November New Gear Thread

aeon

• Members

The DS-10 arrived yesterday and I had a chance to play with it on the train this morning. It won't make anyone forget analog synths, but it's wonderfully deep and has some pretty surprising features (love the Kaosspad+Kaoscillator functionality!). It's no toy. Kudos to Korg for making this.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Woohoooooo my first ebargain!!!

fireworx.jpg
Even with the aussie dollar currently bent over a barrel(July $.98 USD = $1AUD/ Now $.64USD = $1AUD, great time for holidays down under folks) I manage to pick up one of these babies for just over $500 US, translating roughly to $750 australian.

These things are still selling stateside for $1400 new, which is pretty expensive as is, but get this- They sell brand new in Oz for FIVE THOUSAND FREAKING DOLLARIDOOS!!!?!!! Thusly, I be well stoked with my latest aqquisition. This thing even gives me (possibly sucky) AD conversion as part of the deal! Ain't waiting for NYE for fireworks around these parts:p

Wow, that's a great bargain!

-D

• Members

Yes, and please include JX3P in that comparison as well.

JX-3P is a 'sort of' two oscillator Juno 60, minus hardware envelope, thus not for fast punchy sequences. With Juno 60 and Jupiter 8 it shares the same IR3109 filter and BA622 VCAs. I love mine endlessly. Does it sound good or bad, you be the judge:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?p=27132058#post27132058 (my sounds)

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?p=28294449#post28294449 (presets played by Yoozer)

:wave:

• Members

Thanks a lot for that Don, once I saw that you said it shared the filter with the JP-8/Juno 60, I've been tracking them and I've seen them going for cheap on Ebay (with the programmer even!). I stopped looking at JX8P/JX10 and started looking at JX-3P. The programmer seems awfully simple though, esp. compared to a PG800. But I assume it has all the basic functions for my kind of sound, which is rock and not electronica.

• Members

Matrix is nice synth, with a very RAW sound once you open the filter, will cut thru the mix way too easy.

Mh. Since I really like the soft string/brass character of both the JXes, I'll probably better see if there's a noiseless Obie Matrix 1000 somewhere. I mean, it's editable so no need for the VFD and membrane buttons.

I also completely forgot about that JX3P demo :D

• Members

JX-3P is a 'sort of' two oscillator Juno 60, minus hardware envelope, thus not for fast punchy sequences. With Juno 60 and Jupiter 8 it shares the same IR3109 filter and BA622 VCAs. I love mine endlessly. Does it sound good or bad, you be the judge:

Just to clarify, the JX-3P has discreet VCAs... only a BA622B for the noise circuit and another for I think the HPF (?). Can't remember, and the schematics are fuzzy...

cheers
ripe

• Members

Just to clarify, the JX-3P has discreet VCAs... only a BA622B for the noise circuit and another for I think the HPF (?). Can't remember, and the schematics are fuzzy...

Nice info! What about that JX-3P vs. MKS-30 story? I've heard some rumors that they use different voice chips and sound different (that MKS uses those from Juno 106). But then another guy said they are exactly the same inside out. From another source i've heard they have different revisions of filter chips where MKS has more resonance power.

• Members

Again, more hearsay on my part: The individual parts in the 80017 module are not at fault for their deaths, but rather due to failure (metal migration?) on the module circuit board. The individual components are evidently as reliable as any other. This would explain why we don't see a plethora of voice-dead JX3P's around like we do the 106's.

• Members

It's a shame that the MKS-30 is as unreliable as the Juno 106, as the MKS-30 is actually a JX-3P with much better midi implementation.

On the other hand, if they're using pretty much the same components for the voices and the JX-3P has the Jupiter-8 filters, I don't understand why the JX-3P gets a rap by some as being inferior sounding compared to the 106. Does its chorus suck? To me it sounds more like a poor man's Jupiter-8 rather than an entry-level analog as many picture it. Or am I missing something?

Also, I was listening to MKS-50/Alpha Juno demos and I'm very impressed :love:

Maybe a setup with a MKS-50 for faster envelope sounds + JX-3P for pads and basses would be an ideal pairing? I was thinking JX10 + DW8000 for that very same reason, but now I'm going to have to keep doing more research before I decide :)

Plus, and I haven't had any serious offers on the Fantom yet...

• Members
Flat earth, Why did you buy an SH-201 this evening?

I have absolutley no idea
:cop:

Whatever the reason, enjoy your new toy!

Please don't consider this a bag on your happy toy time, but I agree about the '80s boombox look. It's... busy. It's like someone tossed all the controls in a box, shook it around and then dumped it on the panel. There's no cohesiveness to it.

"hey mister, your baby's ugly...!" :poke:

• Members

I wonder why they didn't give it a Juno graphics scheme and call it a Juno-10 ... ??? I think it would have sold MUCH better ...

Does anybody think SH-101 when looking at that synth ... ???

(Although I guess there could be some confusion with the other Juno models ... which, of course, are the ones that don't really fit into the Juno historical context ... Maybe they should have called those the Roland Geist ... )

Guest Anonymous
I wonder if Roland would sell more of those if they didn't look like 1980s boomboxes?

They would actually sell better if it had more presets.

:badump:

:facepalm:

Archived