Your definition of "Dad Rock"?

Fender&EHX4ever

• Members

yup, this is how I understand it... that's why I said Soul Asylum, people I know use the phrase 'gone a bit dad rock' to mean a band that's calmed down... the 'dad' part relates to the band more than the listener... it's like... "the band has grown up and mellowed out now they are older (dads)" kinda thing. Green Day went a bit 'dad rock' around the 'Warning' album.

I guess that definition doesnt apply to me either because ive always liked mellow bands even when i was a not-so-mellow kid. But i get the point.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IMO, just about anything on a 'classic rock' radio station.

Not that I don't like some of it, but there are some that are.. you know.

Speaking of classic rock/hits stations, why do they all play so much Heart? They kind of suck. Crazy on You is pretty badass, but that's about it.

• Members

I think 'Dad rock' is specifically about music that dudes listened to in the 60's or 70's that absolutely has not stood the test of time and translated to a younger generation. For example a lot of "dads" like the Beatles, Bruce, Hendrix, but there's something about them that can translate well to new generations.

that said, I think that the band that personifies this 100% is Steely Dan. This is the ultimate Dad band, in that only Dads like it. Younger kids do not get Steely Dan: it's not loud, it's not fast, it's not flashy, it's not fun. It has a weird 70's stoner sophistication that nobody has gotten since, but goddamn if most baby boomer Dads don't freaking love getting out their old Steely Dan LP's and chilling out to it. I think they enjoy the fact that kids don't get it. Like, Dads will get pissed off if you don't get the Beatles, but Steely Dan is their snob music where they get to say "yea I wouldn't expect you to "get it".

TL;DR Steely Dad

Close second is Bob Seger.

• Members
Speaking of classic rock/hits stations, why do they all play so much Heart? They kind of suck. Crazy on You is pretty badass, but that's about it.

I don't like the stuff they play on the radio (what I'm guessing is their hits), but if you listen to something they don't usually play, some of it could be a female zeppelin :lol:

• Members

SO MUCH over-generalization in this thread. I'm 24 and love 99% of the bands in this thread. I also already have a 6 year daughter, so I'm a dad at my tender age. Lastly, my dad has kick ass taste in music. He plays guitar as well and got me started when I was 9.

• Members
I was listening to Steely Dan when i was 7. Geez, i guess i was a dad rocker way before my time.

I have no idea how old you are, but since everyone is all like "I have kids!" I'm going to guess you're just an old man trapped in a slightly not as old man's body.

Hahaha

Im almost 41, so Im just an old man period. But i love music from all eras, even the one we're in. And ive always felt like an old man at heart, even when i was young, because ive always been out of step. :idk:

• Members

Srsly... :facepalm:

_1LsnkRPcRE

It's the type of "dad rock" I grew up around at least... I don't get how people call Kings of Leon and Black Keys dad rock. It's just rock ain't it? How I define "dad rock" is some ol' prick (god bless his soul) sitting on his arm chair with a bottle of ouzo and yell about manly syllable lines with terrible falsetto. -shrug-

Dad rock = sh1t that your dad ACTUALLY listens to; not a derogatory view point of another persons music.

• Members

I can't consider most of the stuff here on this thread because it's stuff everyone listens to, not just Dads. Like so many 19 year old beret wearing creative writing major girls listen to Bob Dylan, and losers from every single generation listen to Coldplay.

I've also always noticed that everytime there's some kind of music for girls that are teenagers/young 20's, like Lady Ga Ga, that gets super popular there's so many 40-50 year old blue collar hick dads that get into it and have bad romance as their ring tone. Is Lady Ga Ga dad rock?

Is Avenged Sevenfold now dad rock because some 18 year old metalcore kid got his girlfriend pregnant?

• Members
Dad rock, as defined in my One Hot Minute thread (which I think is the reason for this thread) is when a band makes music that is more accessible to an older audience. Said audience might've not liked the band when the band was younger, but now that the band has "matured" and "slowed down", they like

IE: U2 and RHCP.

Heart is the most egregious example of this to date... compare 70's Heart to 80's Heart and you'll see. :cry:

My dad mostly listens to Northern Soul. Mostly covers done by obscure groups that didn't go anywhere because they pretty much sucked. It's really {censored}ing annoying when he's listening to that stuff, like, he thinks it's so cool because no one's heard of them... :rolleyes: such a jackass.

Archived