Your definition of "Dad Rock"?

Fender&EHX4ever

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I think a lot of you guys are missing the point.

Dad-rock isn't literally what
your
dad listens to, its more of a definition of either bland rock or someone who is just out of touch but still thinks something is cool.

Which, I agree, is the intention of the term. However, anyone who chooses their music based on what is cool is the epitome of uncool. And likewise, anyone who doesn't listen to something only because it has become uncool is a complete tool :wave:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I was raised on Beatles, Stones, Dylan, CSNY, and all the rest of the '60s bands you'd expect. My dad is 71 and long after I moved out he got into Lou Reed, The Cramps, and Tom Petty. What bothers me is the non-rock stuff he likes; Buena Vista Social Club for instance.

• Members
I'm 31 and have a 10 yr old and a 2 wk old. Very much a dad. I try to pawn most late 80's and 90's music off on my daughters. Lots of Pink Floyd in there too. Tool, AIC, Smashing Pumpkins....I like = Dad rock.

Throw in some Zep and Sabbath, and that's me to a T. That, and I'm about to turn 39 :mad: and my daughter is almost 4.

Jesus -- I just realized when I'm 40 I'll be 10 times older than my daughter. :facepalm:

Oh, and my dad was 18-19 when Zep and Sabbath released their first albums.

He likes the Beatles and the Stones -- you know, Dad rock.

• Members

ThThrow in some Zep and Sabbath, and that's me to a T. That, and I'm about to turn 39
:mad:
and my daughter is almost 4.

Jesus -- I just realized when I'm 40 I'll be 10 times older than my daughter.
:facepalm:

Oh, and my dad was 18-19 when Zep and Sabbath released their first albums.

He likes the Beatles and the Stones -- you know, Dad rock.

Yeah, you might be 10 times your daughter's age, but that's something that people who have kids at 18 and 27 go through too, and you're much better prepared to be a good dad. Listen to what you want :thu:

(You'll be close to 60 when your daughter is ready to leave the nest :eek:)

• Members

My Mom (Mom Rock?) championed Frank Sinatra and Benny Goodman (w/o Charlie Christian :cry:).
As a dad, I am listening to Jimi, Beefheart, Stooges, Miles, Harvey Milk, dub reggae (Which I put on when we're having dinner as background music), etc - stuff I have been listening to since I was 15. My kids "hate" my music and prefer my wife's taste in music - Lady Gaga, Fugees, Macy Gray, etc. I'm hoping that someday they will see the light.

Archived