Your definition of "Dad Rock"?

Fender&EHX4ever

• Members

The term doesnt really mean anything to me because 1) my dad only really likes classical and folk, 2) I love all the music my mom raised me on - Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, John Denver, Mamas & Papas, etc.

But i get the point. If your dad in his heyday of youth used to listen to Bob Seger, and he wants you to appreciate how it is such better music than the latest KOL album you just bought, then Bob Seger qualifies as "dad rock".

So what did your parents try to pawn off on you?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's just an insult imo. Someone gets called a dad rocker to dismiss them as a person. Music doesn't stop being good or relevant just because it was made a long time ago. Great great great great great great great... etc. grandpa rock (see e.g. baroque music) is awesome, for example.

• Members

It's just an insult imo. Someone gets called a dad rocker to dismiss them as a person. Music doesn't stop being good or relevant just because it was made a long time ago. Great great great great great great great... etc. grandpa rock (see e.g. baroque music) is awesome, for example.

For sure. But its no different than what The Who were ranting about in '65. Old insults are old.

• Members

This x 1000. Dad Rock is the dumbest phrase used on this board. I imagine it's hard for most people to type, as their skull hoodie keeps falling over their eyes, which is already covered by their front swoop, in addition to holding their PBR with one hand.

Archived