Show me your bass guitars.

mike.sartori

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So bitching.

Close / nice try, but not quite... :cop:;)

The proper, 70s approved way to say it would have been:

Sooo BITCHIN' dude! ;):D

I currently have two basses and one Bari - what I call my "bottom feeders":

BassesandBari-1.jpg

From Left to right: 2006 (IIRC ?) Rogue VB-100 Violin Bass, 1989 Ibanez SR-1100, 2005 Danelectro Baritone.

The VB-100 is a blast to play - I was reluctant to get a Rogue until this showed up and I played it a bit. I changed the tuning key buttons and put the Hofner "Teacup" knobs on it, and put flatwounds (40/60/80/100) on it - a few small changes that made a BIG difference to the look, feel and sound of the bass.

The Ibanez is my main bass. It's very versatile. EMG's and active electronics / EQ all stock. It was the top of their bass line when it was new. Killer, ultra-comfy neck for a full scale bass.

The Bari isn't a bass but it's obviously lower pitched than a guitar. Again, another fun to play, classic sounding instrument. At 30", its scale length is the same as the VB-100's.

• Members

How is the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass? My L-2000 is kinda too bright for me. It's super noticeable for bass if anyone's had to deal with super bright basses before. I don't want the Meshugga/Funk thing going on all the time.

Anyways, it's cheaper than my L-2000 and I like JB's a lot. Good/no?

:poke:

• Members

Pbone: I've heard almost 100% positive reviews on the squire from the bass e-community.

Although the G&L get's rave reviews and seems versatile enough to tame its brightness. Still if you're keen for a change I've heard of people gigging the new squires without modification, so they should be fine!

Are you playing through any bass amps/cabinets or it is for recording only? One reason I ask is because tweeter speakers in amps/monitors have a similar effect on bass sound as 'presence' controls often do on guitar amps.

Sorry if that was something you already knew.

Daddypants: it is a custom build from Bee basses. I also ahve a Cliff Bordwell bass on order :)

• Members

Pbone: I've heard almost 100% positive reviews on the squire from the bass e-community.

Although the G&L get's rave reviews and seems versatile enough to tame its brightness. Still if you're keen for a change I've heard of people gigging the new squires without modification, so they should be fine!

Are you playing through any bass amps/cabinets or it is for recording only? One reason I ask is because tweeter speakers in amps/monitors have a similar effect on bass sound as 'presence' controls often do on guitar amps.

Sorry if that was something you already knew.

Yay! The G&L is a great feeling bass and super nice, but the humbucker pickups have a built in bright and mid-rangey sound to them that I haven't been able to tame with EQ'ing. I have an SVT Pro III w/ 410 cab that is bitchin, but I don't really use it anymore. Just playing through my Jet (which rulzzz) for just some walking bass and occasional fill in... for walking bass. It's not the worst thing in the world to have a bright bass, but it might be a nice change, especially because I probably won't lose any money. JB's always just sound nice too.

I was going to say something else, but I forgot and you should know that.

• Members

I've been wanting to try one of those... basically a Jag body style with J Bass pups and neck, right?

Yeah pretty much. It's also got some neat electronics like a switchable active bass and treble boost, individual pickup selection and series parallel switch.

Plus master volume and tone knobs.

I love the neck. It's nice and narrow.

• Members

Yay! The G&L is a great feeling bass and super nice, but the humbucker pickups have a built in bright and mid-rangey sound to them that I haven't been able to tame with EQ'ing. I have an SVT Pro III w/ 410 cab that is bitchin, but I don't really use it anymore. Just playing through my Jet (which rulzzz) for just some walking bass and occasional fill in... for walking bass. It's not the worst thing in the world to have a bright bass, but it might be a nice change, especially because I probably won't lose any money. JB's always just sound nice too.

I was going to say something else, but I forgot and you should know that.

Well the SVT (as you, probably, know) is not really thought of as an amp with a sizzling tone, so if the G&L is too bright I think switching basses is the simplest bet and if you're into classic styling and tones hit up the Squire!

Also: I refuse to remember for you, lazy bastage :mad:

• Members

Picture of my two basses (main one is in the front) with my pedalboard from last weekends recording session.

P1010127.jpg

Gig back in July

3802127969_4846525477_b.jpg

A Big Al and a Bongo, awesome! My bass player would be insanely jealous of this post.

I want a bass, awesome thread.

Archived