How do you feel about companies getting political in public?

Ryan.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not saying anything about Dano that they haven't admitted to publicly.

You make pedals, well maybe 'make' is too strong of a word - and I see you trash other builders on a regular basis. So let's quit pretending you have a moral high ground to stand on, 'kay?

ah now I get it, you guys want to be like me

• Members

No.

Then you have no real practical experience in the matter being discussed.

I come from a background of running a small family business in a very small town. People who worked in our store were also on the town council, planning/zoning commissons, were volunteer firemen, their family members were teachers in the community, etc. All politically active and proud of it. They felt like it was their duty since their activism directly affected the place they lived in. Was there a ruffling of feathers as a result that cost us business? No doubt. Did we care? Nope. Why? Because sometimes you just have to do what you feel is right. Was it the smart business move to allow employees to be politically active? I'd like to think so. If nothing else, it showed everybody in town that we gave a crap and were personally invested in seeing the town move forward.

So theres some stuff about business that a book isn't going to tell you is all I'm trying to say.

• Members

I come from a background of running a small family business in a very small town. People who worked in our store were also on the town council, planning/zoning commissons, were volunteer firemen, their family members were teachers in the community, etc. All politically active and proud of it. They felt like it was their duty since their activism directly affected the place they lived in. Was there a ruffling of feathers as a result that cost us business? No doubt. Did we care? Nope. Why? Because sometimes you just have to do what you feel is right. Was it the smart business move to allow employees to be politically active? I'd like to think so. If nothing else, it showed everybody in town that we gave a crap and were personally invested in seeing the town move forward.

So theres some stuff about business that a book isn't going to tell you is all I'm trying to say.

So basically what you're saying is that: because you worked in a small town business where everybody knew everybody, there are no consequences to watching what you say running an international business?

• Members

I don't actually like the dickswords match over who does what for a living... This includes some of erksins recent posts. My political commentary was meant in support of working people, whom I identify with personally and feel are my company's market. I had no idea that there were so many budding young billionaires here who object to such support. If any of you don't like my public support of issues that effects 98% of our society, that is your prerogative. I do not regret my open support for what I believe to be right.

• Members

At least you're willing to admit now that it is bad for business

• Members

I don't actually like the dickswords match over who does what for a living... This includes erksin's recent posts. My political commentary was meant in support of working people, whom I identify with personally and feel are my company's market. I had no idea that there were so many budding young billionaires here who object to such support. If any of you don't like my public support of issues that effects 98% of our society, that is your prerogative. I do not regret my open support for what I believe to be right.

I am not trying to say that I disagree with anything that you think is right. I identify with working people too. My whole argument is based on this: You get political publicly, you risk losing business. Why risk that when it can be avoided?

• Members

If I were a company, I would definitely shy away from things like that.

I would also maintain a very neutral, and generally friendly stance on public message boards as well. But, that's just me...

How have you guys taken this this far? :facepalm:

• Members

I am not trying to say that I disagree with anything that you think is right. I identify with working people too. My whole argument is based on this: You get political publicly, you risk losing business. Why risk that when it can be avoided?

I risk losing business when working people no longer have jobs and students such as yourself cannot find work when you graduate... Aside from being true to my personal constitution, I will be vocal when my customers are under attack. It is worth alienating myself from the outnumbered billionaires and their sycophants.

• Members

I risk losing business when working people no longer have jobs and students such as yourself cannot find work when you graduate... Aside from being true to my personal constitution, I will be vocal when my customers are under attack. It is worth alienating myself from the outnumbered billionaires and their sycophants.

Again, I can respect that. But do you really think that by voicing the way you feel THROUGH your business that you are going to change anything? It would be a great world if that were the case...but it's not. The only outcome in voicing how you feel about ANY issue, is that Catalinbread is going to alienate some people...thus, losing potential customers. That is the only thing that could possibly come from it.

• Members

Again, I can respect that. But do you really think that by voicing the way you feel THROUGH your business that you are going to change anything? It would be a great world if that were the case...but it's not. The only outcome in voicing how you feel about ANY issue, is that Catalinbread is going to alienate some people...thus, losing potential customers. That is the only thing that could possibly come from it.

Since when throughout the course of business have businesses NOT chosen whom will be their customers. I chose working people over billionaires and their apologists every day of the week. If they don't like that they can go buy a yacht instead. Clear now?

• Members

Since when throughout the course of business have businesses NOT chosen whom will be their customers.

Well, by not alienating potential customers to the point that they say, "I'm not giving those people my money". You close that door, and you know EXACTLY who your customers will be...and I guarantee you, the number will be less than before.

• Members

Since when throughout the course of business have businesses NOT chosen whom will be their customers. I chose working people over billionaires and their apologists every day of the week. If they don't like that they can go buy a yacht instead. Clear now?

Look, it's clear that this can go on forever. Why not just walk away? Why not just herd erksin back in and say, 'let it go, man'?

Archived