Myths about Pro Live Audio?

• Members
SM58 is the all time best Mic ever created. No Other Mic in the world is better than it.

While I have one that I never use as I have more than one type of mic - I would say that no other mic will sound OK on anything. 30 years ago we used them on kick, guitar cabs, drums and they always worked OK on any voice. For someone just starting out you could do a lot worse than a kit entirely of 58's and 57's .

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Bose Systems are just better than conventional PA gear in all applications. You should play through the DJ's system!

The name brand recognition will get you more gigs since "Brides know Bose".

I kid you not....there are a large group of ppl on the DJ sites who believe this.

• Members

The name brand recognition will get you more gigs since "Brides know Bose".

I kid you not....there are a large group of ppl on the DJ sites who believe this.

We switched out our Meyer system for a JBL one and when we changed the wording on our advertisements to reflect that, we started getting quotes because "I like that you guys are running a real JBL system" and such. Nobody locally has heard of Meyer and the boxes weren't as pretty. I can confidently say that we've gotten gigs based on the badges on the front of our speakers saying JBL.

• Members
We switched out our Meyer system for a JBL one and when we changed the wording on our advertisements to reflect that, we started getting quotes because "I like that you guys are running a real JBL system" and such. Nobody locally has heard of Meyer and the boxes weren't as pretty. I can confidently say that we've gotten gigs based on the badges on the front of our speakers saying JBL.

The left coast folks say they don't run into that but that's sure true out here! If I wanted to make a serious business out of this 2x15 JRX over 2x18 JRX and JRX monitors would get more business than the good non-JBL stuff for sure :freak: .

• Members

I have questions about numbers 3 and 4. Are you saying all speakers are going to be at the same loudness level given a certain power, or are you just saying that the specification they give in the manual is useless or unrealistic?

I'm saying (in general terms) that if you take any 2 speakers and put a signal into them and then take a measurement for spl (on axis) and set them to be the same that they will continue to be the same as you get more distance (outdoors) if you don't change the levels. In other words, one doesn't lose level faster than the other. The exception would be one that had "true cylinderical output" (at least over the frequencies that it actually did) as compared to a normal "point source" type speaker.

Also, I was under the impression that a condenser microphone was better at capturing overheads because it could "hear" more or they have a wider pick up pattern. Also in the thread about microphones that are best for rejecting feedback a lot of people commented on an audix om7. They said it didn't pick up a whole lot after 3 inches, so the singer would have to eat the mic. Am I just not getting what you mean by "reach"?

So I'm not speaking to pattern as that can vary a lot from mic to mic. But like the speaker example above ... if you set up two mics (directly together and away from boundaries) at set them so that they have exactly the same levels, then they will both pick up the drum set that is 10 or 20 feet behind them (on axis) the same (assuming their frequency response is the same). Feedback is a different issue that has more to do with frequency response, both on and off axis.

btw ... this would not hold for specialty mics like "differential pairs"

Both of these conditions are simple inverse square situations.

• Members
I'm saying (in general terms) that if you take any 2 speakers and put a signal into them and then take a measurement for spl (on axis) and set them to be the same that they will continue to be the same as you get more distance (outdoors) if you don't change the levels. In other words, one doesn't lose level faster than the other. The exception would be one that had "true cylinderical output" (at least over the frequencies that it actually did) as compared to a normal "point source" type speaker.

So I'm not speaking to pattern as that can vary a lot from mic to mic. But like the speaker example above ... if you set up two mics (directly together and away from boundaries) at set them so that they have exactly the same levels, then they will both pick up the drum set that is 10 or 20 feet behind them (on axis) the same (assuming their frequency response is the same). Feedback is a different issue that has more to do with frequency response, both on and off axis.

Both of these conditions are simple inverse square situations.

Oh, OK. :thu:

• Members

You can make a lot of money doing sound.

So it's in the 700 mhz range, nobody will catch me.

BMI says the band has to pay a fee to play covers in here.

If the handles are strong enough to lift the cabinets with, we can just wrap chain through them and hang them up there.

12s? My subs have 18s and will kill those 12s.

Nobody else ever had problems with the electricity.

This trailer will be big enough.

• Members

So it's in the 700 mhz range, nobody will catch me.

Yup, I've heard this one. A certain cell company that starts with a V recently served a cease and desist on folks running non-compliant mics in a local courthouse. They had to yank a whole bunch of old gear.

• Members

Isnt that true?

No. It would be nice if it where that easy to defeat the laws of physics, but that's why they call them laws. Sound follows the inverse distance law. If you double the distance, the sound level is cut in half. If you triple the distance you have 1/3 the sound level. The shape of the horn or the dispersion pattern cannot change that(on this planet, anyway;)).

• Members

No. It would be nice if it where that easy to defeat the laws of physics, but that's why they call them laws. Sound follows the inverse distance law. If you double the distance, the sound level is cut in half. If you triple the distance you have 1/3 the sound level. The shape of the horn or the dispersion pattern cannot change that(on this planet, anyway;)).

might want to recheck this

• Members

Isnt that true?

As mentioned, it is not true.

What you are confusing is that it would be louder to begin with (on axis) but if you start with two speakers that are the same level, they will continue to be the same level over distance (at least outdoors).

When indoors there is a concept called "critical distance" and within the critical distance they will remain the same. The 70 degree horn will likely have a longer critical distance but this depends a lot on the reverberant time (R value) of the room.

• Members

If a manufacturer makes a cabinet where everything is the same in two cabinets except the dispersion, the crossover should account for this and reduce the hi level. If it doesn't, the cabinet would actually sound different because the spectral balance would change. If you look at the EAW KF300 and KF 360 spec sheets, you will see that the 60

• Members

might want to recheck this

Maybe you should. I'm not inclined or prepared to debate the laws of physics, but, if you want more SPL at a distance than you need more SPL at the source. For example, A 60 degree horn producing 100dB will have the same SPL at 100 feet as a 90 degree horn producing 100 dB.

There is a lot of info out there on this subject if interested.

Archived