Did you start playing guitar to impress girls?

groovezilla

• Members
. . . On a more serious note' date=' I seem to remember thinking more along the lines of "playing guitar is cool" than "playing guitar will get me girls". . . .[/quote']

That was me. Guys who played guitar were popular and I wasn't. Mom taught me to play the ukulele but that wasn't particularly popular either so I started playing guitar.

• Members

To be serious, I had been playing tapes of Satriani's "Surfing with The Alien", some early Black Sabbath mix, Ted Nugent's "Weekend Warriors", and Anthrax's "Among The Living" all through the summer of 1987 (while beating the original Legend of Zelda), if I remember correctly. I turned 13 during that summer and for whatever reason the electric guitar really spoke to me then.

I can remember a specific time when listening to to Satriani's "Midnight" and "Hill of the Skull" and thinking it was the neatest thing ever, and then later another where I was listening to the aforementioned Anthrax album and marveling over the sound of metal palm mutes. I recall saying out loud: "I need to learn how to play the guitar because I need to know what that 'shunk shunk shunk' sound is". That is what sealed the deal.

It just so happened that one of my best friends' mom started dating this guy that was a guitar dude, and he was pretty good. Kind of an a-hole, but great on the guitar in the SRV/Clapton/Hendrix/Eric Johnson vein. So my friend started learning from his mom's bf (now his stepdad) and I figured I should do the same to keep up with the joneses. I bought a 17-fret Norma (a rebranded '60s Teisco) from my sister's friend. It had one gold foil pickup in the worst possible spot, action that was 5 feet off the neck and the volume/tone knobs were broken off. I painted "NOT" onto the fretboard above the 12th fret to match the Jackson V that Scott Ian of Anthrax had, and the rest is history.

Did girls factor into any of this? No. Not at all. But once I hit High School it became very apparent that the guitar could get me laid, and I was damn sure to exploit the eff out of that when I could.

Oh, and I never considered getting a 'better' guitar than the Norma until I started learning Satriani's "Always With Me, Always With You" and ran out of frets.

• Members

I started playing because I like music. Never thought about it as means to get girls. Perhaps I have Aspergers... I wouldn't particularly want a girl who picks a guy depending on how well he plays guitar. I'd like her to have more sensible criteria.

• Members

i started cause my mountain bike got stolen and i could not afford a new one. my best friend at the time started playing and i thought it was cool. so i pegged my parents to get a guitar as replacement of my bike. i got the cheapest guitar available (less than $100 hmm in 1991 or so) for christmas and i learned from my friend what he learned from his brothers friend...

girls would have been a factor but it never worked, when i played all the girls around started kissing the other guys, when i stopped playing the girls screamed "plz don't stop its sooo romantic", but never was a girl left for the guitar player :(

yeah a real real sad story :)

• Members

Nah, my mom actually won a guitar (Teisco Strat copy) in a music store giveaway before I'd even reached puberty (late 60's). Then my parents tracked down an amp (Princeton Reverb), must've been a good deal or my parents wouldn't have gotten it. It was actually a nice little rig, but to me it was just another thing to play around with. A few years later we moved to West Nyack New York (from SLC Ut) and I made some new friends. Sleeping out in the back yard one night and we decided to start a band. We settled on the name Spartans. Our first practice at the drummers house revealed that I was the only one that had a clue how to play. The drummer's dad was encouraging us, but a practice or two later and we were back to bike patrol, pestering the neighborhood girls, playing ball and roaming the woods. A year later my family moved to Emerson NJ, a new set of friends that played hoops and I had a new obsession.

• Members

I learned because I liked it, always did, both acoustic and electric. I did though, learn the power of the guitar quickly...

I just began seeing this girl a couple of years after I was getting good on my acoustic, singing and playing. She was a bit of a cold girl with real nice sweater puppies... Anyway, I played and sang her a song, facetiously, and she started crying and dragged me to the bedroom. I got my brown wings that day, lesson learned.

• Members

I didn't, for ome thing i started playing Classical and that definitely wasn't a chick magnet. Yet after 20 years of marriage, my wife told me that I got her attention because I could play Nothing Else Matters on my classical guitar in the dorms, and I didn't even know know who she was at the time...

Archived