November New Gear Thread

aeon

• Members

Does anybody think SH-101 when looking at that synth ... ???

I try not to think. But besides the look I find the silver background with silver knobs a little confusing. I was playing with the idea to do a totally new layout with all the shift (actually cancel) functions since the layout is a two part metal sheet only. However, I do not have the time to even do the layout of the new panel and I know most of the functions by heart.

Anyway, I think Roland wanted to create a look that somewhat resembles the TB-303 and the older SH-5/7 line. The colors are definetely 70s and the silver with silver knobs are from the 303 line (as is the detail of the knobs). Anyway, too many colors for my taste and the wrongs ones too.

One of the amazing things about the SH-201 is the housing. Besides the light weight it doesn't flex, even when sitting on the outer edges of the case only. That is a great design. Yes, we are used to metal but I have to admit that my MacBook is plastic too and it holds up very well.

There are a couple of things that I would have liked to see changed, but I doubt that Roland doesn't do much in that department. There is no copy function between upper and lower, there is compare, and the almost closed filter lets the signal distort (maybe that is an artifact when fixing the clicking envelopes from the JP-8k).

Anyway, I bought mine in July and got another used one in October. Since then I have done many sounds and barely touched my other synths. This synth is very rewarding and once you get a hold of the shift features, it has a great amount of detail that is not that obvious in the first place. The SuperSaw is a great, rich waveform that can be the basis for beautiful choir/string/pad sounds, as all waveforms are much richer in sound than the one in the Virus. I haven't done much with the feedback oscillator, mainly some strange sounds in combination with the Ring or Sync. The effects are classy Boss quality and add lots of space to the sound.

I guess I got carried away...Congratulations FE!

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe a setup with a MKS-50 for faster envelope sounds + JX-3P for pads and basses would be an ideal pairing?

Just so happens, I have both sitting in my bedroom/studio/warehouse/workshop/library right now.

I haven't spent much time with the JX-3P, but the few hours I do have on it have been impressive. The preset patches are good, and the strings are to die for. The chorus is typical Roland. That is, nice. But a little noisy.

• Members

I don't understand why the JX-3P gets a rap by some as being inferior sounding compared to the 106.

Because people don't know how to program synths. And JX-3P sounds fantastic. It is not a poor man's Jupiter 8. There is no poor man's Jupiter 8 due to discrete nature of that synth. Maybe JP-4 but according to users these two again sound different.

• Members
My crystal ball is saying:

- a Korg Trident will now appear but you will miss it by the amount you gave for SH-201, thus won't be able to buy it.

Flat Earth always can move back home and buy half a dozen analog classics over the next 6 months!!! :lol:

• Members

My crystal ball is saying:

- a Korg Trident will now appear but you will miss it by the amount you gave for SH-201, thus won't be able to buy it.

lol :lol:, knowing my luck lately, it wouldnt suprise me one bit.

Back to the SH-201. Dont really know how, but i seem to like its sound alot better than the JP8000 (that i really didnt like) which is kinda odd as they are supposed to be very similar. The basic sequencer on this thing is a superb and very easy to use feature. The supersaw arps are very virus like. Only down points are the stupid amount of memory locations and the overall weight of the thing. Light as a feather. (but actually quite solidly constructed for a low end synth).

Considering te very low price i paid, im happy with it for now.

• Members

nope, they are up there (and they scare me). I used IKEA observator mounts for TVs. When my builder said "media room" I don't think he had this in mind!

Shag? lol, my purchasing "department" would never allow it.

cheers
ripe

• Members
Just moved into a new studio space, picture is overexposed...

Very nice indeed! :love:

Two questions though:

1) Are the walls pink?

2) What does the switch between the BIG monitors do? Did you flip it a whole bunch with no effect then, a week later, get a letter from Stockholm saying "Cut that out!"?

:)

Archived