what college / university (FFFFFFF brit folks) did you guyz attend?

amarr1

• Members

Well I'm going firstly because my grades aren't spectacular and secondly because I want to get out of college with as little debt as possible.

I went to community college for a year and a half. Best decision I ever made. It was actually more challenging and a better education than the uppity private university I finished from. It is also the reason I graduated with zero debt. There is a huge stigma that CC is going to be a hindrance later in life, or is an inferior education (several of my friends were telling me that after we finished high school). Now, they all have jobs they hate and I am going for a Ph.D. in something I love. Plus, my stipend isn't that far off of what they make.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hopefully studying Medicine at King's College London next year, subject to me getting the entry requirements.

The amount of debt I'm gonna accumulate over those five (possibly six) years makes me cry a little.

• Members

I went to community college for a year and a half. Best decision I ever made. It was actually more challenging and a better education than the uppity private university I finished from. It is also the reason I graduated with zero debt. There is a huge stigma that CC is going to be a hindrance later in life, or is an inferior education (several of my friends were telling me that after we finished high school). Now, they all have jobs they hate and I am going for a Ph.D. in something I love. Plus, my stipend isn't
that
far off of what they make.

I took a class at a community college to brush up on my math before I went back to my university - no reason not to go to a CC if the circumstances are right!

• Members
Hopefully studying Medicine at King's College London next year, subject to me getting the entry requirements.

The amount of debt I'm gonna accumulate over those five (possibly six) years makes me cry a little.

The yanks are talking about maybe 3-5x what you've got and theirs is COMMERCIAL: plus you will be earning lots as soon as you finish.

Deal With It. ;)

• Members

Binghamton University, NY. BA in Political Science
IUPUI (Indiana U, Purdue U in Indianapolis) MPA - Public Affairs, Nonprofit Management

Work at Cornell University as a Gift Planning Officer, so at least my MPA degree is doing something for me, but I hate the students loans I'm still paying back.

• Members

Going to Tallahassee Community College this fall; I got into Florida State, University of Florida, and some out of state places like UNC and LSU, but I don't have the money and want to remain loan free for as long as possible. Hopefully I'm only going to be at TCC for 2-3 semesters thanks to my AP credits and upcoming CLEP exams, then I'll head into FSU for a bachelor's in Social Psychology. As for my graduate program, I may stay at FSU or move around, we'll see how much money I've got. I plan on getting my PhD and working in I/O psych, but if I hate that I'll fall back to teaching/professorship.

• Members

Depends on what you're going to grad school for. I'm lucky enough to have no debt from undergrad, and the PhD program I'm going for waives my tuition for up to 6 years, plus they're giving me a $20,000 a year fellowship. I've been very fortunate, somehow.

• Members

graduate of NEW COLLEGE in Sarasota -- the honors university of the state of FLorida.

also rated as the "Reefer MAdness College of the SOuth" by Rolling Stone Magazine
:)

wow, you went to New College!

haha I have been to a few of their "graduations"

more drugs and alcohol than any music event I have ever been to.

as for me:

miami.jpg

• Members

Depends on what you're going to grad school for. I'm lucky enough to have no debt from undergrad, and the PhD program I'm going for waives my tuition for up to 6 years, plus they're giving me a $20,000 a year fellowship. I've been very fortunate, somehow.

Im looking to work in government somehow whether its urban planning, FBI, etc. I was looking at law school but it really is not for me. Hopefully there is something like your fellowship available, good luck man.

• Members

I went to community college for a year and a half. Best decision I ever made. It was actually more challenging and a better education than the uppity private university I finished from. It is also the reason I graduated with zero debt. There is a huge stigma that CC is going to be a hindrance later in life, or is an inferior education (several of my friends were telling me that after we finished high school). Now, they all have jobs they hate and I am going for a Ph.D. in something I love. Plus, my stipend isn't
that
far off of what they make.

I have an Associates of Arts in English from a local community college that I started at while I was finishing up my high school work. In some ways it was great, but in others it was an absolute waste. It was great in that I finished a smaller degree that allowed me to not have to take some courses at my University now, and in that classes were way cheaper. That said, the classes were much less difficult or challenging, in fact even less so than some of my high school work. I definitely somewhat understand the questioning of the value of community colleges, but there are clearly exceptions.

That said, I'm 12 hours shy of a B.A. in English from the University of Texas at Arlington, and will likely have nothing in my field available without continuing to graduate school, and even then the market is so poor I'm not guaranteed anything.

• Members

Had a creative career path most of my life- graduated high school in 1988 :eek: and finally took some business classes in the early 90's when my company would pay for it at Columbus State Community College - followed my muse awhile, got a scholarship in the mid 90's after a two year stint in a program that uses the arts to teach non-violent conflict resolution and gang/drug prevention in the inner city, but didn't use it. Got a job at a video production company instead - found myself unemployed at 31 years old in 2001 and moved to Washington DC. Applied to every college I could, got accepted at AMERICAN UNIVERSITY and used my scholarship to get a year in there :) Then ran out of money and came back to Columbus, finished my degree in Interactive Communication Processes at The Ohio State University over the next couple of years. Graduated college in 2005 at 35 years of age...:facepalm:

• Members

National Centre for Computer Animation @ Bournemouth University
Ba in "Computer Animation and Visualisation"

Most of my class mates ended up working on cool films like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Avatar etc.

I ended up in a grim basement in a military compound in a rather unpleasant country in the Middle East...

Sometimes I say to myself "How the F**k did I end up here?"

Archived