about to get banned at TGP (Dumble Content)

echodeluxe

• Members

i responded to their absolutely ridiculous dumble praise thread.

the first quote of from some dude responding to my first quote:

dude modified fender designs and kept his "secrets" safe under a pile of goop.

hes just a guy. give me a freaking break.

now this guy has at least one good point: why yell "yankees suck!" in a stadium full of yankee's fans? cuz i {censored}ing can.

read on.

Why post this if you want a break ? Would you do into a crowd of Yankees supporters and shout 'Yankees suck'.

Leo Fender didn't exactly start out with a blank sheet of paper either. It's where he took the designs. Same with Dumble. He started with Fender amps and took it in a whole new direction.

He started out in the 60's modifying Fender amps.....so did the founder of Mesa Boogie....These guys did similar things in a different way. The end reult of which in both cases is a far cry from a Fender.

Jim Marshall started with a '59 Bassman, made very few changes and released the JTM-45. Do we hear any disrespect for him ? No..of course not. He innovated not only guitar amp design in a big way, but a whole genre of music as a knock on effect.

The use of goop and other methods of design protection are at the sole discretion of the designer. Maybe your point would have more validity if it was aimed at the gazillion cloners of the Tubescreamer and other classic pedals that use goop to hide the fact. At least Dumble was trying to hide his own work to keep ahead of the game. Who can blame him for that ?

My hat goes off to all these pioneers of guitar amplifier design !!

okay i see where you are coming from, but you seriously went on a tangent.

the attitude towards this guy just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. sure he made amplifiers but he tweaked existing production designs to the whatever degree. cool. they sound okay i guess. its just funny to hear people exalt the name of someone who explained that tubes sound better because "electrons cant survive in a crystal lattice". that is NOT an engineer speaking. thats a ridiculous crock.

goop is bad. sorry. its never a good thing. goop happens when someone rips off a design or an idea from someone else and doesnt want people to find out hes a crook. there is no aspect of circuit design that calls for goop. never.

you need something to be stable and not vibrate? silicon rubber sealer under or between components. a very modest amount will do. lots of manufacturers do this. if you cover stuff with goop, thats it. theres no repair.

hes a terrible designer for making his designs completely non repairable. way to go, slugger.

sorry if this comes off as angry, but you have got to be kidding me. he made some cool stuff, but hes a bad designer and a con artist.

and the difference between dumble and randall smith is that smith actually DESIGNED things. he came up with simul class, basically invented cascading tube gain stages. seriously? there is NO comparison. and randall smith is up front and honest about his designs. no goop! imagine that.

and im not talking about tubescreamers. there are a million out there and a million that use goop. i already saifd i think goop is a terrible idea and that goes for pedals, amp, cars, boats, tv's, anything. but im responding to this dumble thread.

giving this guy this level of praise is mind boggling.

stick that in a crystal lattice.

there is no way they are gonna let this level of dissent run rampant. i expect some sort of ban within the day.

thread: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=6270119#post6270119

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i like the dumble sound even though it isn't for me and i agree he's just another guy who makes just another amp and but the people who love it act like nothing else will ever ever compare and there is just no use even trying to talk about anything "better" let alone even "different"

and yeah the whole crystal lattice thing is just pure :facepalm:

I had to sort of walk back my disdain for the guy after that, I really do like the amps, but jesus christ, what kind of pseudo-intellectual bullshit is that, really :lol:

• Members

Seems like the insight of someone that doesn't know about artists relationships with Dumble. It was originally intended that buyers who bought an amp from Dumble would never sell it to someone else but would sell it back to Dumble. This is one of many idiosyncrasies outlined in the contracts Dumble had for buyers. This essentially makes all the repair concerns null and void because no one who isn't the original buyer should ever have a Dumble amplifier. Any repairs would have been done by dumble in the first place.

Also, IIRC the goop in a Dumble amp is definitely nothing compared to the full-circuit gooping in boutique pedals. Its a small part of the preamp board which is not a place you would be typically doing many repairs. Everything in the power section which might need maintenance is readily accessible. The whole question of repair difficulty is a little silly IMO. Its not like these are fender bassmen that are floating around broken all over the place. They are exceedingly rare and would never show up on the bench of a tech who didn't know exactly what he was doing inside that amp.

• Members

Read his articles an interviews from the 70s and 80s, there is unbelievable stuff in there like the crystal lattice. Nobody knew anything back then so he got away with it.

It seems almost like some bad religions, how people believe him even with so much contradictory scientific proof.

But I want a Dumble anyway (then I would trade it for a trainwreck).

Archived