what college / university (FFFFFFF brit folks) did you guyz attend?

amarr1

• Members

I graduated with honors from Alfred University with a double major in political science and sociology, minor in social science statistics. Then I couldn't get a job, so I enlisted in the Navy. I enlisted under a special warfare contract to be a diver, but had health problems and ended up as a hospital corpsman, which is basically the Navy/USMC version of a medic. I found that I really love the medical field, which was a pleasant surprise. I applied for special warfare again, but got tangled in the bureaucracy and am probably just going to get out next year and take a shot at medical school.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm actually applying to post-bachelors pre-med programs at UPenn, Columbia, UVA and Goucher. They're intensive one year programs with no breaks for winter/summer session that cover 2 semesters each of Bio/Chem/OChem/Physics/A&P. The medical experience I have in spades: 2 years in an ER, 1 year in a FP setting, some field medical care, current BLS/ACLS/PALS/EMT-B. I have 3 ER MDs writing my recommendations, I figure with my military background I should at very least get into USUHS.

EDIT: Plus with my GI Bill, if I don't get in I can still afford to do a year of special masters program without too much stress over the monays.

• Members

I'm majoring in electrical engineering at the University of British Columbia. I just finished my third year and school, while fun, has become very tedious and exhausting. I just need to stay positive because I should be done soon enough.

• Members

Finishing my English Language degree at Cardiff University a week tomorrow then onto a Magazine Journalism Diploma in September, also at Cardiff. It's pretty much an intensive 9-5 course but gets you a job at the end of it so seems worthwhile.

• Members

At the University of Tennessee, majoring in English Literature and minoring in Secondary Education.

I just finished my freshman year. The plan is either to get my masters and teach AP/Dual classes in high school, or to go to law school. It's good to have options.

• Members

Uni of Surrey, Roehampton - Philosophy and Theology (blorl).

Uni of Bradford - Conflict Resolution (uber blorl).

Graduated a few years ago and now i'm an ironmonger. Academia works.

• Members

Uni of Surrey, Roehampton - Philosophy and Theology (blorl).

Uni of Bradford - Conflict Resolution (uber blorl).

Graduated a few years ago and now i'm an ironmonger. Academia works.

what kind of ironwork do you do?

• Members

what kind of ironwork do you do?

Mainly gate compnents, locks etc. Straight sliding and sliding/folding doors, architectural components for glass doors, shower cubicles. {censored} like dat.

• Members

I have an Associates of Arts in English from a local community college that I started at while I was finishing up my high school work. In some ways it was great, but in others it was an absolute waste. It was great in that I finished a smaller degree that allowed me to not have to take some courses at my University now, and in that classes were way cheaper. That said, the classes were much less difficult or challenging, in fact even less so than some of my high school work. I definitely somewhat understand the questioning of the value of community colleges, but there are clearly exceptions.

That said, I'm 12 hours shy of a B.A. in English from the University of Texas at Arlington, and will likely have nothing in my field available without continuing to graduate school, and even then the market is so poor I'm not guaranteed anything.

Just like anything else, I guess all CCs are not created equally.

• Members

Salem state. B.S. policital science. Minor history.

Cool, my dad went to Salem State.

Undergrad: University of Delaware 2006, Bachelors Mechanical Engineering (concentration in Biomedical Engineering), Minor in Computer Science

After working for a couple years...

Graduate: University of Delaware 2011, MS Mechanical Engineering (Biomedical "certificate" or whatever they call it)... came back because the prof I'm working for is big time in biomedical research, especially ACL research :thu:

• Members

I know I could Google this but what is a 'community college' and why is it a kind of institution that someone might feel embarrassed to be associated with?

In those united states a "community college" is like a university that anybody can go to I think.

Since they finish high school so young the smart ones use it like a sixth form to save themselves two years of tuition loans that are probably MORE 'general' than our sixth form is.

• Members

In those united states a "community college" is like a university that anybody can go to I think.

Since they finish high school so young the smart ones use it like a sixth form to save themselves two years of tuition loans that are probably MORE 'general' than our sixth form is.

I thought they finished school at 18? It sounds a bit like a college of Further and Higher Education, which often offer foundation and access courses (amongst other things) for people that want to attend university but lack the required A Levels.

How long would someone study at university after attending a community college for a couple of years?

• Members

University of Westminster: BA Hons in English Literature.

Hopefully going to the New School in NYC next year.

Yes! I have a few friends who are enrolled there now. I'm actually considering it myself.

Let's both move there and start a 3 guitar army with SAL!

• Members

I know I could Google this but what is a 'community college' and why is it a kind of institution that someone might feel embarrassed to be associated with?

Community colleges are government supported colleges that give two-year degrees (we call them Associate's degrees in the states, not sure if there is an equivalent in Europe). You can take classes for super cheap, I took a full load of classes with books and it cost $2000 for a semester. Most people feel embarrassed to be associated with them because the idea is to educate as many people as possible - so some of the people who didn't do so well in high school go there as a way to boost their grades to get into a more desirable school. They pretty much accept anyone. A lot of people also go there if they are unsure what they want to study - they can just take general classes for cheap and not sacrifice a year of time toward a degree.

On the flip side many of these schools offer classes that are just as good as the ones from a 'desirable' university and it saves a boatload of student loans. A lot of military folks use CCs as a way to conserve the money their GI bill allows them so they can use it to get their Bachelors from a larger institution without going into debt. Needless to say, I have a very high opinion of the idea after attending one and I wish to be able to teach one class a semester at one after I finish my schooling.

• Members

Spent some time in CSUN & CSULB here in California. Wanted to be an elementary teacher. Dropped out due to the high cost of going to school. Good thing too cos teachers in CA are being cut on an everyday basis for lack of government funds.

Should've went to law school. :p

• Members

Community colleges are government supported colleges that give two-year degrees (we call them Associate's degrees in the states, not sure if there is an equivalent in Europe). You can take classes for super cheap,
I took a full load of classes with books and it cost $2000 for a semester.
Most people feel embarrassed to be associated with them because the idea is to educate as many people as possible - so some of the people who didn't do so well in high school go there as a way to boost their grades to get into a more desirable school. They pretty much accept anyone. A lot of people also go there if they are unsure what they want to study - they can just take general classes for cheap and not sacrifice a year of time toward a degree.

On the flip side many of these schools offer classes that are just as good as the ones from a 'desirable' university and it saves a boatload of student loans. A lot of military folks use CCs as a way to conserve the money their GI bill allows them so they can use it to get their Bachelors from a larger institution without going into debt. Needless to say, I have a very high opinion of the idea after attending one and I wish to be able to teach one class a semester at one after I finish my schooling.

WTF? I thought it was free. That's horrific!

• Members

San Francisco State: English Literature.

U.C. Berkeley: MA American Literature.

Ha!

Otherway around for me:

B.A. in English, Berkeley

M.A. English, SFSU

Also just finished a Technical and Professional Writing Cert. at SFSU. Currently work in a library and intern as an editor. Looking for full-time editing work in the Fall.

• Members
WTF? I thought it was free. That's horrific!

:D

There are only a handful of free colleges in the U.S. that I can think of. And you have to be very strapped for cash and a promising student to get into those.

$2000 ain't bad. I managed to make ends meet pretty easily during that time.

Archived