RIP STEVE JOBS

kismet78

• Members

wow that's crazy... this is gonna have big impacts everywhere like him or not. I know for sure its gonna have rippling effects in the next year of my career (I am heavily involved in mobile development). I wonder what this means for Apple they just lost their visionary/icon. Tim Cook is not really noteworthy by comparison.

I agree with the notion that Apple is fairly doomed without him. Apple is company of thousands of people... but Steve Jobs was the reason it was what it was, he is the reason it became what it was in the beginning... when he left it nearly died... and when he came back it became what it is today. I have serious doubts current exectutives of the company will be able to keep his pace or have the ability to make the right choices that he had... Apples success is not based on luck.

Also I wonder how Bill Gates feels about this right now. The ying just lost its yang in terms of tech celebrity status.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was just thinking about this.

Hopefully when he first new about his condition it would have occurred to him that the company needs the right culture and systems in place to survive his passing.

Further to that, the company is in a much stronger position now than when he was ousted.

Apple was way ahead of the game last time, just like they are right now. When Apple was failing last time Microsoft was pointed to as part of the cause of it. Being threatened with a monopoly breakup Microsoft [bill Gates] bought a large controlling interest in Apple and put Steve Jobs back at the helm knowing Steve could bring the company back to life and he did just that. That saved two companies in one shot actually.

Steve just was one of the most crazy innovative person and was the greatest salesman you'll ever meet. He could make a pile of horse manure look like the most attractive thing on the planet.

Seriously the personal computer didn't have a lot going for it when it first came out but Steve made everyone think they needed it. I foresee Apple getting out of the personal computer business within the next five years. After that in the coarse of the next ten years I bet that they'll sell off the rest of their technologies to other larger corporations.

bought a large controlling interest in Apple and put Steve Jobs back at the helm knowing Steve could bring the company back to life and he did just that. That saved two companies in one shot actually.

Agreed.

Steve just was one of the most crazy innovative person and was the greatest salesman you'll ever meet. He could make a pile of horse manure look like the most attractive thing on the planet.

Yeah, he had a real talent for that. He was the original and best of all the Mac Evangelists, but he did it with so many new technologies and tools.

Seriously the personal computer didn't have a lot going for it when it first came out but Steve made everyone think they needed it.

Again, he was a terrific evangelist for what the future could be, and for what people could possibly do with computers and technology, but while I don't want to take anything away from his considerable contributions and freely admit the tech world would look considerably different today if he hadn't lived, I still think computers would have developed into consumer products sooner or later with or without Steve.

I foresee Apple getting out of the personal computer business within the next five years. After that in the coarse of the next ten years I bet that they'll sell off the rest of their technologies to other larger corporations.

And do what? Strictly streaming stuff? OS and cloud stuff? Sell off and go out of business?

I think this is a blow for Apple, but I don't think this will be the end of them, or the beginning of the end or anything like that. I don't see them being the same company in 10 years that they are today, but they're not the same today that they were ten years ago. I suspect Apple is bigger than Steve, and will survive him, in a large part because of him and the corporate culture and spirit of innovation he had so much to do with setting up there and the people he mentored there. I may be wrong, but I don't think so. :idk: Time will tell....

• Members
I think this is a blow for Apple, but I don't think this will be the end of them, or the beginning of the end or anything like that. I don't see them being the same company in 10 years that they are today, but they're not the same today that they were ten years ago.
I suspect Apple is bigger than Steve, and will survive him, in a large part because of him and the corporate culture and spirit of innovation he had so much to do with setting up there and the people he mentored there.
I may be wrong, but I don't think so.
:idk:
Time will tell....

This is what I was getting at with my earlier post.

• Members

And do what? Strictly streaming stuff? OS and cloud stuff? Sell off and go out of business? Time will tell....

Right now Apple's biggest profit margin is in the mobile phone market. If they weren't leading in the mobile phone market I don't think they would be a competitive company in this market. Apple has always found a market nitche like that throughout its history with Steve as its guiding light. In five years it's going to be something completely different I assure you. Someone else might have the vision over at Apple to foresee the next big thing before it happens, who can say? But Steve seemed to have a crystal ball see into the future or better he created the future that was seen in the crystal ball.

Archived