• Members

The sound guy will save your butt if you:

1) Forget your guitar cord

2) Break a string mid set

3) Forget your 9 volt battery for your wireless rig

4) Forget your mic

5) Have spare drum sticks ready

6) Always make you loudest in the monitors

7) Bring you beer and drinks when you are thirsty, including your girlfriends.

Myth:

1) Cutting off the ground lug on the electric cord is a good idea.

2) The band can show up 15 minutes before showtime and the sound will be great!

Johnny

• Members

It depends on the application. 1/4" instrument cables can have a big effect of the sound of a guitar plugged into an amp.

Yep. I can definitely tell a difference between a generic cable and my Spectraflex cables, as far as audio signals go (mixer, guitar to effects to amp). It's noticeable.

Mic cables, on the other hand...not so much.

• Members

It doesnt matter if your guitar tone sounds bad. The Soundman will fix it for the FOH on the mixer. If it stills sounds bad...that means he's an idiot.

I thought it was, "It doesn't matter how GOOD your guitar tone is, the soundman will make it sound BAD."

• Members

How about these

>Under-powering a speaker can cause it to blow up.

>Improper gain structure contributes to feedback

>A speaker with a higher sensitivity rating will always sound louder than one with a lesser rating given the same power

>Some microphones have more "reach" than others

>Short throw and long throw speakers exist

>Exciters have no use in pro audio

I have questions about numbers 3 and 4. Are you saying all speakers are going to be at the same loudness level given a certain power, or are you just saying that the specification they give in the manual is useless or unrealistic? Also, I was under the impression that a condenser microphone was better at capturing overheads because it could "hear" more or they have a wider pick up pattern. Also in the thread about microphones that are best for rejecting feedback a lot of people commented on an audix om7. They said it didn't pick up a whole lot after 3 inches, so the singer would have to eat the mic. Am I just not getting what you mean by "reach"?

Archived