offsquiers

victor2k

• Members

The Jazzmaster specs the same pickups as the VM Jazzmaster Special, which are the Duncan Designed versions of the SJM-2b Hot (bridge) and the SJM-1n Vintage (neck). The SJM-2b is ridiculously hot, I wonder how it mates with the vintage output neck pickup.

But, on a $300 guitar, you can afford to replace one or the other.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a three hundred dollar guitar, you pretty much expect to replace the pups - at least I normally do. I expect the stock units to work and sound decent, but at that price, I'm not expecting top of the line pickups... and since one of my core beliefs as an engineer is that "transducers matter - a LOT", I tend to like to pick and choose my own anyway, unless it's a considerably higher-end guitar.

Heck, at $300, Squier could leave all the electronics out of them and I'd still want one. :lol: Actually, probably two. I WILL have that Surf Green Jag - or SOME Jag - by the end of the year. It's my 50th birthday in September, and damnit, I'm getting me a Jag. Since we're both 50 this year, I should probably splurge and get the anniversary model, but anyway... Surf Green Jag, plus I have to get a Sonic Blue Mustang to help round out the collection. I have red, green and even pink - but nothing in blue. Gotta have one in blue too. :D

AllThreeShortscales1.jpg

• Members

On a three hundred dollar guitar, you pretty much expect to replace the pups - at least I normally do. I expect the stock units to work and sound decent, but at that price, I'm not expecting top of the line pickups... and since one of my core beliefs as an engineer is that "transducers matter - a LOT", I tend to like to pick and choose my own anyway, unless it's a considerably higher-end guitar.

Heck, at $300, Squier could leave all the electronics out of them and I'd
still
want one.
:lol:
Actually, probably two. I WILL have that Surf Green Jag - or SOME Jag - by the end of the year. It's my 50th birthday in September, and damnit, I'm getting me a Jag. Since we're both 50 this year, I should probably splurge and get the anniversary model, but anyway... Surf Green Jag, plus I have to get a Sonic Blue Mustang to help round out the collection. I have red, green and even pink - but nothing in blue. Gotta have one in blue too.
:D

AllThreeShortscales1.jpg

Phil i just realized something amazing. You are like the hank hill of internet forums. You are so well mannered and polite. You are like jesus among savages. Your parents must have been pleasant.

The word on the OSG street is May or June. Apparently they're already in production. So, going by rumors,
SOON

May seems pretty optimistic to me. June makes more sense. If Fender's planning on going to summer NAMM this year, I suspect they'd want to have them available by then - and NAMM starts on July 12th.

• Members

Squier Mascis Jazzmaster discontinued per Music123/MF. The other online retailers still have it as coming soon.

Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster Electric Guitar
Product #H77423

Unavailable
Item Note:

This product has been discontinued but may be available as a used item.

• Members

Squier Mascis Jazzmaster discontinued per Music123/MF. The other online retailers still have it as coming soon.

Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster Electric Guitar

Product #H77423

Unavailable

Item Note:

This product has been discontinued but may be available as a used item.

MF and M123 have been going through some kind of glitch over the past day or two, where a lot of guitars have been listed as discontinued. I'd be pretty surprised if Fender killed a super-seller like the Mascis JM, even if it was to prep for new (and better :)) models.

• Members

im guessing a redisign on the mascis

Hopefully Fender is looking at the sales of the Johnny Marr Jaguar vs the 50th Anniversary Jaguar and realizing that people actually don't want the moved tremolo.

How great would it be if this actually led to an American Standard Jaguar, Jazzmaster, and Mustang?

Archived