Electric guitar: How loud do you usually practice?

I'm talking about when you're practicing alone, at home. Not when you're practicing with your band - that's technically not practice, it's rehearsal. ;)

I'm trying to determine how loud you typically play when messing around / practicing / noodling / etc. at home. I'm also interested in the type of rig you use for those "practice" sessions, so please describe that in a post...

Since most of you probably don't have a SPL meter and can't do accurate measurements, I'm going to use the human voice as a "reference". So when I say "whisper level" or "conversational level", I'm equating your volume level to the level of human speech.

If one of the poll options is somewhat close, please use that one. If it's not, please post and tell us about it. :wave:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ive got a music room at my house that used to be a garage, so its not connected to the house or any other building.

i play pretty loud in there, mainly because i always have a huge stereo system going on too, and playing with a 4x12 cab quiet sounds terrible.

i would say i do play with my amp about half way, so its well loud, but sound awesome !!!

• Members

I used to just practice with my electric unplugged but I would play too hard and would translate badly when I hooked it up to the amp. Now I have a small fender champ and I sit on the floor next to it band play at a little louder than I what I assume to be conversation level. Sometimes my wife disagrees with my assumptions.

• Members

I use these little guys to practice. I saw somewhere on the web once a volume description called "trumped level." I think that's about where that BadCat sits. Volume and master at noon. The MicroCube gets used late night or when my roommates baby is asleep. I just keep it at whisper volumes because at 3 in the morning, you can hear it pretty damn well.

PracticeAreaBoard.jpg

• Members

Laney 120w head into a 4x12... If I'm only playing for a short while in the day time I can get away with playing fairly loudly... I guess shouting volume. I'm mid terrace, but I know the neighbors well and they know that if I'm bothering them they can just knock on the door and I'll turn it down. But they are usually out during the day time anyway, in the evenings I either play loudly though headphones or turn it down to like TV volume.

• Members

I practice unplugged, into cans, and conversational level.

So I split the diff and voted cans although that's only to learn tunes/practice tunes I know.

Scales, exercises, etc. are usually done unplugged and writing music is done on an acoustic or low level electric where I can sing at an easy volume level.

Archived