Your favourite picks, and why?

• Members

Would you say the Euro model is the closest equivalent to the JazzIII?

I think it might be. It's got a bit wider of a holding surface, but it's about the same size. I can take a comparison photo for you if you'd like. (FYI

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I could blast through a .73 Tortex in a few weeks at times. And I've had the clear Euro since March... and while it's got some slight wear, I'm actually really impressed by how well it's held up.

I think it might be. It's got a bit wider of a holding surface, but it's about the same size. I can take a comparison photo for you if you'd like. (FYI

• Members

Roughly how long would a regular nylon last you before you started using these?

What about scraping them along the strings? Does that easily leave them notched?

I used Tortex 1.00s prior to the V-Picks, only recently been into the Hercos. The Tortex would last me maybe 2-3 months.

I don't do any pick scrapes.

• Members

The V-picks stiletto is going to be the analogue for a Jazz III. I have one and i prefer it to a regular red Jazz, but I've fallen in love with the Medium Pointed V-picks.

Also, they last for freaking ever, btw. Had mine for years with no real change in the tips or wear.

• Members

^^ I'm not so sure you're right about that. The Stiletto comes to a much sharper point than the Jazz III, whereas the Euro actually has a slightly more rounded end. Something in the middle of those two would probably be spot on, but I'm sitting here comparing the Euro to a CFJ3 and save the slightly broader holding surface I mentioned previously, the two are strikingly similar.

• Members

I have a V-Pick traditional 4mm. It's da bes.

I used to use Dunlop 1.5mm picks but ever since I switched to baritone gauge strings they were done in about half an hour of use. No pick scrapes.

• Members

I ordered the starter pack, use them regularly, and they still show no signs of wear. I really like the thin V-Pick.

I've been looking at the V-picks site and they sell selection packs of their most popular picks.

There's the

or the

Then there's the insanely priced

I am considering ordering a couple of v-pick packs but consider them to be excessively pricey for picks. I have been looking for opiniions as to their durability compated to a jazz III before their point becomes appreciably rounded but there's not much to be found on the matter. Most reviewers are all about how they stick to your fingers or the chirp they make with the strings rather than their longevity.

If they lasted 5 times as long as a nylon pick I'd be more at peace with a commensurate multiple pricewise.

• Members

Yellow tortex for guitar, purple tortex for bass.

I like the texture; it means they don't fly out of my sweaty grasp like the smoother ones do.

This is what I like about the tortex picks too, but I'm sure they're not the only gig in town for sweaty-fingered guitarists.

So far my shopping list looks like being a V-Pick and a selection of the Dunlop pleccies everybody else is rocking- nylons, Ultex, Jazz 3s etc. Are people generally favouring the MaxGrip Jazz 3s? Is the carbon fibre worth the extra few pence?

I like the idea of the picks & stones stuff but it's pretty spendy.

• Members

This is what I like about the tortex picks too, but I'm sure they're not the only gig in town for sweaty-fingered guitarists.

So far my shopping list looks like being a V-Pick and a selection of the Dunlop pleccies everybody else is rocking- nylons, Ultex, Jazz 3s etc. Are people generally favouring the MaxGrip Jazz 3s? Is the carbon fibre worth the extra few pence?

I like the idea of the picks & stones stuff but it's pretty spendy.

Picks are pretty cheap, just buy one of each and test them out.

Stringsdirect have a pretty wide range, and free postage over a tenner so it might be worth it if you need a couple of packs of strings.

• Members

these:

0980351871_frt_wlg_001.jpg

and these:

1326_1_medium.jpg

i use these in 73 and 88 depending on my mood

also use my fingers, mainly for slide.

the green fender picks i use on lead and thrashing, i find their tone much more likable than tortex picks, even though they last about 1/4 of the lifespan.

the dunlop nylons for U2 type of stuff with delay, i usually hold them sideways so the texture scratches the strings.

i always use the nylons on acoustic.

• Members

fender heavy or jazz 3 (esp the one with the better grip, love those).

only prob with jazz 3's are for deathmetal you gotta really attack to get the same kind of movement as a fender heavy/bigger pick.

if i could find these with a sharper edge (that wouldn't cost me a fortune) i'd have the right middleground

gp-34j-w-150.jpg

Archived