November New Gear Thread

aeon

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I use multiple compressors because different instruments have different requirements.

For example, I have a 35" scale length 5 string bass. The multiband compressor allows me to get a uniform tone quality from the low 5th B string and the normal E string. I have always dislike the fact that the low string on a5 string bass sounds muddy compared to the other strings. Also, with massive compression, string slapping is very controlled and uniform. This is somewhat of a trade off between dynamics and tone control.

Likewise, I have a different multiband compression profile for my VG-99 guitar system. I want to migrate this to my Marshall stack to help control the distorted verses clean guitar sounds for live applications. I now use four 4X12" Marshall cabinets. (Just because it looks so awesome.)

With the synths, the potential for massive low frequency output and volume variation tends to suggest to me that a multiband compresson on the synth will help integrate the synths into a live PA system and help me control the the signals sent to the sub woofers. I am running 3400W into dual 18" EAW subs. I have destroyed many items in my house from shaking the walls. I have always played synth either with one hand on the volume control, or with stereo volume pedals. I hope that the compression will help to normalize my synth patches into the live band mix.

Last night I found a few awesome bass synth patches on the A6. I can't wait to get home and lay down some bass tracks. Having the SRAM memory card is allowing me to draw from the factory patches and create my own custom programs and mixes.

Mark

• Members

I'm like, green with envy.

Congrats on your setup man, it sounds very very awesome!!! :thu:

By the way, a few years back I traded my Yamaha John Patitucci bass (top Yamaha bass) for a korean Conklin GT-7, not because I needed 7 strings, but primarily because the low B string sounded like a million times better, tighter, more defined, more punchy.

So don't assume that the compressor can fix it completely, you might check into the bass itself and if it's giving you what you want. The GT7 is 34" in scale and the low B is absolutely awesome.

• Members

The tone issue with the 5 string bass is also related to the 0.130" low B string compared to the 0.105" E string. As the string size changes, the upper harmonics get suppressed. I using a neck thru BC Rich with active electronics.

This is also evident with different gauge strings on the same guitar. With heavier strings like 0.012", the sound is deeper and muddier than with 0.010" gauge strings.

Strange how I think about bass guitar strings relative to the low/large string size. However, guitar strings are referenced to the high/small string size.

Mark

• Members

There's one on Ebay right now with the Orchestral ROM for 799 + 75 dollars to ship internationally. There's another one for 619 without the Orchestral ROM and the guys says it costs about 90 dollars to ship internationally.

When you get it, if you would, please let me know how the pianos compare to the KPR and Holy Grail pianos. :thu::wave:

• Members
in keeping with the current economy..
:cry:
my November purchase:

sk1.jpg

:facepalm:
(never knew it had Jacks on the back for input sampling)

now wondering if there are any musically useful DIY mods..

Yeah, got me a Casio too ! HT-700. Still debating whether or not to keep it. Fun little synth, though. Absolute MINT condition. No battery comparment corroision, etc. Like it's been sitting in limbo for 20 years. The "Alpha Dial" feels soooo smooth. All orignal docs (including the registeration card !) and a list of parameter settings someone printed off of what loks like an Apple IIe or something.

PB040002.jpg

• Members
I buy a MPC5000 and nobody gives a {censored}. DLP buys a reverb and he's the katz meow. Maybe I should go argue in the election thread for a while. Actually I had better things to do like build a box house for the daughters.

:love:

How'd I miss this? :freak: Congrats man, that's serious MPC-ness. One of these days I'd like to mess about with one and see what the fuss is about. Guess I'll have to settle for YouTube videos.

Guest Anonymous
How'd I miss this?
:freak:
Congrats man, that's serious MPC-ness. One of these days I'd like to mess about with one and see what the fuss is about. Guess I'll have to settle for YouTube videos.

Thanx pups.

I found a bug in the 5k which is a slight problem. I took the CF card out of my 2.5K, stuck it in the 5K and turned it on. The 5K found it and auto loaded the drum programs no prob. The thing is some of the sequences wrote on the 2.5k that use 16 Levels with the internal sounds play out of tune. Sure I can replay the parts but, what a pain. So I need to track out stuff written in the 2.5K before selling it.

GODDY

• Members
Yeah, got me a Casio too ! HT-700. Still debating whether or not to keep it. Fun little synth, though. Absolute MINT condition. No battery comparment corroision, etc. Like it's been sitting in limbo for 20 years. The "Alpha Dial" feels soooo smooth. All orignal docs (including the registeration card !) and a list of parameter settings someone printed off of what loks like an Apple IIe or something.

PB040002.jpg

Congrats! I like my HT-6000 (which is similar to 700) because it's just so different than all my other expensive synths. I think it's great for Synth-Gaze music.

Guest Anonymous

I really want to see a detailed comparison of all the "New Gen" MPC's (1000, 2500, 4000, 5000 ) both with the standard OS and the JJOS.

Why? The 1000, 2500, 5000 are a lot alike but, have more features added based on price The 4000 was designed and built by a different era of Akai. The 4000 also still has the most avanced sampler which does multi-sampling. Figure out your budget and jump.

Archived