up or shut up, claims to have made name branded guitars, and yet, not ONE has ever been discovered.

• Members

Rondo is not a brand, it is a music supply retailer.

SX is sold in various places in the world and made in China. Agiles are made by a Korean company.

I have several SX guitars. Most of them are pretty good. One was a piece of crap I bought from Kurt for $69 but I fixed it and it plays well.

Most needed fret work but just about every guitar I have has needed fret work.

They can be a good buy if you have repair skills in case you get a bad one. I always expect they will need some work. If you don't know how to set-up/fix guitars then you will have to spend some money getting them fixed/set up. Thus that $99 guitar turns into a $150-$200 guitar which is still pretty low cost.

For the price they are great. The pickups are ok if you don't mind ceramic pickups which I don't.

The Chinese make SX guitars for about $20.

Kurt has always been great with me.

• Members

I have a couple of SXes, they're great platforms for modding and tinkering with. They have great bodies and necks, and awesome jumbo frets. I have an SX Floyded Strat that I replaced the pickguard, bridge humbucker and Floyd on. I got the pickguard from GuitarPartsOnline, the OFR and OFR locking nut from AXcessories.com, and the lone humbucker in it is a GFS Crunchy Rails. I replaced the tuners with no-name tuners from an old guitar that were better than the stock SX tuners. It's almost guaranteed that you're going to have to replace the tuners on any SX that you get.

The next guitar is an SX SR-1STD Superstrat, and I upgraded the tuners and the Floyd on that. I got the tuners from GuitarPartsOnline.com and a Floyd Rose Special from AZguitarparts.com.

Both of the Floyds have upgraded blocks and personally, I think the bigger blocks improve the tone.

gUtCyxBt.jpg Ubh5t0OZ.jpg pQdn9ZEL.jpg 1NjtWMon.jpg

• Moderators

Rondo guitars is a shop.

It sells some decent stuff, and some appalling stuff.

Some is made in Korea, some China, there is no brand, you don't give any coherent rationale about any one guitar in particular, your whole post comes over as spammy/shilly, he has rebrands of a lot of Sain Corpn. guitars, especially in the Douglas range, he sells guitars that aren't made with a specified wood as mahogany, there are quite a few here who have stripped said mahogany guitars and found not mahogany, but meranti and various other non mahogany woods.

You'd be well advised to see this as a caution, this forum is about electric guitars, not brands or businesses.

And as for SX, they are a global brand Kurt happened to be a US distributor for them, some are good, their basses are well liked in many places, but some are appalling.

As I've mentioned a few time recently, I'll iterate this forum's mission:

"Everything electric, from strings and pickups to construction and modding. On-topic posts only please"

Don't mind a tad of OT banter, but shill/spam and promoting products posts are not at all encouraged

• Moderators
John Suhr likes basswood and he's moar.

Problem with basswood is there's so much variation between varieties,

Some basswood is just plain bad, some is OK, and some is really very good.

Ash is nearly always good, although with a significant range of density, alder for those who like it's properties is always good, and lets not talk about mahogany because down that road lies only tears.

I have a basswood Ibanez Roadstar bass, I love it, but it's not the soft crappy stuff that you often get on the cheaper basswood guitars

• Members

Not interested in any sweatshop manufacturers like that. Nor am I interested in supporting the lazy middleman westerners who act like they are "guitar companies", when the extent of their "guitar building" is coming up with a logo and maybe requesting a few specs, and then placing an order.

They are "guitar flippers".......nothing more.

The stuff is cheap for a reason, but there are costs to that kind of "business" run much deeper.

"cost effective" is code for exploitation, plain and simple.

• Members

One of my guitar students ( who had very limited funds) wanted a new bridge pickup ( a Dragon Fire Alnico 5 w/ Gold Cover) installed, his guitar intonated and a truss rod adjustment .... so I did a freebee for the kid.

I tried out his 24 fret Black LPC w/ a Floyd Rose copy tremolo system ..... damn good World Class guitar !!!! .... easily comparable to my 1974 Gibby LPC and my 2007 Epi LPC.

• Members
Not interested in any sweatshop manufacturers like that. Nor am I interested in supporting the lazy middleman westerners who act like they are "guitar companies", when the extent of their "guitar building" is coming up with a logo and maybe requesting a few specs, and then placing an order.

They are "guitar flippers".......nothing more.

The stuff is cheap for a reason, but there are costs to that kind of "business" run much deeper.

"cost effective" is code for exploitation, plain and simple.

Well, I guess you will only be buying custom made, luthier built guitars then. Even Fender and Gibson now outsource some of their lines of their manufacturing and parts to Asia.

What amps will you use? They are all Asian made.

And what car will you drive? The majority of parts in all cars are now made in Asia. Americans basically just assemble cars now.

And what computer will you use? All computers are manufactured in Asia.

What clothes will you wear? Even bespoke suits use cloth made overseas.

What shoes will you wear? Will you go to your local cobbler to have him make you a pair of shoes?

Oh dear!

• Members

Well, I guess you will only be buying custom made, luthier built guitars then. Even Fender and Gibson now outsource some of their lines of their manufacturing and parts to Asia.

And what car will you drive? The majority of parts in all cars are now made in Asia. Americans basically just assemble cars now.

What shoes will you wear? Will you go to your local cobbler to have him make you a pair of shoes?

Oh dear!

WTF is it the USA does anyway?

• Members

WTF is it the USA does anyway?

We bring democracy to stone-age countries. If they give us a hard time we bomb the sh*t out of them.

We only do this for places that have stuff we want though like oil and other good stuff.

Don't try to get political here 1001. Not allowed. I will report you and recommend bombing if you persist.

• Members

Oh dear!

Nope. All my guitars are made in Japan. Japanese have excellent labor standards. Health and safety laws are enforced as well as any country in the world and the workers are paid fairly.

Both my amps are made in the USA.

As for the rest of your argument......a few points to consider. To show how flawed your logic is.

First off...I never said I was perfect. So there is your error number one. But I try to do what I can when I can....

which leads me to point number two...

By your logic....if you can't do everything you should just say f...k it and do nothing?

That's really great thinking isn't it? Is that how you live your life? Never considering anything? If you can't make even a small bit of difference in one aspect of your life then you should just surrender everything and be as abusive as possible in every area of your life? Cause that IS what you are implying.

If that's the way you choose to live then fine. That's your right. But I'm going to call out your argument for the illogical mess it is. It doesn't even stand the most elementary scrutiny.

Yes I wear sweatshop clothing. Yes, I use sweatshop computers. And I don't like it one bit. But guitars and amps are somewhere I can EASILY make a difference with my purchases, because unlike clothing and computers, non sweatshop options are EASY to find. And yeah....I feel better about it. oh dear is right. I suspect your response is more a reflection of you than it is about me.

• Members

The only one I bought was about five years ago, for my son. Piece of crap, absolute junk. Glad others have had good luck with them. If I'm looking for something really cheap I'll go with GFS, especially their Earl Slick models.

Archived