• Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm shooting for these two items this month:

Kenton Thru box

thru-5.jpg

Shure WH30XLR

Shure-WH30XLR.jpg.jpg

Or..... at least one of them. Probably the Kenton, but I still have a $50 gift certificate for Guitar Center my brother gave me, so maybe I'll get lucky and scrounge up some extra cash.

• Members

Fedex just delivered a 2MB SRAM card for my new Andromeda. The card has tested ok and I now have an additional six program banks and four mix banks.

http://www.amtron.com/sram/alesis.htm

Pretec S65002

2MB SRAM PC Card with 8KB attribute memory 5V

107.99 plus $11 shipping

The card sticks out the back about 1.5". I prefer the Roland V-Synth and Fantom design that only protrudes about 0.25".

Mark

• Members

I'm looking forward to receiving my Kenton Merge-4 on Tuesday. I'm going to use it to let the Machinedrum be the external clock/transport for the Monomachine, and also let a keyboard enter notes on the Mono.

Good idea. I'd like to know how it works out for you. I've heard good things about Kenton and this will be my first purchase of their wares.

I'm getting the Thru-5 for my MPC500 in live situations. I'm a little worried about daisy chain problems (lots of note data / program changes / sync):

MPC > Virus TI > Mopho > Eclipse

(Not too much gear to chain, but better safe than sorry when playing live.)

• Members

Being that last month for some strange reason blew the roof off this place, I don't expect much from others this month. But that's what I thought last month. I guess people are feeling then need to spend their money before they loose it in the market. I won't say I'm not going to purchase anything this month, because this thread is all about whim purchases anyway. :lol: Actually I do foresee something coming this month as I purchased last month. Will post later.

ALso Zebra 2.2 has my interest big time and being that it's only software, that's a big possibility. I'm waiting for Alchemy to come out though.

• Members

I'm shooting for these two items this month:

Kenton Thru box

thru-5.jpg

Shure WH30XLR

Shure-WH30XLR.jpg.jpg

Or..... at least one of them. Probably the Kenton, but I still have a $50 gift certificate for Guitar Center my brother gave me, so maybe I'll get lucky and scrounge up some extra cash.

Just got one of these yesterday ...

245803pt3.jpg

Sound quality is excellent ... feels pretty good on the head ... look is ... um ... OK ... Not sure that any headset mic is going to look too good on me in my mind (always feel like a call center worker ... )

But for what I do out live ... It's absolutely essential ... Let us know if you get one how it works out ...

Any idea how adjustable the boom is on the Shure? The Crown model I bought is pretty good that way ... I like to keep the mic quite a bit to the side of my face to avoid being distracted ... but it still picks up the sound and isolates the rest very well ...

• Members

You bought a TX81Z and you have FM8!?

Yup. All my softies are on an ancient 1U Dell server that takes about 5 minutes to boot. (It's actually pretty powerful, just slow to boot and LOUD) Also , I have to make sure my KVM switch is set properly, make sure the WaMi is turned on, gotta fire up the PIII first so I can load MOTUs console to re-route MIDI ports if needed, etc, etc, it's just a PITA.

With the TX, I turn it on, plug in a MIDI cable, and play....There's also something more gratifying about hardware. Something physical that I can touch.

Besides, the TX will eventually be mounted in my gig rack. Can't haul the softies and all the stuff needed to run the around with me.

Lastly, it was $34.00.... couldn't pass it up.

• Members

Sound quality is excellent ... feels pretty good on the head ... look is ... um ... OK ... Not sure that any headset mic is going to look too good on me in my mind (always feel like a call center worker ... )

But for what I do out live ... It's absolutely essential ... Let us know if you get one how it works out ...

Any idea how adjustable the boom is on the Shure? The Crown model I bought is pretty good that way ... I like to keep the mic quite a bit to the side of my face to avoid being distracted ... but it still picks up the sound and isolates the rest very well ...

I'm not sure how adjustable the boom on the Shure is, but reading about the "customized fitting" procedure with Crown's headset kind of had me looking at other alternatives.

I've heard the CM311A sounds above average for a headset in that price range. I've read several positive user comments on how it's performance surpassed some handheld mics that were a bit more expensive. I've been seriously considering it but was trying to keep my purchase price under $150. Unfortunately I'm also trying to buy it from Guitar Center :rolleyes: because my Bro gave me a $50 gift card and there's nothing else on my major purchase radar for awhile.

They want $250 for the CM311A!!! Thus rendering the $50 gift card useless when everyone else sells it for $200. :mad:

The Shure WH30XLR looks promising at $180 ($130 with the card). Seems to have comparable performance to the Crown model, good sound and great at keeping feedback out. Also, the Croakies headset looks more comfortable than the CM311A's.... maybe?

I'm usually banging on the MPC and playing synths/tweakin etc. so a headset seams ideal to me for performing. It also means I don't need to haul around a boom stand.

• Members

I've gone through my annual uninspired period, which is nice, I suppose, in that the gear lust is also uninspired. Things seem to be working up to their usual frenzy, though, and some trades and some cash should be making this a busy month. The theme this month seems to be to get back some gear that previous gear lust has occasioned me to trade or sell prematurely or just outright stupidly:

1. Production p3 with memory expansion - somehow I convinced myself that I could wait for the p4, and that my Octopus would take care of my 'sequencing needs'. Nah - the Octopus is king, but the p3 goes so far beyond any other hardware sequencer in algorithmic irresponsibility that I need one. My old one was pre-production ugly. This one is beautiful.

2. Cwejman s1m2 - I just simply love these. I traded mine for a case of Modcan - which was a good thing at the time, but I've really missed this. There is a detail to the sound of the Cwejman that brings tears to my balls. (that's 'tears', not 'tears')

3. Andromeda - If Don Solaris can have one, so can I. I loved its flexibility when I had it, but I didn't like the UI. I'm hoping that I gave up on it too early. In any case, I need a midi, polyphonic synth, and I hate the looks of the Andromeda. It's good for discipline to own ugly synths.

4. ksp8 - what the hell. I got a good deal on one.

• Members

Yup. All my softies are on an ancient 1U Dell server that takes about 5 minutes to boot. (It's actually pretty powerful, just slow to boot and LOUD) Also , I have to make sure my KVM switch is set properly, make sure the WaMi is turned on, gotta fire up the PIII first so I can load MOTUs console to re-route MIDI ports if needed, etc, etc, it's just a PITA.

With the TX, I turn it on, plug in a MIDI cable, and play....There's also something more gratifying about hardware. Something physical that I can touch.

Besides, the TX will eventually be mounted in my gig rack. Can't haul the softies and all the stuff needed to run the around with me.

Lastly, it was $34.00.... couldn't pass it up.

So it just came down to lust and avoid fixing the real problem. :facepalm:

• Members

Use a bit crusher and/or a compressor.
:confused::facepalm:

That doesn't capture it at all. The 4-op sound is its own sound due to the way things are scaled within the engine. Post-processing can't make 6-op respond like a 4-op engine.

cheers,

Ian

Archived