Lets build something that looks (kind of) like a Les Paul (Jr) - Clip Added

Freeman Keller

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

As this is like an AJ Coholic thread, and no reflection on the ES175 build FK, I'm gonna sticky this, mainly for my benefit:)

Nah, I love the awesomeness in these threads where someone is just brave enough to apply some skills carefully and methodically and end up with a gorgeous unique guitar. AJC's thread inspired many people, myself included to go from assembling Partscaster, to building LP type set necks

• Members

Whoa, thank you RC, I am flattered. I saw that you had commented on the thread and went looking for it, here it is stuck to the top of the page. If I can get the temperature in the shop above freezing today I'll start buffing and maybe do some wiring.

As far as inspiring others to try building their own guitar - that is part of the reason I do this. I am so grateful to those people who have inspired and helped me and if I can do the same for someone else it makes this worth while. So, if there is anyone out there who wants to give this a go, let me lead you astray, er, offer my help.

• Members
Wow. This looks beautiful. If I remember right, the top is cedar. That took the finish really well and polished up nicely.

The top is "Spanish cedar" which is neither a cedar or from Spain. Its of the mahogany family and is what Martin calls "select hardwood" or something like that when they use it in necks. There is more of this where I bought it - I might buy a couple more sets on speculation - always good to have some wood on hand....

• Members

Time for some electrickity. The standard LP wiring has a little quirk where if you have the switch in the middle (both pups) and turn one volume down it kills both pick ups. There is a slight modification that allow each volume pot to truly only control that pup - in the middle it blends both. I'll do that mod.

I've also learned that it is much easier to do some of the wiring before the pots are installed in the cavity - obviously you can't do it all but I built a little jig to let me prewire some of it. Everything is the correct distance apart so I can cut wires to length without fiddling around inside the cavity. This is on place the Fender method of loading the pick guard beats Gibson's hands down, but I sure prefer the looks of the Gibbie.

IMG_2120_zps38fb63b5.jpg

Here's everything stuffed into the cavity and the switch and pickups connected. Wiring is complete

IMG_2122_zpse362ad1d.jpg

Pressed the studs in for the bridge and tailpiece and slipped them in place to check the neck angle - not that I could do much about it now.

IMG_2124_zps5c2ae326.jpg

I'm going to call that perfect which means I can celebrate with a nice cold adult beverage. Tomorrow we'll mount the tuners and make a nut. Stay tuned

Archived