Electric guitar: How loud do you usually practice?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Usually raised voices to can't hear my own voice, but not enough to hurt my ears without protection (at least noticeably :lol:)
Haven't graduated yet, so live with my parents, my guitar stuff is in the basement

• Members

My main practice/jam rig is a Toneworks AX1000G feeding a Hundred Watt Solid State Yamaha 4x12 half stack on the floor, and a pair of Electar Tube 30's way up high overhead, far left and far right. Clean tones and tremolo/reverb are best served up by the half stack, {it has an accutronics reverb tank in it...} the distortion and delays buzz more nicely through the tube amps. Typically, The S.S. amp is on about 3 or 4 on the main gain setting, and the tube amps ride at about 5, because they are 10" 's for speakers and need a little more juice to make them bark...when I track, I move over to my double full stacks,
or I just go direct with a Toneworks AX3000G
as the main proccessor with a Toneworks AX300G in the effects loop...

Great responses and lots of votes - I really do appreciate it folks. Please keep 'em coming - the broader the demographic and the more input and votes I can get the better. :)

I'm sure some of you do "several" of the things on the list - playing unplugged while watching the TV, and with headphones and at whisper to shout levels, depending on the conditions in and around your home at the time, the time of day night, etc. etc. I probably should have allowed "more than one answer" per voter in the poll, but since I didn't, please just pick the one you tend to do the most often. :wave:

• Members

It depends. I practice a lot unplugged, with an acoustic, or a guitar plugged in at conversation level most of the time.

Other times, when I'm more exploring new sounds than actually practicing, I'll crank it up to around gig volume - sometimes more, depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. Which is anywhere from a cranked 12W amp to a cranked 50W amp, all non-master volume.

• Members

Conversational - I worked for many years with a guitarist who blew out my ears over the years from ridiculous levels on a Marshall half-stack. Granted, he was a great guitarist, but I'd really like to have my hearing back.

I'm happy to rehearse at comfortable volumes and avoid tinnitus for as long as possible.

• Members

Well you got five pages, but here's mine:

As loud as the situation allows.

Home alone? LOUD. Drown out drums loud. Maybe a touch softer if its late.

People home but not in the same room? Loud, but like loud radio loud, not nutty loud.

People in the same room? Slightly raised voice loud.

People watching tv in room? Barely audible or unplugged.

• Members

When I'm at home alone I still play at about conversation level. I'm pretty concerned about my hearing and have sensitive ears. I do what I can to preserve my hearing and that means avoiding anything that could give me ear fatigue.

• Members

I play {censored}ing loud as {censored} at all times. 100 watt dual recto mesa Tremoverb.

I used to run a two amp setup but I blew up my 50 watt combo stacking a klon into an eternity.

I love playing extremely loud, my DLS has really put me over the top. I used to have trouble with stuff rattling in the room, but the latest re-org has cured that thank god.

I'm scared to dime this amp it's already loud as {censored} and I'm nowhere near being dimed.

Having such a killer rig has improved my playing immensely, I used to get screamed at when I played. I've done a lot of wood shedding since those days and my rig is totally killer. Now every time I play I get compliments "you really sound good". The neighbors love listening to me play.

Playing extremely LOUD thru a 4x12 really trips me out, it's hard to describe really. Definitely Psychadelic, I use a lot of vibe, fuzz, OD, medusa chorus (always on) , phaser either mu tron biphase or infinity phase into aquapuss or skrecho.

It's really great now that I'm not getting screamed at, and people love my playing. Need to find a band to play with.

• Members

I do a lot of unplugged noodling, just because the guitar is there and I wanna play now.

When I 'practise', I play through my Macbook, usually as loud as possibly but its never at such a level where I'd have to raise my voice significantly to be heard over it.

Archived