Your definition of "Dad Rock"?

Fender&EHX4ever

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dad rock is just super generic simplified rock. When I worked in a bar I'd get a lot of bands like that. Typical power chord progressions that don't really make any kind of harmonic sense, shallow (or overly deep) lyrics crooned by a guy taking himself way too seriously, gaggle of wives standing in front of the stage with some cheap beer raised in the air.

It really has nothing to do with age... most dad rock bands I ran sound for were in their late 20's. Most people 40+ either have the chops to play good rock or are into other genres of music. I've never heard anyone on here play what I'd consider dad rock.

• Members

Dad rock is just super generic simplified rock. When I worked in a bar I'd get a
lot
of bands like that. Typical power chord progressions that don't really make any kind of harmonic sense, shallow (or overly deep) lyrics crooned by a guy taking himself way too seriously, gaggle of wives standing in front of the stage with some cheap beer raised in the air.

It really has nothing to do with age... most dad rock bands I ran sound for were in their late 20's. Most people 40+ either have the chops to play good rock or are into other genres of music. I've never heard anyone on here play what I'd consider dad rock.

That sounds like my memory of Phoenix Hell Tavern.

• Members

Is PHT that one that has like 4 different bars in it?

Yes. My old band first played there when i was 19. We'd have to do 3 sets of 60 minutes, and 1 set 45 minutes, on the F'in dot or we'd get docked. That sometimes meant extending the solo of "Comfortably Numb" well beyond any ability to enjoy it anymore just to fill the remaining minutes, and then stop abruptly when the club manager started approaching the stage. On our first night, i was standing with the drummer after 3 sets... he took a sip of Jaeger and fell over like a pine tree from exhaustion :lol:

• Members
Yes. My old band first played there when i was 19. We'd have to do 3 sets of 60 minutes, and 1 set 45 minutes, on the F'in dot or we'd get docked. That sometimes meant extending the solo of "Comfortably Numb" well beyond any ability to enjoy it anymore just to fill the remaining minutes, and then stop abruptly when the club manager started approaching the stage. On our first night, i was standing with the drummer after 3 sets... he took a sip of Jaeger and fell over like a pine tree from exhaustion
:lol:

Oh man, that place is awful. How long has it been since you've been there? The last time I went I couldn't wait to get out.

• Members
Oh man, that place is awful. How long has it been since you've been there? The last time I went I couldn't wait to get out.

Last time i was there was probably the last time my band played there... About 1993. We got sick of it, and switched over to Butchertown Pub. Despite my bitching, we have funny memories of Louisville :love:

• Members

Dad rock, as defined in my One Hot Minute thread (which I think is the reason for this thread) is when a band makes music that is more accessible to an older audience. Said audience might've not liked the band when the band was younger, but now that the band has "matured" and "slowed down", they like

IE: U2 and RHCP.

• Members
Last time i was there was probably the last time my band played there... About 1993. We got sick of it, and switched over to Butchertown Pub. Despite my bitching, we have funny memories of Louisville
:love:

Last time I was there was about 1.5 years ago or so. They had a live band club, a country dance club, a pop dance club, and I can't remember what the fourth might have been.

It was abysmal...but it was packed full of all kinds of people with smiles on their faces, so what do I know?

• Members
Last time I was there was about 1.5 years ago or so. They had a live band club, a country dance club, a pop dance club, and I can't remember what the fourth might have been.

It was abysmal...but it was packed full of all kinds of people with smiles on their faces, so what do I know?

If im ever in L'vlle again, i'll probably stop in for the mems, though im sure it's completely changed now. :wave:

• Members

its just music younger generations dont relate to at all. they see some old guy talking about an 'old' band, they dislike the style jeans hes wearing and maybe the color of socks hes wearing with his sandals so his music is guilty by association. as hard as it is to imagine hendrix, zep, and floyd are all included. :cry:

:)

• Members

Dad rock, as defined in my One Hot Minute thread (which I think is the reason for this thread) is when a band makes music that is more accessible to an older audience. Said audience might've not liked the band when the band was younger, but now that the band has "matured" and "slowed down", they like

IE: U2 and RHCP.

yup, this is how I understand it... that's why I said Soul Asylum, people I know use the phrase 'gone a bit dad rock' to mean a band that's calmed down... the 'dad' part relates to the band more than the listener... it's like... "the band has grown up and mellowed out now they are older (dads)" kinda thing. Green Day went a bit 'dad rock' around the 'Warning' album.

Archived