I hate to say it but these Forums have officially died.

• Members

Not trying to be a downer but traffic is down a good 95%...by ANY metric the people who bought a VERY SUCCESSFUL, POPULATED forum flat out killed it. Good job:) There's nothing out there that seems to be what HC used to be is there?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

That would be forum singular! The songwriting forum is doing quite well. Full disclosure, I am a moderator there. Why is it doing so well, well hell, I'm glad you asked! A core group of friends, like here, that have a narrow yet totally engaging focus, like here! To help each other make better music. What is done is done, and I don't believe in everything that has been done. But it has been done. The songwriting forum is where I need my buddies with me. The friends came first and then the moderator moniker for me. The moderator status will go before the friends do. So trust me when I say that I need my friends over there to help me make better music. I suspect a lot of you here do too. So we hang in there. It's not the forum software, it's the friendship and shared ideas.

• Members

Well, I don't think it's forum singular because the same thing can be said about most of the forums here. Most have, at best, a fraction of the traffic they used to have. They are all down to that few core group of "friends" of about a couple dozen or so hardcore contributors. I haven't been to the songwriting forum much, but maybe that's all it ever was to begin with? I dunno.

But the places that relied heavily on all sorts of people coming from all sorts of places to contribute for all sorts of reasons....they are dead and gone. At least for now and compared to what they used to be.

A core group of friends is great, but you don't really need a worldwide public forum for that. You could do that with Facebook or email.

• Moderators
:) I don't think that at all. You are a perfect example of what makes this forum you frequent such a great place. I may tease, cajole, and be an asshole at times, but I believe this place is a wonderful, informative, like-minded, bond building and awesome place. I may be misguided in my intentions at times but believe me, you guys are fantastic.

• Members

And I appreciate your contributions as well. And maybe this is just because I'm a head-butter, but I think there's something to be learned by both the participants and the observers of a good head-butting once in awhile. Even though it sometimes hurts!

I think we ARE all friends here. Or maybe more like brothers, who have to rough-and-tumble it sometimes. I like the small group here better than none at all (which is why I stay) but I liked it when there were a lot of part-timers and once-in-a-while dudes and dudettes too.

I think the songwriting forum is best when it's like a living room where everyone comes in with a guitar and a beer and sits around tossing around song ideas. This place is best when it's more like a bar, I think. A bit rougher, a bit competitive at times, everyone taking their turn on stage, some just hoping to get a band together or a gig. Not everyone always liking each other for a variety of reasons, but as long as you've the goods on some level or another, you're gonna earn your due respect.

• Members

Like I said, I think it's got at least as good a shot as any place. The bones are still here, and hopefully in better shape than they were a few months ago. When I first came here a dozen or so years ago it was because I was looking for reviews on keyboard gear and advice on how to use the new stuff I had purchased. And advice on good sound gear to buy. And then I liked the forums and stuck around. I imagine most of us have a similar story. As long as the search engines for such things still direct people here and they can easily find the info, I don't see why it won't re-build eventually.

Some people have opined that the internet has changed. That forum groups like this aren't the attraction they used to be for people. That Facebook and all that other stuff give people other things to do and places to hang out. I suppose that might be true too. If so....?

• Members

THIS particular forum was very weird at first. I didn't start hanging out here until a few years after I first came to HC. I lurked a bit and even posted a few times, but didn't feel very welcome at all. It was very clique-y and dominated by a few hardcore personalities. You had to sort of prove yourself to be allowed into the club. Most casual posts were either ignored or met with disdain. The only way to fit in then was to just ram my way into the mix.

Years later, and I'm still ramming! lol....

• Members

They won't die if people come here. It's the same problem the synth forum has. They complain all the time but there was a huge mass exodus to Keyboard Korner over at Music Player of all the pro's. Also changing the forum didn't help. They all think the keyboard forum here is a lot of inexperienced kids. People will come back if they feel there is something to be committed to so to speak. Tucktronix is back now as well.

• Members

Years later, and I'm still ramming! lol....

Honestly, Dave, I would be more inclined to read these pages more often if they weren't so completely dominated by you. I agree with some things you say, disagree with others, but for chrissakes, man, step back a bit.

Let's see how many posts you think will be necessary to formulate an adequate response.

• Members

I'm a big fan of HC - it's nice to be able to discuss the musical endeavors and learn what it's like in the rest of the country versus the FB groups where it's all regional. I KNOW what works in Massachusetts - I want to see what goes on in PA, FL, CA, NV, etc so I can help make new things happen.

• Members
Honestly, Dave, I would be more inclined to read these pages more often if they weren't so completely dominated by you. I agree with some things you say, disagree with others, but for chrissakes, man, step back a bit. Let's see how many posts you think will be necessary to formulate an adequate response.
Ditto

• Members

I just keep checking in, seeing what's up. We don't gig a lot so I try to post something when we are. No real problems or questions on my end, everything pretty much goes according to plan. I just like hearing that people are playing out, seeing what gear they are using etc etc. Keep on keeping on, man it used to be an awesome forum. I used to be an OJ dumbass but I haven't bothered with that place since a few versions ago.

• Moderators
Seems to me the best way for the forum to be busier and less seemingly dominated by one person is for others to post more. Not to ask one person to post less.

But yeah, it was probably me that killed the forum. That makes sense. Lol

See?!?! I told you!

• Members

I have nothing good to add....other than this is the slowest website ever. Loved these forums in the past, could navigate and post with ease. Now they say the speed problem is fixed, but nothings changed. I believe thats why most have disappeared, not worth the headache. This version of v-bulletin stinks....they know it, but cant spend money to fix it/or change it. .........took 10 minutes to navigate to the bottom of this thread to make a reply.....:(

Archived