November New Gear Thread

aeon

• Members
Different level scaling between 4 op and 6 op is a measurable phenomenon (e.g. fact) so there's nothing to agree/disagree with
;)
. Even with a crusher between each operator it wouldn't be the same.

Plus the output noise adds charm.

I will never agree here and FM8 has a noise generator. :idea:

Having FM8 and then going back to buy any FM product will not make sense to me, but it's your money and your free to spend it as you wish.
:facepalm:

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yo P!!!

Now this is a serious f**ing answer.

One question. How do your work around the 8 track limit? Will you use the Octopus in conjunction with the P3? This is one thing I like about MPC's. The ability to keep a 20-25 track sequence inside one box while controlling numerous synths. It seems like a trade off between these two methods. More direct access compared to track count.

For me, the 8-track limit is no problem. The P3 is one of the sequencing tools I have and often used in conjunction with other tools. With a MOTU midi timepiece, its pretty easy to reconfigure your setup to get whatever you want controlling any bit of gear.

My most common setup is MV8800 masterclock +/- some other synths, Monomachine sequences 3 synths, G2 sequences itself or sometimes from the P3, P3 sequences everything else. etc etc.

• Members

I'll give you the lust part. I have GAS.

But, fixing the problem ? My stuff is alrerady rack mounted and hard wired into my home studio. The workflow is as simple as it's gonna get at it's previous state. The only options I have are

1. Purchase a new DAW. (Probably at least $500 if I use my 4U chassis, not to mention re-installing everything)

2. Purchase a MUSE Receptor ($2K, easy)

This might change if the V-Machine ever gets shipped. And that's STILL a $600 option.

Compared to $34.00, I'll take the TX.

I thought the problem was simply the retooling of your computer or replacing it with a good laptop $750. Reload all the softsynths to the laptop and use them all live but if you still don't trust computers for that sort of thing, then I understand.

• Members
I thought the problem was simply the retooling of your computer or replacing it with a good laptop $750. Reload all the softsynths to the laptop and use them all live but if you still don't trust computers for that sort of thing, then I understand.

The problem is I'm cheap ! ;)

That's a lot of dough, and I'm still not to keen with SW interfaces. Don't get me wrong, I've used a laptop with a M-Audio Mobile Pre and B4 controlled by a Raduim before, and was very impressed with the sound.

I'll have to do something one of these days. I've got about $600 in soft synths just sitting there, not used....

• Members

Yo P!!!

Now this is a serious f**ing answer.

One question. How do your work around the 8 track limit? Will you use the Octopus in conjunction with the P3? This is one thing I like about MPC's. The ability to keep a 20-25 track sequence inside one box while controlling numerous synths. It seems like a trade off between these two methods. More direct access compared to track count.

Well, I have multiple sequencers - so I don't run into an 8 track limit. But there are some people who have multiple p3s....Paul Nagle, for instance of SOS fame, has 3 of them at last count.

• Members

g2.jpg

Thanks to bax.
:thu:

As if I have time for this beast.
:facepalm:

Initial impression is wow, I should have gotten one years ago. The interface is very well laid out considering there are only 8 actual encoders. I didn't quite figure out the sequencer pages yet. Hopefully I'll be able to ramble about this more as I spend time with it. Its smaller than I expected.

Enjoy it, sir - considering what it can do, yeah it is a little on the smallish side. But remember - big things come in little packages! :thu:

Thanks!

bax

• Members

To be fair, I made that resolution after listing the XS6 for sale...

I believe I have pretty decent willpower. It's just that I'm starting to think that I have perhaps an ounce or two of insanity. But, in a good way.

p.s. Is it, like, Nord day? There are at least three Nord posts in this thread already!

Guest Anonymous

droolmaster0 & drxcm

I can see the P3 being a blast to use and would like something to program TB-303 type sequences. I think I'll wait and see what FR releases first since a XS is on my want list. For now I will use my MPC5000 or 3000 and a MC-909 or 808 synced with them. The MV-8800 is another box that would be cool to have but, might be overkill with what I already have.

Another thought.

I have a DrumStation, D-Station, JazBase and would like to get a AirBase and SDS1000. If I got a P3 it could be dedicated mainly to sequencing these drum modules and eliminate the need to use sampled drums from a MPC or MC. I really want to slow down on using sampled drums and start recording straight out of a drum module. Sure I will still use sampled drums but, it's nice to have options.

:thu:

GODDY

• Members

^^

The P3 is AWESOME for drum sequencing.. Different track lengths, different track directions, different track timebases. All of these generate great polyrhythms.

Not to mention that you can set probability for each step (ie step 16 will only play 21% of the time for a snare fill for example). You can also randomise velocity / gate length etc on a per step basis. This is just the beginning. It is just my favourite sequencer ever.

I gotta say though, the OS is a bit cryptic. It takes a while to get used to it, but once you are used to it, it can be an incredibly fast tool.

It can also sequence 4 note polyphony if you like.

• Members
droolmaster0 & drxcm

I can see the P3 being a blast to use and would like something to program TB-303 type sequences. I think I'll wait and see what FR releases first since a XS is on my want list. For now I will use my MPC5000 or 3000 and a MC-909 or 808 synced with them. The MV-8800 is another box that would be cool to have but, might be overkill with what I already have.

Waiting to see what they release myself. I'm banking it's a new sequencer with CV, which should compliment the XS nicely. I can only think of the possibilities :love:

• Members

^^

The P3 is AWESOME for drum sequencing.. Different track lengths, different track directions, different track timebases. All of these generate great polyrhythms.

Not to mention that you can set probability for each step (ie step 16 will only play 21% of the time for a snare fill for example). You can also randomise velocity / gate length etc on a per step basis. This is just the beginning. It is just my favourite sequencer ever.

I gotta say though, the OS is a bit cryptic. It takes a while to get used to it, but once you are used to it, it can be an incredibly fast tool.

It can also sequence 4 note polyphony if you like.

I can't wait to get the p3 again. Not only can you set probabilities that events will occur, but you can set those probabilities on one track at one length/timebase to control any event on another track - not only note events. Absolutely disgusting what you can do with this thing.

It's funny, but I view the OS as rather straightforward - once you get how the aux events works, it all follows from there. Of course, I will have forgotten a lot, and I'll probably retract this statement.

• Members
To be fair, I made that resolution
after
listing the XS6 for sale...

I believe I have pretty decent willpower. It's just that I'm starting to think that I have perhaps an ounce or two of insanity. But, in a good way.

p.s. Is it, like, Nord day? There are at least three Nord posts in this thread already!

PC3X and other gear in your studio will be on the chopping block before end of year. You'll never be satisfied. :cop:

:D

:wave:

• Members

I can't wait to get the p3 again. Not only can you set probabilities that events will occur, but you can set those probabilities on one track at one length/timebase to control any event on another track - not only note events. Absolutely disgusting what you can do with this thing.

It's funny, but I view the OS as rather straightforward - once you get how the aux events works, it all follows from there. Of course, I will have forgotten a lot, and I'll probably retract this statement.

I agree its not too difficult, but it certainly isn't immediately intuitive - you couldn't use it without a manual.. I still regularly consult mine

• Members
YAMAHA+PIANO+P85.JPG
Just replaced the Yamaha MO8 with this. man what a difference! While the MO8 has about 10,000 extra functions, I found the keyboard very stiff and the piano sounds were a joke. for the price of the MO8 I could get the P-85 and a laptop, which I did///:cool:
It's got a very responsive keyboard and great piano (and Rhodes) sounds

• Members
Weeeeeee for polyrhythms. I was experimenting with such patches on my G2 earlier, I think its the first synth/sequencer I've owned that I can make sequences with different lengths!
:D

yeah - I just wonder why Elektron didn't think that this capability was important. And even if all of your actual note lines are the same length, it's great to be able to modulate various control parameters with different length/differently timed sequences.

I've often entertained the notion of getting a g2 again - the sequencer on it is really great. But I'm just nervous that I'll buy one, and Elektron will stop supporting it as of the next Mac OS or something.

• Members

I agree its not too difficult, but it certainly isn't immediately intuitive - you couldn't use it without a manual.. I still regularly consult mine

Sure - agree 100% with that. And even once you get the logic flow, it's easy to forget stuff. There are just so many options.

But, because of the abstract nature of the Octopus feature set, for instance - I find that it's much easier for me to forget how to do stuff and require a manual consult. I guess my memory just works better with the more linear logic of the p3. This is not expressing a preference for one or the other - the Octopus is a truly original piece of work, and goes in directions that no other step sequencer does.

• Members

That's what keeps me from getting a G2, too, at least at current prices. If they do end support, I suspect their values will plummet.

I've almost broken down and bought the engine a number of times. The problem is that it's hardware that relies on the computer OS - if it were just software, you could probably count on continued support for years. I'm not using software synths these days, but I think that purchasers of, say Zebra, can count on support for years to come. But I'll bet that Clavia will just drop the whole thing when they decide to stop selling the hardware. What they really should do (just thinking out loud) is continue to support the software, but charge for upgrades maybe.

Archived