November New Gear Thread

aeon

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They don't seem to be in a hurry with the rack version of this. I wonder why.

Tooling cost, new panel re-design as well as a new panel PCB and I imagine the Wave isn't selling very well at its current street price, especially with the US economy taking a dirt nap...

I got this one for an amazing deal, about $700 off street with full factory warranty.

• Members

I long worried about Clavia's future support too. But I use so many engineering tools that require XP still, I'll be here for a while.

I will have to start researching Parallels. I might get a MacPro for my next machine with massive drives and separate partitions for a few instances of XP. One for work, one for G2, etc.

Nord Modular G1 prices bottomed out, and are now on a bit of a rise. And they require a real legacy OS (technically).

• Members

(Re: Nord Wave)

I got this one for an amazing deal, about $700 off street with full factory warranty.

I'm extremely jealous. :)

Can you tell me where you got the great deal? (PM if you need to).

Also, after you get it, I'm curious to know if the synthesis part really does sound as good as the Lead 1 & 2. Reviewers have been saying yes, but I'm always looking for second and third opinions.

• Members

Tooling cost, new panel re-design as well as a new panel PCB and I imagine the Wave isn't selling very well at its current street price, especially with the US economy taking a dirt nap...

Panel and PCB? I thought that's why there was so much extra space on the panel of a Nord and Virus, the rack was nearly identical to the keys.

And if anything Dave Smith has shown us its possible for even the smallest of companies to make a variety of packages for similar products. PCB (especially when taken from a working design) can be fit to a new form factor and tested for very reasonable prices.

• Members

Interesting you bring up the Elektrons drool. I many similarities between the G2 and Machinedrum/Monomachine. The sequencer interface on the G2 is more intuitive than I expected. Its easy to page around and "play" the sequencer and edit the synth patch. The additional flexibility in synthesis methods is nice as well as the keybed. :thu:

• Members
Can you tell me where you got the great deal? (PM if you need to).

Open-box one-time deal from an online retailer.

Also, after you get it, I'm curious to know if the synthesis part really does sound as good as the Lead 1 & 2. Reviewers have been saying yes, but I'm always looking for second and third opinions.

I'll let you know. The fact that most reviewers said this sounded closer to the Lead 2 was a selling point for me. I never liked the overall timbre of the Nord Lead 3 (brittle and glassy) but loved the sound of the 2/2x...the part I didn't like was no aftertouch or patch naming. Fortunately the Wave has this covered, plus a few nice extras. :)

• Members
Interesting you bring up the Elektrons drool. I many similarities between the G2 and Machinedrum/Monomachine. The sequencer interface on the G2 is more intuitive than I expected. Its easy to page around and "play" the sequencer and edit the synth patch. The additional flexibility in synthesis methods is nice as well as the keybed.
:thu:

yeah - the sequencer is very intuitive, and very flexible.

• Members

I don't know, I think that Waldorf ruined their Nord Wave thingie...

With the Blofeld being able to play samples?

Maybe for some people. I'm not attracted to the Blofeld at all. There was a twinge of excitement when they announced the sample feature, but I then remembered the thing only has a handful of knobs on it and that really kills it for me.

I hope the Nord Wave continues to drop in price though.

• Members

The delay I can see, but you being of the modular persuasion, why the 8K?

the Nova Delay is for the Rhodes 54 (which i got last month or so, and need to put together a live rig for independent of my main rig so i can sit in with people and such), and the JP-8000 is just something i've always wanted. i have a feeling it's still a good synth, and just like the JP-6 didn't push the Juno-6 out of my rig i don't think this will displace anything.

i might park it permanently on the B3, actually. who knows? i just know that at this point in my life i can afford to keep more gear around, and i want as many options as possible.

i've got a Kawai K5000S on the way too, but i don't know when it will get here.

i had a short list of digital synths i want around because i feel they are the most unique and musical classic digital synths (Z1, JP-8000, K5kS, JIZZMO, MicroWave XT, and _maybe_ a NMG2 or Yamaha DX5) so it's nice to get over the halfway mark on that list. i also want to get to the point where i have to pick and choose which gear goes in the performance area and what is stuff to have around in case it's needed or people are over for collaborating.

this weekend i re-organised the way my gear is set up in the studio and i'll post pics. it should make more sense then.

• Members

I don't know, I think that Waldorf ruined their Nord Wave thingie...

Here is another deal at Musicianfriends Clearance:

NordWave

Sorry, I really can't agree. I'm a huge Waldorf supporter but I don't really like the Blofeld much at all. It has many of the same issues that bugged me about the Micro-Q, samples or no. Also, I think the Blofeld and Nord wave couldn't be more different - one is an unabashedly digital synth with PPG-style wavetable oscillators and samples and the other is a decent Analog-emulator with FM and Mellotron samples, not to mention a fantastic UI.

A single scratch and dent item at Musician's Fiend isn't a good indicator about the Nord Wave one way or another. The only drawback I see is it's price, especially in a down economy. Regardless, I hope it does well for Clavia.

I have always loved the Nord Leads (excepting the NL3) so the Wave is a big deal to me as it addresses all the issues I had with the 2X...and adds 180 megabytes of mellotron samples and easy 4-OP FM to the bargain. Frankly, I can't see a downside. :D

Archived