Your definition of "Dad Rock"?

Fender&EHX4ever

• Members

Oasis are the archetypal dad rock band in my eyes, although it's not a term I notice being used much these days. Probably because bands like that aren't popular anymore! The closest these days would probably be the Courteeners. Those groups usually romanticise the sixties and particularly the Rolling Stones, the Faces and the Beatles but I wouldn't think of any of those acts as dad rock.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think a lot of you guys are missing the point.

Dad-rock isn't literally what
your
dad listens to, its more of a definition of either bland rock or someone who is just out of touch but still thinks something is cool.

Yeah, its not just retro though. No-one has mentioned the gendered nature of the term either. The bands that get labeled dad rock usually are 100% male and regularly indulge in a bit of blokey macho posturing. Ie, Oasis. But yeah, it's used to describe bands that are perceived to be boorish and antiquated musically.

• Members

I don't define Dad Rock. I think it's a {censored}ing jerk-off term that guys who think they're cooler than you use to hate on music. To me it's sort of akin to fifteen year old kids calling each other "tryhards" on online FPS games because they're mad they got headshot.

Lame and sad.

Archived