Lets build something that looks (kind of) like a Les Paul (Jr) - Clip Added

Freeman Keller

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
That came out amazing!

Just curious how much it wound up weighing?

Thank you everyone for all the nice comments. The guitar ended up weighing 7 lb 10 oz, which compares to my all solid LP clone at 9 lb 3 oz, almost a pound and a half lighter. Other than the chambering and the fact that the tops are slightly different the two guitars are identical - same pups, electronics, woods, etc. I'm going to try to get some clips to see if we can tell any difference in sound.

IMG_2164_zps25a4a792.jpg

• Members

A friend was at the house last night and played the two Lesters - I got a nice long comparison recording of them and will try to edit it so we can listen to the two guitars. For now here is Mike Bills noodling around on the new one

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Freeman_Keller/Les_Paul_Jr_1.mp3

Played clean thru a Quilter amp into a Shure SM57 and Cakewalk. Only one channel, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Flip it over and drill some holes through the back to make the electronics cavity and access to the switch (no pictures). Route out the shape of the cavity cover

IMG_1942_zps89eff031.jpg

And make some nice mahogany covers to fit

IMG_1946_zpsc69de0c6.jpg

Cheap plastic covers just look so, well cheap and plastic.

Love the Mahogany Covers!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
The guitar looks great!

I was wondering if you could tell me why manufacturer's wire the pickups the way they do? I can;t for the life of me figure out why you'd put two pots in it and not be able to blend them.

I can't answer that but with the normal wiring you can blend them, its just when you turn one all the way down it also kills the other. I suppose they figure that if you wanted to turn one off you'd do it with the switch. Its a simple mod if you own a Lester

• Members

" well...I assume that if you use either volume control you are controlling both pickups. I suppose that is an EXTREMELY crude "blending". My idea of blending means I can add just a bit of neck pup and a lot of bridge. Or vice versa. "Blend" them to my taste...not kill them both in the very same way.

I happen to think it's stupid. I see no player benefit at all. The volume controls the pickup no matter what else is going on. It SHOULD be very simple.

And yes..the mod is pretty easy to find- just bewildering to have to do the mod to make it like how it should be.

Archived