Electric guitar: How loud do you usually practice?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I practice either through a Blackstar HT-5 or Toneport ux2 if I want effects and what not. We could definitely have a conversation while I'm practicing, but I'd probably get pissed because you're distracting me. :mad::wave:

• Members

Raised voices. But somewhere between that and conversational level. When I'm at my apartment at school it's quieter, now I'm at home so I can play at raised levels.

If I need to be quieter, I just play acoustic.

• Members

I didn't vote because I have more than one answer.

By myself it's unplugged or quietly with fx. And/or with cans.

With a drummer it's louder to match up with him and the bass player. If I'm too loud, it's their fault.

At a sound check level, the room determines the limits. Beyond that, it's the stage volume being a nice balanced level where all the musicians can hear whats going on.

I have a tendency to be too loud. I prefer a 3 piece band but the drummer and bassist have to be good. I would rather have keyboards than a second guitarist.

• Members
I'm talking about when you're practicing alone, at home. Not when you're practicing with your band - that's technically not
practice
, it's
rehearsal.
;)

I'm trying to determine how loud you
typically
play when messing around / practicing / noodling / etc. at home. I'm also interested in the type of rig you use for those "practice" sessions, so please describe that in a post...

Since most of you probably don't have a SPL meter and can't do accurate measurements, I'm going to use the human voice as a "reference". So when I say "whisper level" or "conversational level", I'm equating your volume level to the level of human speech.

If one of the poll options is somewhat close, please use that one. If it's not, please post and tell us about it.
:wave:

Depends...if I'm practicing to improve my chops, I usually practice within the limitations of the place I'm practicing (do I have to deal with neighbors, a wife reading in the next room, etc.?), but if I'm practicing to get a part down and tone is a factor, I practice it as close as loud as I need to be to get the tone I'm looking for...which is usually just a little quieter than rehearsal volume. :)

• Members

I'm about raised voice level at home and I live in an apartment. No complaints from the neighbors, so I guess all is good. Of course, this is through my Line 6 UX-2 through a set of studio monitors. A full amp would probably have more resonance to transfer through the floor.

Now, at the band rehearsal room when I'm practicing by myself, I'm at LOOUUDD, full band volume. What the point of a loud half-stack if you can't get it up to real volume levels:cop: It's like having a Ferrari and only putting around the parking lot:lol:

• Members

Depends on where I am. Like at my old place I couldn't have the volume up to loud cause of the neighbors. Where am at now is full of retiree's who've yet to make any complaints to me at all.:idk:

Practice volumes: Mark IV:3-4, Hiwatt:10:00 o'clock or maybe a smidgen above that.

Playing in a band context: MKIV: 8-9, Hiwatt 2:00-3:00.

Earplugs sure do help a bit.:lol:

• Members

Depends what im doing. If im practicing theory, or learninga certain song, ill just play unplugged. Other times i plug into a 15w ss amp and play at a little over conversational levels. Sometimes i just feel like plugging everything in and playing.

• Members

Cans at very high levels. Yes, I am an idiot. Surprisingly I have extremely good hearing still; we do a frequency sweep every few months at work and I can still hear anywhere from 18kHz to about 19.5kHz depending on my sinus' that day.

• Members

I usually play with my 15 watt blackheart cranked pushed by a fuzz or distortion box. If I play my 50 watters I keep the volume at noon or higher for the toanz. My 5150 was never played with the master below 5 on either channel. So yeah I can't hear much of anything till I'm done. Only time I'm quiet is at night with my ac4 and living alone in a house, it's not particularly quiet.

I practice how I want to sound in a band context, even though I haven't been in a band since 2003 :)

Archived