I hate to say it but these Forums have officially died.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I, for one, appreciate all the points of view expressed in this forum. I also enjoy hearing gig stories and band issues. I don't post a lot, but it's nice to have someplace to go when I have a question or want some advice. I have to agree that it was probably the last update/change HC made that chased away a lot of people. Too bad. Hopefully some of them will come back. More importantly, it would be nice if HC could find some way to reach out to people and maybe get some fresh faces on here.

• Members

I don't know... Once I got used the new UI getting around is easy enough. No speed issues that I've ran across recently. I, for one, don't really miss the influx of users coming in for one or two post looking for validation on their Nady/Pyle/Behringer system, only to get all butt hurt when experienced users didn't concur and jump ship. Those that truly want the knowledge offered here will first learn how to search, how to read, how to ask an intelligent question and how to use the answers provided. And if that means fewer but better quality users, then so be it. Anybody remember the time this forum got over run by the kids from another forum because some said something they didn't agree with? That was fun!

Honestly, I like David's posts. I don't recall anytime he's tried to lead someone astray and usually they are about upholding your band to a higher standard and giving your audience the best show you can, rather than sinking deeper and deeper into mediocrity simply because that's the way it is where you are. Always based on his experience in a successful show band. Of course there are other ways and opinions. About the only time I tune out is when he and the guy from South Padre (sorry I couldn't remember your name!) start going back and forth.

• Members

I think one reason that there is less discussion here than there used to be may be that the "usual suspects" here have reached a consensus on a number of issues. A lot of the most active debates I remember from the past involved somebody (e.g., Wade, Tim, etc.) taking a position contrary to the experience of other people and a "vigorous discussion" back and forth as each side tried to show the other the error of its ways. That doesn't happen as often anymore, because, I think, most of the people here have achieved a pretty sophisticated understanding of the dynamics of band management and there aren't really big philosophical differences on most issues, and where there are, people have basically agreed to disagree and don't rehash them over and over.

However, the lack of similar discussions more recently indicates that fewer new people are coming in.

I have noticed, and you should all take this as a compliment, that the regulars on this forum do indeed have a more sophisticated and informed understanding of band issues that I see on lots of other forums. That's why I keep checking in here regularly, and I recommend this forum to people looking for information on running bands. I think people who do come here with questions are likely to get mostly very good advice.

• Members
I am back for the first time in a while. Not sure I like this new setup. Have they actually fixed it until it was permanently broken?

Pretty much. Ironically, the big move back to vBulletin has left us with a platform that is only marginally better overall than the last Lithium platform. If that.

And apparently the bugs that remain are being considered as either too minor or more trouble to fix than they are worth. There hasn't been any changes or update reports in a month. So I'm guessing that this is what we have.

Too bad. Dealing with photos and videos are a pain and the mobile version is practically useless as is.

• Members
Tim said he was kinda taking the season off from playing. So I figure he'll probably be back when he's gigging more again.

Last I heard he still has a one-nighter every week but the singer/artist has been trying other avenues and band configurations as well.

• Members

Old lurker/occasional poster come back to post on a thread about no one posting anymore (oh the irony)...

It appears I'm not missing much. The constant upgrade fiascos are a big reason why I don't peruse HC much anymore. Every time they had a new version, I'd have to re-register and lose my post counts and usernames - not to mention the fact that the forum UI looked (and still does) like {censored} and worked even worse. I don't understand how a site like The Gear Page can remain virtually unchanged for years and still retain a thriving community all the while working perfectly - and guess what! Not a single spam post - and this place is just run into the ground with completely asinine decisions. It's mind-boggling.

My hats off to you guys still here trying to make it work though. I'm sure eventually it'll get back to some semblance of the great community it once was.

• Members
Tim said he was kinda taking the season off from playing. So I figure he'll probably be back when he's gigging more again.

I am still kickin. I have made some changes with the music. I left the songwriter band. Still doing a tue night show with the side project. I figure that gig is good till fall and after than who knows. I took that two month time out and decided I liked having all the extra free time. It had been 5 years so it wasn't a bad run but I came to the conclusion that it was taking up way too much of my time and had turned into the same old same old in so many way. In the mean time I have been sailing and ejoying not being on someone elses schedule. One show a week is just right. Who knows , zero shows might even be better. The songwriter band played a market day show yesterday , and I was out sailing the boat in 25 to 30 kt winds. Had the sails reefed down but kept cool going up wind by getting blasted with spay. It was a bomb ass day to sail. Sailing gets more physical the harder it blows. I felt it this morning and I am sure will have some bruises from banging into things. I guess that's why they call it beating up wind. You take a beating going up wind to enjoy the sled ride back down wind.

• Members

When I first came here, I was just starting out and looking for advice. There were a few people here who were doing what I wanted to do and they helped me along my way. Now, my band is doing pretty well and although we aren't setting the world on fire, we are as busy as we want to be, we play good (and coveted) rooms, have quality equipment, a good light rig, an entertaining setlist, and we're making decent money. The main thing keeping us from moving further up the food chain is the limited scheduling availability of certain band members - not bad checklist for band of amateurs :D and I have HC to thank for it!

So now what is here for me?

I keep popping in here thinking maybe I can offer up some advice to someone who wants to follow a similar path, but no one seems to be asking many band-related questions. I see 3 - 4 questions posted as topics in the past month - one is mine. Although I find many of the other posts interesting, and it's cool to see updates from bands that are doing well, I don't see many topics that really invite *discussion*. :/

Does that make sense?

• Members

Good to see Jamie B and Wade back!

IMO what is preferable to seeing this forum get ever slower, is more sharing of live performance clips. It's always interesting to me see how others in the trenches do things, seeing as how we all have similar limitations- trying to recreate studio versions of songs that have a gazillion tracks.

• Members
That would be forum singular! The songwriting forum is doing quite well. Full disclosure, I am a moderator there. Why is it doing so well, well hell, I'm glad you asked! A core group of friends, like here, that have a narrow yet totally engaging focus, like here! To help each other make better music. What is done is done, and I don't believe in everything that has been done. But it has been done. The songwriting forum is where I need my buddies with me. The friends came first and then the moderator moniker for me. The moderator status will go before the friends do. So trust me when I say that I need my friends over there to help me make better music. I suspect a lot of you here do too. So we hang in there. It's not the forum software, it's the friendship and shared ideas.

thank you!

Archived