Your definition of "Dad Rock"?

Fender&EHX4ever

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't particularly think that there's a style of music that's 'Dad Rock'. What I think of as 'Dad Rock' is rather like my definition of 'Smooth Jazz' - Anything that's bland and uninteresting and played similarly. In the case of 'Dad Rock', it's mainly rock covers played badly by past it old guys who can't accept that they aren't 21 anymore. :cop:

• Members

Shout at the devil?

I loved MC...

It w some show between Girls,Girls,Girls and Dr. Feelgood. Tommy Lee played his drum solo from a drum kit that raised and traveled around the roof of the stadium and I remember my Dad "complaining" to the guys in front of us for smoking mad weed.

I {censored}ing loved the Crue.

My pops has good taste in music for the most part. With exception for the Doors and the Who, who I loathe. It cool cause he never understood my hardcore music although he was cool with the fact that I could go to shows because I was / the shows were straightedge.

• Members

My dad doesn't listen to rock, not really ever his genre I guess so, I can't say. I'm a dad, and I listen to everything from the classic bands like Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, to more contemporary stuff like Mastodon and Deftones to The Black Keys.

I think the term "dad rock" is not aimed at any particular genre, rather it's a label to insult people who are older than you generally, who listen to stuff that maybe isn't the latest fad generally.

So I will continue to enjoy my Zeppelin and Pink Floyd for years to come, while you fap over Attack! Attack! for the next 5 minutes before you realize they suck, and there's some other fad to fap over.

Oh wait, we're all pretty much in agreement here that Attack Attack sux. Phew, close one :)

• Members
:eek:

The more you post, the less we have in common, SAL
:mad:

;)

They're not terrible, its just that he used to be the pusherman for those bands and I think its just one of those things where you want to do the opposite of what your folks do. Classic "rebellion".

I remember on rainy days he would help me with my paper route and he would blast various Who and Doors cassettes and I would just roll my eyes wondering if I could just pop in a Dead Milkmen or Turning Point cassette.

Also I have an 11 year old son. I rock and so does he... bisches

[YOUTUBE]fZa7hU6tP_s[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

When I was at school 'dad rock' was considered to be a genre involving people like Ocean Colour Scene, Cast and Paul Weller. It was essentially the more conservative side of Britpop.

My dad likes stuff like the Stooges and Sonic Youth. I like most of the music he listens to but he probably wouldn't have much interest in some of the things I favour.

• Members

"Dad Rock" is what you listen to after you mow the lawn on a June afternoon while enjoying the first of 3 total cool beverages on the front steps before you go inside, take a long shower, check email then lay down on the couch in front of the TV for a nap.

It includes whatever your soon to be wife allowed you to listen to in the car before you got married. It might be Frank Sinatra, Steely Dan, or that Crowded House cd that she liked.

(If she's cool, it'll be Tim by The Replacements ('cause of that song about stewardesses) or that Velvet Crush cd that you managed to sneak into rotation.)

Anyway - it all presumes a nap of some sort.

It's not a specific genre - it's a state of mind and a general (short term) sense of well-being. (Someone else wrote that...).

Archived